Running hurts - What else loses weight?

Hi guys. I'm 20 yrs old, 5'4", and 153 lbs. A good portion of my body weight is muscle, but I've got a lot of stubborn fat I can't lose on my thighs, belly, and arms. It's driving me crazy that the best weight loss exercise -- running -- is almost impossible for me. Sometimes running gives me asthmatic fits (the only exercise that leaves me frightened that I can't breathe), and the end of every running / jogging session leaves me in a lot of pain.

What else can I do? I do a ton of core-targeting exercises like V Ups (50-100 a day) and power walk 5 miles each day, but no matter how many inches I lose, I can't get a pound under 150. Suggestions?

Replies

• running4thehigh
    running4thehigh Posts: 144 Member
    Swimming, biking, the elliptical.

^ all low-impact exercises, whereas the first and the last give you awesome total body work-outs.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    The best weight loss exercise isn't an exercise at all, it's your nutrition. Eat at a calorie deficit.

You also can't spot reduce fat, calorie deficit takes care of that as well.

If you're looking for a body recomp, I suggest a progressive strength training program.
  • algwynt
    algwynt Posts: 76 Member
    get a bike.your outdoors and the calorie burn is high little impact on your body compared to running.good riding
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    As a runner I'd actually disagree that it's the 'best' weight loss exercise, plus it's so harsh on the body (as you've found). Personally I lose the most body fat by doing the Fitness Blender HIIT's on youtube, they only take 20-35 mins and almost feel like cheating they are so effective for me. Try HIIT like a Girl or Brutal HIIT Ladder.

And as Steve0820 says nutrition is the key and his suggestion of strength training also fits with the Fitness Blender Workouts as they are mostly body weight moves which build strength before you move onto weights perhaps. Spend more time on HIIT & less doing V-situps IMO.

Just my 2p/2c
  • running4thehigh
    running4thehigh Posts: 144 Member
    Sorry you can't run though. Running has to be the most wonderful thing on earth.
    :love:
  • Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try them and see how they work.

@steve: I'm a little concerned about doing strength exercises because I want to build lean muscle. My body is quick to build up bulky, weighty muscle (and lose it too!) but the fat burn is a constant challenge. As for the calorie deficit, I'm not actually sure if I'm eating enough. I typically have 2 meals a day (I live on my own so I can get lazy with cooking). I don't eat fast food, and I only drink water... and mochas. Actually I probably get most of my calories from my mocha a day.

@running4thehigh: I love that you love running! I've always wished that I could enjoy running. It's never the running itself that hurts me (sometimes I feel like I can run forever), it's the stopping and realizing that I can't breathe. x.x

@sdreed25: Thanks, I'll check out the HIIT videos on Youtube. (But I love the feeling of a good ab burn between workouts!)
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Try running slower. If you are finding it really, really hard, you're probably just going too fast. Most people do this at first because they think 'oh, running! That's when you go fast!' and then go sprinting off at a pace they can't sustain. If you start off at not more than 50% faster than walking pace you might surprise yourself.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Running doesn't lose weight. Watching your calories does.

Exercise is great! Do it for the fitness value first, the calorie burn is secondary in that one can always out eat exercise.
    Do something you enjoy, do it with some consistence.

My go to: running, cycling, hiking, climbing.

Eta:(I'm not even going to talk about "lean muscle" and the bulky thing. Suffice to say someone will come along and explain this misconception)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Try running slower. If you are finding it really, really hard, you're probably just going too fast. Most people do this at first because they think 'oh, running! That's when you go fast!' and then go sprinting off at a pace they can't sustain. If you start off at not more than 50% faster than walking pace you might surprise yourself.
    This it sounds like your running way too fast you should be able to hold a conversation. Also the best way to lose weight is a calorie deficit how you create that is up to you. Diet is really for weightloss and exercise for fitness.You can exercise till the cows come home but if your eating too much it wont make any difference to your weight.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Sometimes running gives me asthmatic fits (the only exercise that leaves me frightened that I can't breathe), and the end of every running / jogging session leaves me in a lot of pain.

What that suggests to me is that you're probably running too fast, or for too long and not giving your body time to adapt to the additional stresses that running places on it. Many people find the transition to including running in their programme difficult, and if you can power walk for 30-40 minutes there is no reason that you can't run.

