Starting over... Again

Options
vonnegutnut
vonnegutnut Posts: 5 Member
Hi! I have never posted and don't have any friends despite being on here for months... I have lost about 19 pounds so far and have done really well for about two or three months but it hasn't been consistent. I feel myself sort of falling back into old and negative habits quite recently and have decided to make my first post! I need a bit of extra motivation! I'm looking to lose at least another 50 pounds over time and would love to meet people with similar goals.

I am also wondering if anyone else has the problem of sort of falling in and out of focus with their fitness goals? What do you do to overcome them?

Thank you! Add me and we can support each other :D

Replies

• joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me.... I don't really have too much weight to lose, but I need to make sure I'm not adding! I would like to lose 5-10 pounds, but my main goal is to just lead a fairly healthy lifestyle. I've been on MFP for over 900 days, and having friends (I have about 30) keeps me pretty motivated. I don't keep an open food diary though. I do struggle to keep way from my bad habits, but it's the struggle that makes us stronger, no?
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I have a problem of falling in and out of my fitness goals. Sometimes depression gets the best of me or I just slack off because I think my weight won't fluctuate, but it does. I don't have as much to lose as you do but I can be supportive!

Just remember to take things one day at a time and don't let one bad day become a bad week. It takes almost a month to build a habit so taking things one step at a time to conquer your goals is best.

Add me if you'd like! I will be as supportive as I can.
  • vonnegutnut
    vonnegutnut Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for the advice :) I will send add you!

OkamlLavande: I have a depression issue too- I am finding it to be the main source of my unhealthy eating practices. It helps to try to remain positive and I am hoping this summer will do me some good (as I'm sure it will everyone else)!

Also, yes! The struggle does make us stronger I am finding :D
  • newb01
    newb01 Posts: 22
    Options
    I am constantly struggling with my weight loss. It has been a life long struggle but I gave up... The last two years I have lost most of the weight I want but every day is a battle.

Good news I am making some headway... I bought ever non-fad diet book I could find...just the big ones. Zone, Adkins, South Beach, etc.

I have read and read and 90% of the stuff out there contradicts each other, but I am starting to zero in on what works for me. Some of it is just plan wrong... Some of it applies to some people.

Through allot of trial and error I have started to find some trigger points for me and found what keeps me full. I am not there yet but I am getting closer.

Volumemetrics got most of the weight off for me...but maintenance mode it didn't work for me. I have 17 pounds left to go... This is day 6 of my diet..(life style change).
  • zeityp27
    zeityp27 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It's so hard to stay on track isn't it.... I hoping just to get back into logging each day and walking which also makes me want to make better food choices. Need to be consistent.
    Fell free to add me :)
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest thing for me was to stop thinking of this as a diet and think of it as more of a life plan. Some days I am very focused and record each thing I eat as I eat it and am certain to get my exercise in. Other days I am struggling to remember what I ate for breakfast to record it and its already after diner. The one big thing that I stopped doing is thinking - "Oh I've blown my diet, I might as well eat anything I want" That used to be a killer - suddenly it was two weeks later and I had overeaten and not exercised.

Everyday is an opportunity to start anew.
  • stizacyr
    stizacyr Posts: 1
    Options
    I am getting back on the wagon today. I was doing really well, then got sick, then had a pulled muscle, then got sick again...I am serious about being back! I have got 30lbs to lose!! I know I can do it! So can you! Good luck!
  • Mommy4812
    Mommy4812 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Hey, I started on here in November 2012 at 217lbs. and was down to 181lbs. by April last year then I hit a plateau. I tried many different things to break it but I couldn't so it caused me to give up a year ago. I've had a really had time with trying to get myself back into it but I have gained 20lbs. back! I need to lose like 80lbs. but I need help with motivation and support. Please feel free to add me so we can be that for each other! :smile:
  • fay_pigu
    fay_pigu Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I lost focus about 6 months after doing really well and stopped, annoyingly it just broke a plateau of 6 weeks. I came back last week and had gained all but 8lbs over the 18 months.

For me looking at when I logged and stopped, it showed a pattern linked to when work became hectic, so I suspect my attention was diverted and I got out of the habit. For me I hope that awareness is enough to keep my focus this time.

