Setting a goal based on weight categories

Options
I am totally confused. I am 5'9" and I am currently obese by any measure. I am trying to set a goal and my Dr just told me that 203 lbs is the weight that I should be. Prior to this visit he was saying I should be 150 lbs. The NIH BMI chart says for my height 128-162 is "Healthy", 169-203 is overweight and 200+ is obese. I am also not an athlete by any stretch of the imagination . Can someone help explain this change in thinking? Basically he is saying that anything under obese is "ok"?

Replies

• Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    All I can think of is that is a first goal. If you hit it you can re-evaluate and bring your weight down some more.

Any weight loss will make you healthier than where you started..........
  • getting_in_shape777
    Options
    The same Doctor told my wife, who is 5'2" and 160lbs that she did not have to loose any more weight? Again this is the line between overweight and obese for her height. We are both in our mid 30's.
  • CitizenXVIII
    CitizenXVIII Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You aren't obese by any measure, just the inaccurate ones. BMI is horrible, and should never be consulted. I would look at your measurements and body fat %. If your waistline is in a good place, you are probably about where you should be.

I have a thing against BMI because if I were at 10% body fat, I would still be in the 'overweight' category. Rubbish calculation.
  • tmyers541
    tmyers541 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    BMI isn't the best way to judge someones weight by. Go with body fat percentage. Or go with what makes you both comfortable in your own skin. Start with small goals and decide when you want to stop.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    BMI does not take into account lean body mass. That would mean that short pro athletes are overweight by BMI but might be underweight to body fat %. I used body fat % as a guide to my weight goal.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I think that like most industries the medical industries changes its focus periodically! Some doctors go strictly by the charts and numbers and some are living in the real world and able to connect with their patient to the point where they can make observations and suggestions that fit the specific patient.

With that said, I had one doctor that was just looking at things based on charts and whatever . . . and we had some real issues because of my weight, I felt that he did not want to treat me for anything because everything was based on my weight - after a heart to heart discussion that concluded that people who weigh within the BMI charts still get ill and die!

My new doctor is a semi-homeopathic doctor and after a discussion with her regarding my health issues (those that I had at the time) we conclude that based on my age, ethnicity and body type she would like to see me at 175 and I am 5'2" and 45 years old.

I would suggest that you focus on getting to 203 and re-evaluate things when you are there or close to that. That is what I did and now I am trying to get to my goal of 144 (started at 244) - mostly vanity, but also the fact that I really like being active.

And, I will still be overweight at 144 based on my BMI :smile:
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    I'm in the minority it seems, but I think the BMI chart is a good general guideline for most average people. Obviously athletes, especially strength athletes wouldn't be "average" body types, so they are outliers.

I think it's a good idea to set some small goals along the way to your final goal weight though. I used the BMI charts do that for me. For example, my first goal was to not be obese anymore, then the second was no longer overweight, now the final is my final goal weight. It's nice to celebrate those milestones.
  • brando79az
    brando79az Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    BMI does not take into account lean body mass. That would mean that short pro athletes are overweight by BMI but might be underweight to body fat %. I used body fat % as a guide to my weight goal.

+1

My doc assured me that BMI is inaccurate. It doesn't consider if you are an extomorph or an endomorph, for example. When you look good naked you are probably at a healthy weight :)
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I'm in the minority it seems, but I think the BMI chart is a good general guideline for most average people. Obviously athletes, especially strength athletes wouldn't be "average" body types, so they are outliers.

I think it's a good idea to set some small goals along the way to your final goal weight though. I used the BMI charts do that for me. For example, my first goal was to not be obese anymore, then the second was no longer overweight, now the final is my final goal weight. It's nice to celebrate those milestones.
    I agree, for years I didn't want to believe it (being obese was just something I didn't want to accept). But be honest with yourself, do you really think that you don't fit into the average population?

To the OP, it could just be the Dr. didn't want to set up too big and daunting of a goal for you, and that getting to that point would be a great first step.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I agree. I'd also assume the doctor or the OP would know if he or his wife fell in the unusual due to significant muscle mass sort of category. Most people worried about being overweight probably don't.

My guess is that it's either trying to set achievable goals (a lot of people say start just losing 10%, for example) or the fact that the actual medical risks associated with being merely overweight are questioned by many.

Obviously, however, you can decide that you feel (or even look) better at a lower weight if you like. Sometimes doctors seem to underestimate what people can do (although I lack the information to say what's going on here).
  • getting_in_shape777
    Options
    Let me restate the question in hopefully a better way. My wife and I went to a health screen at work. The screening nurse was telling everyone across the board that a BMI of less then 30 was good and nobody should try to be much below a BMI of 30 if you are greater than 20 yrs old. That would mean for me at 5'9" 203lb would be good and for her at 5'2" 160lb. We are both in our mid-30's. I am trying to make sense of this info, since the last time I was at the Dr, the Dr said I should be at 160 based on BMI. I have not been to the Dr for a few yrs. I know that should change.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Body Mass Index needs to be thrown away like they threw away the food pyramid. Not a good way to tell if someone is healthy or not.