12 cups of water...

Options
So today I've had about 10-12 glasses of water. Is this a bad thing? I have a water bottle that holds 4 cups, so I try and drink 2 of these a day. Well, for some reason today I've drunk so much water! I'm almost through my 3 refill. I was just wondering if you can have too much water? I haven't drunk it all at once, it's been throughout the day, with meals and what have you. I've been trying to drink water instead of snacking.

The little picture of a water glass on MFP is now overflowing and I wondered if it was trying to tell me something? Lol

Replies

• Disciplined74
    Disciplined74 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can drink too much water.

I used to work for a doctor and his rule of thumb was 1/2 of your weight in ounces. So if you weigh 200 pounds then drink 100 ounces of water.

10-12 glasses is alot but maybe you needed it. If you are drinking it then you are just flushing out the toxins faster.

I think you are fine.

Eva
  • avalonfloyd
    Options
    Okay, thanks. I didn't think it was too much. I mean, I know you can get water intoxication, but I think that's from drinking a ton all at once, and I've been exercising all day and what have you. Guess I was just extra thirsty today!
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    You can drink too much water but you'd seriously have to drink GALLONS AND GALLONS in a short amount of time to die.

Having 12 glasses of water is fine. Hell, I usually drink around 18 everyday.
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    As long as you are going to the bathroom and getting rid of the water you'll be fine. I actually find that the more water I drink the more weight I lose.
  • angellynn261
    Options
    As long as it is spread throughout the day, and you are going to the bathroom like you should, you are fine. You may have been a little dehydrated, and your body just needed it. I actually had a urologist tell me to drink 2 gallons one day, spread out throughout the day of course, to flush out my kidneys.
  • McGruber03
    Options
    it is possible to drink too much, but unlikely if you are drinking it throughout the day. If you are having headaches, you could be drinking too much. Look up the story called "No Wee for a Wii". It was a radio contest where they were competing for a wii, the winner was who could drink the most water and not pee. A young mother came in second, but died when she got home from water intoxication, otherwise known as hyponatremia (low blood sodium). I think it was a radio program in California. Again, it usually only happens in extreme cases, so, possible, but unlikely.
  • RDTaylor13
    Options
    I've been drinking about 8-12 cups of water too, and it's been helping me to lose weight. but I have read that too much water can cause your system to lose needed salts, and sugars, which can be bad for your system. my suggestion would be to try and stick around 8 glasses, and talk to your family doctor, he would/should know better.
  • meggiemaye
    Options
    Bizarre as it may sound, drinking too much water can be unhealthy. A girl in my class died from overhydrating. It's called water intoxication...at high enough levels, water works exactly like a poison. It disturbs your electrolytes and you can die. It's not even that rare of a thing.

Still, most often it happens to athletes or people who are intentionally trying to drink tons of water. It's unlikely that you could drink enough to do that to yourself on accident. But drinking as much water as possible should never ever be your goal. Drink when you're hungry or thirsty. That's when your body is telling you that you need water. Your kidneys can only get rid of about 20 to 30 ounces of water an hour, so you should never exceed that. :)
  • ziggythecat
    ziggythecat Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've read somewhere that your kidneys are maxed out at processing 14 liters of water. Unless those were really big cups, you're safe. I try to drink 120 ounces of water a day. I've felt better because of it.
  • RainyDayProphet
    Options
    There is a condition that can be fatal from drinking too much water........ but

http://drbenkim.com/drink-too-much-water-dangerous.html

You'd have to drink a couple gallons to get to that point.
  • rsua2281
    Options
    You can have too much water...drink lots but don't over do it, and use the toilet frequently, if you don't, you risk water poisoning.
  • rsua2281
    Options
    my thoughts exactly some people have died from too much water. it's rare but it happens!
  • BrockDoe
    Options
    Do you exercise daily, drink coffee, diet soda? All these things dehydrate you, therefore drinking more water is required! :)
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I drink anywhere from 10-20 glasses (8oz ones) a day, depending on how thristy I am...
    It is possible, but rare to drink enough water to die
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    nah. I regularly drink 3-4 litres of water per day (12-16 cups)
  • avalonfloyd
    Options
    I was going to the bathroom regularly (if not a lot! lol), and I was exercising throughout the day - 10 minutes here, 20 minutes there, so I think that's where it came from. I had 2 cups of coffee yesterday, (I usually only have 1), so maybe that was making me more dehydrated. We'll see how today goes and if I drink as much!
  • BrockDoe
    Options
    well for every cup of coffee/soda you should have two cups of water :)
    You'll be okay haha, i drink about 4 Litres of water a day. But train/drink coffee daily too :D
  • biggerpix
    Options
    For those of us who hate water...I love the vitamin zero water you can get at speedway. Meijer carries a carbonated flavored water called Crytal Quenchers. A lady at the gym today told me she hates water too, so she gets Special K flavor packets and puts those into her water. I found some in the Crytal Light version. I bought 2 boxes (a fruit punch and a lemonade flavor) that have 0 calories. I bought a bigger box for making a pitcher of water that only has 5 calories. I don't know why, but I hate plain water. I love this fruit punch flavor and think that I will lay off the soda if I use this stuff.
    I love my hot tea and coffee too. Luckily, they don't have an effect on my weigh ins since I had almost a whole pot of coffee 2 days ago and still lost 2 pounds.
    Just an idea to help those of you who, like me, can't stand water and struggle to get down more than 8 cups.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I drink 16 cups almost every day.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    For those of us who hate water...I love the vitamin zero water you can get at speedway. Meijer carries a carbonated flavored water called Crytal Quenchers. A lady at the gym today told me she hates water too, so she gets Special K flavor packets and puts those into her water. I found some in the Crytal Light version. I bought 2 boxes (a fruit punch and a lemonade flavor) that have 0 calories. I bought a bigger box for making a pitcher of water that only has 5 calories. I don't know why, but I hate plain water. I love this fruit punch flavor and think that I will lay off the soda if I use this stuff.
    I love my hot tea and coffee too. Luckily, they don't have an effect on my weigh ins since I had almost a whole pot of coffee 2 days ago and still lost 2 pounds.
    Just an idea to help those of you who, like me, can't stand water and struggle to get down more than 8 cups.

*Points Of Information*
    Carbonated drinks thin your bones once you get into middle age(late 30's) and caffeine in moderation is good for energy boost 30 minutes B4 cardio but essentially is a diuretic.