Diet and weight loss.

Options
Critique my food diary. Any serious advice appreciated. :wink:

Replies

• azrrt76
    azrrt76 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi! I think your diary looks great, personally. You probably are somewhat under-eating, especially if you are burning 600+ calories a day and eating 1200ish.

I am curious what you do for exercise and how you calculate your calories burned.

I will be following this thread to see what advice you get!
  • BAsInBevin
    BAsInBevin Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Do you have a name of the "full-fat yogurt" that I can try? I've tried the plain greek yogurts and just can't hack them. They are disgusting. Ugh. I've also thought about replacing my yogurt with plain oatmeal. That I can do but it's not going to have the protien that I need to get through my work out.
  • BAsInBevin
    Options
    Hi! I think your diary looks great, personally. You probably are somewhat under-eating, especially if you are burning 600+ calories a day and eating 1200ish.

I am curious what you do for exercise and how you calculate your calories burned.

I will be following this thread to see what advice you get!

I typically run/jog 3.1 miles at about 5.8mph and then complete my cardio work out with a brisk walk @ 7.0 incline intervals to keep my heart rate in a fat burning zone for 60 minutes. My feet are hurting very seriously lately though and I can't seem to get much releif. I've been icing them several times a day and using heat before my work outs but I'm starting to think I need to weigh out some different work out options to obtain the same about of cardio without injuring myself. :-/
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    there is nothing wrong with your diary....
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    why are you eating so little? what are your stats, theres probably no need for you to only be eating 1200 cals.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Taking a look at your diary I see a few things...

You don't use a food scale...that is key on being accurate with calorie counts

Measure liquids, weigh solids.

Some of your entries are suspect as they begin with Generic, try looking for entries that don't start with the words generic, homemade (unless you made it) or an * as they are user entered and could be incorrect.

I see that there are days you don't track at all...or partially track..you have to be consistent with your log.

As well your daily goals are very low 1200 is the min that MFP will give you...if you set reasonable weekly weight loss goals it makes this more sustainable.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

And you don't eat back exercise calories...that will lead to issues...

MFP is set so you already have a deficit built in so the goal is to eat back your exercise calories to fuel your next workout. By not eating them back you are netting less than 500 calories a day which is very unhealthy and when you are eating so little your body will burn fat yes and you will lose weight but you will also lose muscle mass...and as a woman in her mid 30's you need to preserve as much as you can.

As well don't switch out yogurt it is a good protien source. I like Dannone fit and light greek...it has 80 calories and 12grams of protien...

The processed foods etc are not an issue really...if you look at my diary there are lots of those too...organic whole foods don't help you lose weight any faster than other stuff...it's all about how much you eat not the types of foods you eat.
  • VanessaMP90
    VanessaMP90 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Critique my food diary. Any serious advice appreciated. :wink:

ADD SOME MORE VEGGIES FOR YOUR LUNCH AND DINNER TO MAKE IT MORE EXCITING :) I LOVE MY PLATES COLORFUL
  • BAsInBevin
    Options
    Taking a look at your diary I see a few things...

You don't use a food scale...that is key on being accurate with calorie counts

Measure liquids, weigh solids.

Some of your entries are suspect as they begin with Generic, try looking for entries that don't start with the words generic, homemade (unless you made it) or an * as they are user entered and could be incorrect.

I see that there are days you don't track at all...or partially track..you have to be consistent with your log.

As well your daily goals are very low 1200 is the min that MFP will give you...if you set reasonable weekly weight loss goals it makes this more sustainable.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

And you don't eat back exercise calories...that will lead to issues...

MFP is set so you already have a deficit built in so the goal is to eat back your exercise calories to fuel your next workout. By not eating them back you are netting less than 500 calories a day which is very unhealthy and when you are eating so little your body will burn fat yes and you will lose weight but you will also lose muscle mass...and as a woman in her mid 30's you need to preserve as much as you can.

As well don't switch out yogurt it is a good protien source. I like Dannone fit and light greek...it has 80 calories and 12grams of protien...

The processed foods etc are not an issue really...if you look at my diary there are lots of those too...organic whole foods don't help you lose weight any faster than other stuff...it's all about how much you eat not the types of foods you eat.

