Running Apps?

Options
Hey everyone!

In the age of smart phones, there's no shortage of running apps that can turn you from couch potato to pavement jockey in no time, but what are your favorites and why? Which ones have worked best for you? Do they sync with MFP?

I just downloaded "Zombies, Run!" (paid app, about $2) which is an app/game that trains you to run 5k by way of making you the main character of a survival plot that progresses as you go through each mission. I'm really, really excited to try it (which I'll be doing tomorrow since it's pitch black right now!)!

Lately though, I've been using "MapMyRun" (free app) which integrates itself into MFP and counts calories lost, how far and fast you run, and automatically syncs your lost calories to your diary (which, awesome!). It does a rough estimate, but it uses your height and weight to gauge how many calories you lose per run. I find it a little more reliable than MFP's calorie tracker for walking/jogging/running.

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Zombies Run is great!

For my normal runs I use jog log. It's really customizable. It integrates with Runkeeper too. I found the map my xxx apps to have bad GPS tracking.
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have the C25K app from Zen Labs which I use on the treadmill a lot. What I like about it is that it allows me to play music that I have stored in my phone so I don't get board. Plus it's free.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I'll second Zombies Run AND their C25k app.

I actually submitted one of the radio call-ins for ZR because I love it so much, but I've never gotten far enough along to hear it! lol
  • GI_John_RN
    GI_John_RN Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo. It syncs with MFP. I like it quite a bit.
  • kenuk1
    kenuk1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Runtastic Pro, simply because it seems to be the best for connectivity with my Wahoo blue HR, the others all seem to have their own issues although it might just be my experience. Always used Endomondo until I finally stuck with the runtastic app.
  • rodduz
    rodduz Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Strava is the best. Use it for my riding as I don't really run, only hill sprints. But you can make segments on it so that you can compete against yourself and strangers to see who has done certain segments or loops quickest etc. If you're the quickest you get the title of quickest for that particular created segment

Shows your improvements over time etc to with PRs.

Other than that Endomondo I used to like, used to like the functionality that somebody can track you at home and type in things online and it would shout them out to you as you run, good encouragement. Endomondo also syncs with MFP so there's two birds with one stone....