Is getting a trainer smart or a quick fix?

Options
Domineer
Domineer Posts: 239 Member
The reason I ask this questions is because some people can lose the weight and educate themselves but shovel out tons of cash to get fit. Sometimes, they stop the training sessions and start to gain the weight back. I think having a trainer is a quick fix for a lot of people, not a solution to absorbing knowledge on how their body works and functions to improve their health independently. I lost 88lbs in the past three years on my own, no trainer or training buddy. I am glad I didn't choose one because it is easy to make excuses to not work out when your buddy or trainer can't show up that day or week.

You must take your health into your own hands, if possible, depending on your situation. What do you guys think, smart or quick fix?

Replies

• manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Pretty much every elite athlete has a coach. Are they using a quick fix?
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    It's not either one of those things. A personal trainer isn't a "quick fix" any more than MFP is one. It's a tool (assuming the trainer is competent). The person still needs to do the actual work.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    It's a trainer ... TRAINer ... the purpose should be to train (teach) the client how to effectively exercise to reach goals. So, if you've never lifted before and want to learn to lift - get a trainer. Athletes have coaches/trainers to help them learn more & become better at their sport. If you can't learn enough from your trainer to move into exercising on your own (at least mostly - there's always something more to learn, but you don't need a trainer for every session) either you're not taking enough responsibility for yourself or there's something wrong with your trainer.

Of course, working with a trainer even once a week can give people a sense of accountability, encouraging better adherence to eating plan and exercise, and when one quits working with a trainer one may lose that accountability and not work as diligently (hence slowing in progress or even regaining).

My opinion: getting a trainer is a good idea, especially if you are learning something new or striving to improve your "game." It's not necessary, especially long term, but it's can be a valuable too.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    The reason I ask this questions is because some people can lose the weight and educate themselves but shovel out tons of cash to get fit. Sometimes, they stop the training sessions and start to gain the weight back. I think having a trainer is a quick fix for a lot of people, not a solution to absorbing knowledge on how their body works and functions to improve their health independently. I lost 88lbs in the past three years on my own, no trainer or training buddy. I am glad I didn't choose one because it is easy to make excuses to not work out when your buddy or trainer can't show up that day or week.

You must take your health into your own hands, if possible, depending on your situation. What do you guys think, smart or quick fix?

It really depends on your goals. Some are happy with just losing weight while others want a body that is fit, athletic, muscular, low body fat, etc.

If you find a good trainer he/she can help you sculpt the body you want the proper way.
  • Domineer
    Domineer Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I agree with you Mathjulz. Trainers are necessary but people who are lazy use them as a quick fix. You can hire a trainer to get you into the best shape of your life but what is the point if you are not trying to use that knowledge to keep yourself in good condition independently? That is the point I'm making. Elite athletes need trainers, that is obvious, but elite athletes are also being paid to stay in shape so they have little room for error. They are also not lazy, for the most part.
  • Mom_of_X
    Mom_of_X Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I agree with you Mathjulz. Trainers are necessary but people who are lazy use them as a quick fix. You can hire a trainer to get you into the best shape of your life but what is the point if you are not trying to use that knowledge to keep yourself in good condition independently? That is the point I'm making. Elite athletes need trainers, that is obvious, but elite athletes are also being paid to stay in shape so they have little room for error. They are also not lazy, for the most part.

a few cents i'll add to this thread:

lazy people don't hire trainers. lazy people don't spend hours at the gym. in my opinion, those words don't go together.

i will also argue that if you hire a trainer specifically with the goal of getting you into the best shape of your life, it will be neither "quick" nor a "fix," as that kind of commitment is a lifestyle change. and not many people put themselves through that kind of transformation without something to hold on to at the end - like the motivation to stay looking amazing.

and, as an aside, if you are referencing the middle group of people, the ones that might pay for 5-10 sessions with a trainer with the hopes of dropping weight quickly, or learning some unpublished way to get the results they want, they will only get out of it what they put into it. the same can be said for those who go it alone, whether they find success or failure.

*kudos to your on your journey and your discipline. way to keep your eye on the prize!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    It's not either one of those things. A personal trainer isn't a "quick fix" any more than MFP is one. It's a tool (assuming the trainer is competent). The person still needs to do the actual work.

I agree with this. You're still going to have to do the work, it just depends on the type of person you are and how you like to get motivated. I lost about 20-25 lbs before hiring a personal trainer, who I kept for about a year. Did I absolutely need her? No, I was doing fine on my own and within about 5 lbs of my goal weight. Was she helpful? Yes, absolutely. It gave me more confidence in the weight room and I learned how to make new workout routines on my own based on what she and I did during our sessions. I will say it was a bit easier to just show up once a week and do what someone told me to do, but in the end, I know I could have done it myself.

As others have said, it's a tool you can use to better yourself and get you to a goal, but in the end, it will be your discipline and determination that gets you to the place you want to be.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

IN for deciding how people should spend their own money and for deciding which people "deserve" to be able to spend their time and money as they see fit!

You're making too many lazy assumptions and using too much lazy analysis to walk around pointing the judgemental finger at people you don't know
  • running4thehigh
    running4thehigh Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If I had that kind of money, I'd definitely get one in the blink of an eye.