Edit: I'm also hoping to gain a few good habits like running.

Good luck
  • missyjg99
    missyjg99 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Day one take 12 for me yesterday. I did really well in 2012 and I got pregnant again and gained 60lbs. So, I tried several times but the post partum depression hit me hard this time and it wasn't good. Now I'm in a much better place and I'm determined to do this. Feel free to add me.
  • jaxass
    jaxass Posts: 2,128 Member
    Options
    I just started back again myself. You're doing quite well and I hope you keep after it.

Keep the faith and good luck!
  • smoothandfast
    smoothandfast Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me :)

I am starting over today as well. Last year I lost about 15 pounds and kept them off with a commitment to daily exercise and eating healthy. I put about 5 lbs over the holiday's and whilst I exercised hard - I fell back into poor eating habits and failed to lose it. I also was hit with some sad news and the 5 lbs has now become 15 lbs. That may not seem like much weight to lose - but I have a small frame and it is all in my waist, hips and butt and looks horrible.

As for falling in and out - I guess everyone has been there and done that. The key to successful weight loss is consistency- so we pick ourselves up and start over. I keep saying "I am not a quitter. I am a fighter. I can make good choices for today" and I know I will get these pounds off and keep them off for good. So can you! The fact you are posting here is great news! We all need support sometimes!! Good luck!
  • mwhite61451
    mwhite61451 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I can relate to everything you said on your post. I have been on MFP since the end of November. Did really well until the end of Feb, but have regressed. Thanks for getting me reengaged.
  • Mandi_Nichole
    Options
    Hey,
    I am starting this all over again. I have tried everything. I decided it is time to make the change and just do it! I am hoping to finally get in that groove and not lose the focus I need! I sent you a friend request!
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I joined in March. I'm not starting over but I feel stressed recently. I think it's about how slow things are going and even though I know my body is changing, I can't see it yet.

Feel free to add me, I am on here and I log everyday!
  • PumpkinTwerker
    Options
    Oh man. I have SO struggled with this. I actually just wrote my first blog post and it talks about that a lot. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/PumpkinTwerker/view/that-little-voice-663152

So much of it is self-sabotage, and me just not believing that I could do it. I want to change that mindset so much, it's just tough when you're used to see yourself as a failure who is destined to be fat. :(

I'm getting back up on that damned horse, and this time I'm not going to let myself fall off.
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Oh man. I have SO struggled with this. I actually just wrote my first blog post and it talks about that a lot. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/PumpkinTwerker/view/that-little-voice-663152

So much of it is self-sabotage, and me just not believing that I could do it. I want to change that mindset so much, it's just tough when you're used to see yourself as a failure who is destined to be fat. :(

I'm getting back up on that damned horse, and this time I'm not going to let myself fall off.

Self-sabotage happens to a lot of people. Don't let it get you down! When you make progress you never thought you could do you begin to think you don't deserve the progress because you've been a certain way for so long but that just isn't true. You can be who ever you want and don't let yourself get in the way.
  • gimmegimmemoar
    gimmegimmemoar Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hey there :) I am too really trying to get back into achieving my fitness goals with 100% commitment.... I lost about 50 lbs last year and ideally want to lose about 50 more. I have been so busy with finishing college that I literally had no time to go to the gym, which actually made me depressed because believe it or not, I love to go to the gym every single day.

So i am right in the same boat with ya sister! Feel free to add me and we can support each other! And that goes for anyone else as well!
  • mwhite61451
    mwhite61451 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    So far so good...down 4 lbs in a week. This really does work, and it does not take that much effort.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with getting back on this horse... I see it like trying to shop for an outfit for a special occasion... you have so many choices, some good some not so much. BUT eventually you find something that you really think makes you look hot/cool/ sexy/ whatever look you are going for... THEN... an donly then will you begin to succeed... SO... be patient, be kind, and be forgiving of yourself until you find what works for you... one day at a time... weigh ti and log it and don't pay attention so much to the weight.. pay attention to the effort... SO long as you do something each day to help yourself.. YOU are going to succeed.

Best of luck