How have your weight loss goals changed?

Options
HIII, decided to come back to my old account I started a few years ago, and was wondering whether anyones goals have changed as they got closer to their target weight. I'm sure there are many other topics like this, was just wondering.
Back then, my goal was to get down to 115lbs, i'm now at 106, and still not totally happy, and really surprised that I would have been happy at that weight before. I don't want to become underweight, just be happy I guess.
Sometimes the scale doesn't always tell the truth, but still.. :)

Replies

• supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I originally set my weight at 59kg, now that I'm 2kg away from that goal I lowered it to 54kg. At the time I just wanted to be at the middle of my healthy BMI but seeing that I have a tendency to eat too much rather than too little I now want to be a slight bit below the middle.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Sure- I set my goal higher on the healthy weight range as I hadn't been that low in almost 20 years but as I got closer to that number I lowered it a bit.

However, OP, I think maybe what you need to consider is body recomposition. Losing a few pounds may still not give you the look you want. Are you exercising and if so does that include weight lifting? If not, I think it's something you should look into.

Check out this article for an example of what I'm talking about. You could be even 10 pounds heavier but have the look you want. The # on the scale isn't everything.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Sure my original goal was 165lbs..hit and decided another 10 wouldn't hurt..and I hit that...

I am good for now and will do maitenance for the summer and see what happens in September...I might decide another 10 down is in order.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    My original goal was 165 lb. As of late I've decide I love eating too much and have been in mostly a deficit for the past two years. I'm up to 185 from my initial weight loss low of 170, only went up one pant size and am getting stronger in the weight room and getting to eat moar.
  • jjanay100
    jjanay100 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just hit my original goal of 143. I can see now that I still have more to go. My new number is 138 but it is more about firming up and how I look rather than seeing a number on the scale. I think it can be hard to know what number is going to be right for you until you get there.
  • MDF247
    MDF247 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    At my heaviest, I thought if I would ever hit 190 again in my life I would be satisfied. A bit chunky, but satisfied. Once I dropped under 200 I realized that 190 was a goal that was basically admitting that I was weak-willed and willing to settle for "close enough". My goal now is 175. I feel like it will be next to impossible to get there, but I am going to not only get there, I'm going to hold it and re-evaluate at that point whether or not I need to go up or down based on how I feel physically. Btw,173 is on the very high side of "normal" BMI range for me.

I'm actually starting to think I would like to see what it's like to be 165 again. I haven't been there in almost 30 years. I've tended in the past to put on muscle easily, but I don't feel like at my age I really have a need or desire to carry a lot of muscle around. So, maybe I'll get as lean as I can for a bit and then bulk a little if I feel like a stick. We'll see.
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Me too, Have gone from 47lbs to lose, to 15lbs to go. Now I can see I probably will change my GW and lose another 15lbs after that, but am still looking forward to hitting my first goal first, just to say I've done it :)
  • epazia
    epazia Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I stopped looking at this as a journey with an end. Now it is a system for living my life and is going to be ever changing and an educational process
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i kinda wanted to drop down to about 200 pounds. i thought it would be better for me, as that what my BMI says i should weigh for my height. i think the lowest i got was 215, and i just couldn't. i was barely eating, and getting way too tired.

i'm going to drop down and keep my weight around 220 for multiple reasons, one being that is the weight to compete as a Clydesdale in US Triathlon races.
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Ooooh what a story my goals have been lol!

I started with a goal weight of 140 pounds. Then I got there and wasn't near happy so I lowered it to 135 lbs. Got there and maintained for a bit before realizing I still wasn't happy, so now I've lowered it again to 125 lbs.

I think if I am not happy by the time i reach 120 pounds I should probably stop anyway. I'd be getting a tad on the thin side lol
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    TBH, unless you're quite short, 106 likely is already underweight? If you're not happy with how you look, you might want to look into body recomposition via weight lifting...you won't get bulky, I promise!

Having said that, yes, my goals have changed a lot. At first, I just wanted to get not fat anymore. Now I have specific goals, like developing muscles, lifting weights so my boobs and butt will look better...and I dream of a flat tummy, but I'm not sure that will ever happen...it's a waiting game right now.
  • forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My original goal was 110. Now I'm 113, and my new goal is 100-105 (I'm very short).
  • charchar369
    Options
    I am only 5'2 haha with quite a small build
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options

Ok then, carry on!:flowerforyou:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

at 106 if you are not happy with your results at 5'2", I have to ask, have you been doing strength training? If not that would explain a lot, as if you did you probably would have been happy with the results at 115lbs.

I would now suggest heavy lifting while eating at maintenance.
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I've lowered my goal weight by 25lbs. I'll still look at it when I get to my original goal weight but looking at pics of people at my goal weight and judging where I might be I think I'll go for that extra 25.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7", and after my first baby, I got down to about 154 lbs. (I had to give up exercise during my last pregnancy, then BFing screwed up my weight loss, so I'm going full-force again.) At 154 I was wearing a US size 4/6. In some stores I was a 2 or even a 0, and I could always wear a size small or sometimes an XS. I was still squishy, though, so I can't imagine what my original goal of 135 would have looked like. I think I'd have just been a really tiny version of my squishy self. I've never weighed that little as an adult.

As such I'm focusing less on the scale this time. I'm adding more strength (I run and Spin because I legitimately enjoy it), and I've moved my goal weight to 140. I'm considering changing it to 150. (In fact, I might go do that now.). When I get closer to goal, or when my body gets back to that size I was, I think I will do a recomp. I don't know, I guess I don't have a set point where I will do that but will play it by ear, so to speak. I'm very interested I'm lifting heavy and looking awesome as a result.

Point being, I'm less interested in the number on the scale and more interested in how I feel/look/fit into clothes. If I have a rockin' body but weigh 150 (or more), that's way better IMO than being a squishy 135 or 140. I imagine I'd be healthier, too.

I've always looked like I weigh less than I do, so yeah...

Edited for typo
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I was aiming initially for "normal weight" and looked like **** at it because I hadn't build a lot of muscle mass. Right now I've been going Starting Strength and eating at a mild increase over TDEE and haven't hit a major plateau in ten weeks while adding muscle as fast as possible.

I am ---> <--- THIS close to breaking into novice category on all my major lifts. Not bad for an old guy who had open heart surgery 24 weeks ago.
  • WalkingTheWoods
    Options
    When I began MFP, my goal was simply to reach a specific weight. Now, I'm focused on being slimmer and more fit so that I can run my next half-marathon better.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!