With that in mind what I'd suggest is using some form of plan to develop running capacity. Either make it up on your own; run for 5 minutes, then each time you go out add a minute per session, or use a pre-packaged plan like Couch to 5K which is aimed at getting you to a 30 minute continuous run. Lots of new runners note that they do find it difficult to breathe, and that's normally an indicator that they're going too fast. There is a lot of good advice in the C25K group here; http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

Notwithstanding all of that, while running does consume a lot of calories, it predominantly how that expenditure compares with your energy intake that determines weight loss; calories in vs calories out.

fwiw I enjoy running for a number of reasons, and while it's helped me lose weight and significantly reduce my bodyfat percentage, that's not been a quick process. I'm far less concerned with scale weight than when I started this process 14 months ago, and work on the basis of how my running performance is improving, and how my clothes fit. Note that I'd be very sceptical of any muscle gain that you think you see, if you're not eating enough. Gaining muscle takes time and effort, and if you're not planning it then it's extremely unlikely that it's going to happen.

One of the big benefits for me is that it's very easy to do, I'm not dependent on any equipment except my shoes and I'm not stuck inside an air conditioned box. Alternatives that I'd suggest that burn up similar level sof calories would be cycling, swimming and rowing.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member

Yup, this. Assuming you don't actually *have* asthma, if your chest is on fire when you run it sounds like you're just going too fast too soon. Running is something you need to build up slowly - have you tried the Couch to 5k program?

But anyway, running isn't necessarily the "best" exercise for fat burning - any cardio will help shift the flab, especially if you are also doing strength training (because the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn when doing any exercise!. Swimming is great cardio, and also great for all over toning. How about dancing, skating, cycling...anything that gets your heart rate up is good cardio. Your 5 mile power walk sounds like great cardio!!

If you're eating at a deficit and doing those strength exercises AND power walking 5 miles a day (wow) then I'm surprised you're not losing weight. Is it true that you're not losing any weight, or is it just that it's coming off slowly or not where you want it to? Unfortunately you can;t spot reduce fat as others have said, but if you are losing weight then it is coming off - just be patient!
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try them and see how they work.

@steve: I'm a little concerned about doing strength exercises because I want to build lean muscle. My body is quick to build up bulky, weighty muscle (and lose it too!) but the fat burn is a constant challenge. As for the calorie deficit, I'm not actually sure if I'm eating enough. I typically have 2 meals a day (I live on my own so I can get lazy with cooking). I don't eat fast food, and I only drink water... and mochas. Actually I probably get most of my calories from my mocha a day.

@running4thehigh: I love that you love running! I've always wished that I could enjoy running. It's never the running itself that hurts me (sometimes I feel like I can run forever), it's the stopping and realizing that I can't breathe. x.x

@sdreed25: Thanks, I'll check out the HIIT videos on Youtube. (But I love the feeling of a good ab burn between workouts!)

If you're new to resistance training, you'll be able to build some muscle at a deficit, but not much, and you certainly won't be "bulky", unless you start eating 3000-4000 cals a day. You want to make sure you're eating enough to fuel your workouts, but also, be under your cals for a weight loss. That's a matter of playing around with your macros and tracking everything to find your "sweet spot". The issue a lot of people have is underestimating their calorie intake.

I love running as well, I do it mainly for my overall well being and not weight loss. For me, it's my alone time, were I can forget life's stress and zone out and just run with my fav tunes. I hope you can find a way to at least do a little running OP if you enjoy it.
  • chiqey
    chiqey Posts: 13
    Yeah you need to go slower ... and if it's too hard go slower again ... Fitness will build up over time if you give it a chance. The important thing is you're moving. If you make it too difficult on yourself you will want to give up. Running for me used to feel like punishment til I learned to slow down and slowly I learned to love it.
  • Elektrolyfe
    Elektrolyfe Posts: 151 Member
    As others have said, diet is the biggest component in losing weight; I do maybe at most 1 15 minute HIIT cardio session a week and I am still consistently losing weight.
  • Ryderod
    Ryderod Posts: 103 Member
    The best weight loss exercise isn't an exercise at all, it's your nutrition. Eat at a calorie deficit.

You also can't spot reduce fat, calorie deficit takes care of that as well.

If you're looking for a body recomp, I suggest a progressive strength training program.

^^^^
    This..
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    I can't run because of severe arthritis in my hip. I do the elliptical when I do cardio (which is very rarely). You can also swim, walk or ride your bike.
  • the_great_beyond_
    the_great_beyond_ Posts: 157 Member
    You can do cardio with almost any exercise... just do it at an intensity level where your heart rate gets up to a certain level and keep doing it for a set time...

If you can switch around the intensity (using a Tabata or other HIIT method), thats even better.

Running is something people choose to do because they've been doing it their whole life (though most people need to learn how to run... and walk... and breath). Don't get carried away by the hype, its definitely not the BEST or even the most efficient way to do cardio.