I bought a food scale a few days ago and began weighing my portions. I'm trying to be as accurate as I possibly can. If I cheat, I'm only cheating myself. Thanks for all of the advice. I want to lose more weight than .5 a week though. Once I get to the weight I need to be at, I'm good at maintaining it. It's just getting there...
  • BAsInBevin
    Options
    why are you eating so little? what are your stats, theres probably no need for you to only be eating 1200 cals.

People keep saying that but I don't feel like I'm depriving myself at all... If my body says that it's hungry, I eat. I'll try to up my calories but I've been in crunch time for summer! :-)
  • TavistockToad
    Options

People keep saying that but I don't feel like I'm depriving myself at all... If my body says that it's hungry, I eat. I'll try to up my calories but I've been in crunch time for summer! :-)

the thing is, when you crash diet to lose as much weight as possible as quickly as possible, like you're doing, you probably wont like the end result anyway, as you're burning muscle along with the fat. you're also decreasing the speed of your metablosim so it makes maintaining even harder and you still look squishy and wobbly instead of lean and toned when you do get to your goal weight.
  • BAsInBevin
    Options
    Do you have a name of the "full-fat yogurt" that I can try? I've tried the plain greek yogurts and just can't hack them. They are disgusting. Ugh. I've also thought about replacing my yogurt with plain oatmeal. That I can do but it's not going to have the protien that I need to get through my work out.

For a nationally available brand I'd go with Stonyfield Farms. Again add some real fruit to it, but the big name varieties like Yoplait all add sugar in with their fruit. They also typically have less live active cultures.

Replacing it with oatmeal would work, but same deal you want to not buy the instant/refined sugar added variety. Make steal cut or old fashioned and add a good grass-fed butter, apples, raisins, and cinnamon. Mmmmm...

Damn - that oatmeal sounds delicious! I'm going to try that tomorrow morning! Thanks.
  • BAsInBevin
    Options
    Damn - that oatmeal sounds delicious! I'm going to try that tomorrow morning! Thanks.

My pleasure. Here's what you want to do... Take an apple or two and shred it. I'd recommend a sweeter variety for this. Gala, fuji, pink lady, etc. Saute the shredded apples and raisins in butter (don't need to be shy on a high quality grass-fed butter either). Once the apples get a bit soft add the cinnamon. While sauteing the apples cook the oatmeal. Mix together when both are done.

I did my research online to educate myself and now I'm on the hunt for grass-fed butter. If I can't find any at Publix this afternoon, I'm going to visit Orlando's locale Farmers Market this Sunday. I had actually never heard of it or it's benifits until today!
  • AllieMarie2244
    AllieMarie2244 Posts: 106 Member
    Options

the thing is, when you crash diet to lose as much weight as possible as quickly as possible, like you're doing, you probably wont like the end result anyway, as you're burning muscle along with the fat. you're also decreasing the speed of your metablosim so it makes maintaining even harder and you still look squishy and wobbly instead of lean and toned when you do get to your goal weight.

did you even look at her diary? she's eating just fine and even throwing in "treats" like gummy bears
    you sound like the typical MFP person criticizing a 1200 calorie diet as if its the worlds biggest sin
  • TavistockToad
    Options

did you even look at her diary? she's eating just fine and even throwing in "treats" like gummy bears
    you sound like the typical MFP person criticizing a 1200 calorie diet as if its the worlds biggest sin

Yesterday the OP ate 900 cals and exercised off 600... But she ate some gummy bears so it's ok?! :huh:
  • AllieMarie2244
    AllieMarie2244 Posts: 106 Member
    Options

Yesterday the OP ate 900 cals and exercised off 600... But she ate some gummy bears so it's ok?! :huh:

not what i said at all....
    way to turn words around
  • TavistockToad
    Options

not what i said at all....
    way to turn words around

you asked if i looked in her diary... i stated facts from her diary... thats turning words around? oooohkay then....
  • Tanyastern
    Tanyastern Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Mix Protein Powder into your Oatmeal...it's really good! I used to do that when I ate Oatmeal (I don't any longer).