Because, how cool would it be to say, you have your own personal trainer?

DANG I WISH I WAS A PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE. Or dating one. ;D
  • momiji166
    momiji166 Posts: 32
    Options
    I see a Personal Trainer 3 times per week, and it is the best money I have ever spent, I have been seeing her for 8 weeks and have made dramatic inch loss differences.

I was 260lbs and whilst I haven't lost a lot of weight in that time I have lost inches. I have never used exercise as a weight loss tool before and have only relied on faddy diets to help me to try (and fail) to lose weight.

I intend to utilise my trainer for the forseeable future.

To anyone who has never used a PT I'd say DO IT you will work out in such a way that you never would believe possible, BUT only do it if you intend to put 110% effort in. You do the work, not the trainer.

Good luck folks.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Some people assume that hiring a personal trainer is all they need to get thin. Just like some people assume joining Weight Watchers or taking diet pills etc will make them thin. Just because you step on the treadmill it doesn't mean you'll lose weight. Hell, you could even get weight loss surgery and not lose weight. If you don't put the effort it, you won't get results. Simple as that.

One of my best friends is a PT and when she offered to help me years ago, I thought she'd be like one of those celebrity trainers you hear about who always checks up on you and pushes you so you stay motivated. When that didn't happen, I blamed her for my lack of weight loss. Of course I figured out quickly that the blame was all on me.

If you want to get a certain physique but have no idea where to start, hiring a good PT can be very benficial. They'll help you to set up a training program based on your goals and guide you through the moves to make sure your form is correct, amount of weight lifted is appropriate for you, etc.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You are drastically over simplifying this into an either or. Congrats on your weight loss doing things your way, but you seem to be trying to degrade those that employ the use of a PT. Some people want to get healthy & in shape but don't have the time or interest in doing all the research themselves. So they go to a trainer. Its not cheating, its not a quick fix. Some may view it as a very smart and efficient approach.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    Having a trainer is NOT a quick fix! It is having a teacher who is showing you the correct way to do things. When you are just learning to lift you need someone to watch your form and make the corrections so you are working the correct muscles and not risking an injury. I am not saying you can't do it alone but I see way too many people lifting incorrectly in the gym (men and women) who could use guidance on correct form. It also is helpful for anyone who is intimidated going in to lift weights for the first time or who would never attempt it otherwise - myself included. I have lost weight while working with a trainer but I was accountable to myself. He motivates me definitely, but most importantly he has taught me so many different things from strength training and plyometrics to the correct stretches (for running and strength training) and given me the confidence that I can lift on my own. He has made some suggestions (maybe it is time to up your cardio...) but what I decided to do with that was all me.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    For me getting a trainer was not a quick fix. I was joining a new gym and was pretty clueless about what I was doing, so I was looking for guidance. I wanted a few sessions to learn the layout, get some workout ideas and learn etiquette in the gym. 2.5 years later I'm still working with her :smile:

I don't think a trainer is a quick fix, because the individual still has to do the work. My trainer can tell me what to do & give tips all she wants, but unless I am willing to follow through, it's not going to help me.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    If a trainer was a quick fix, I would have hit my goal LONG ago. And, I certainly can't afford to see my trainer 5 times a week so certainly not counting on her as motivation to workout. I go to her once a week to work on things that I know less about, need help with, or don't particularly like to do (as she'll make me do it). I workout about 5 other times during the week all on my own.
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how a trainer can be considered a "quick fix"! This isn't like a crash diet - it's having someone help you know how to work out! It's having someone to help you set goals and hold you accountable. I have loved having a personal trainer work with me at my gym weekly since I got serious about losing weight. As an over-50 female it's still a slow process, but seeing the trainer and following through with those workouts (I exercise a minimum of one hour every day) has helped me drastically increase my fitness level and strength. I don't think I could have progressed as much in those areas on my own. And there's nothing "quick" about taking 22 months to lose less than 90 pounds, but this way the weight I'm losing is off for good.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    You must take your health into your own hands, if possible, depending on your situation.

That basically sums up everything. Trainer or not, you only get out what you put in.
  • thickerella
    thickerella Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I got a personal trainer 6 months ago. There is NOTHING about it that is a "quick" fix. He teaches me exercises I would have never tried on my own. He pushes me harder than I would push myself. He spots me so I can push MYSELF harder than I could otherwise. Having a trainer helps me a lot and I plan on keeping him around for at least another 6 months. As you can tell from my ticker, it most definitely wasn't a magic bullet of weight-loss....but I'm so much stronger than I was 6 months ago.

Definitely worth it.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    As a Personal Trainer I'll tell your that I'm not the quick fix. There are no "quick fixes". Having sessions 1-2x a week with a trainer won't do much if your calories aren't in check and you're not working out on your own. Clients that are successful have the drive to get results and are consistent with their diets and workout regime. Trainers give you the tools, push you, and hopefully motivate you. It's up to the client how they choice to use that.
  • joesimtre
    joesimtre Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have one that fortunately I don't have to pay for. Of course that means working on her time but I'm willing to do that. We all reach points that go beyond our knowledge of self and the body. Having someone introduce you to new methods to break through a plateau and even reach parts of the body that you wouldn't be able to get to otherwise.

If you can get one to help you train. Go for it.