Calling All Atkins Users!

Options
Amberlynnek
Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
I am not a low carb person, nor have I ever become familiar with the low carb diet. That being said, I am having a friend over for brunch who is trying to lose weight and told me she is on the Atkins diet. While my breakfasts are usually full of carby fun, I want to respect her decision and provide a tasty brunch within her means. Please provide your favorite tested and delicious Atkins friendly brunch recipes!

Replies

• rainbowunicorns720
    rainbowunicorns720 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    That's the easiest one! Eggs, bacon, sausage, oh my! lol...no but seriously...the possibilities are endless! I could give you a bunch of recipes that are low carb versions of favorite carby breakfast foods but they include ingredients a non low carber wouldn't have and it's not something you can buy in a one recipe amount. So i'd make omelettes or steak and eggs. Two of my fav low carb breakfasts.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Please pass on your low carb friendly versions! I don't eat meat and eggs are so boring. Want something fun for her!
  • shanniem1
    shanniem1 Posts: 35
    Options
    Look up "Pork Rind Waffles" or French Toast
    My daily breakfast is Eggs/Italian Sausage/Spinach & Cheese scramble with salsa and sour cream and COFFEEEEE :)
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Low carbers eat lots of meats, cheeses, green veggies so you may have some difficulties if you are not wanting to do eggs! My suggestion, do an egg cassarole that has mushrooms, onions, peppers and have a side of bacon and sausage.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Potato chip tortilla espanola
  • ToshaMonique
    Options
    Veggie Omletes, bacon, eggs, sausage.....and depending on her phase of the diet, berries
  • Swuddly
    Swuddly Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Low Carb Crepes:
    8 eggs
    1 8oz block of cream cheese
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    pinch of salt
    2 tsp cinnamon
    dash of nutmeg
    (you can add splenda/other fake sweetener, if you like, but I never bother)
    Blend everything together, so it makes a very thin batter, then cook like regular crepes.

Melt some butter in a non-stick pan. Pour a scant 1/4 cup of batter into the pan, and swirl it about, so it coats evenly. Let it cook for a bit, when it looks mostly firm, flip it over to brown the other side.

You can fill them with just about anything, sweet or savory.

Here are some of my (and my hubby's) favorite combos:

1) Goat cheese (the soft kind, not haloumi) or Boursin
    Bacon
    Baby spinach
    2) Swiss cheese
    Sautéed mushrooms
    Pesto
    3) Mozarella (fresh)
    Tomatoes
    Fresh basil
    4) Swiss cheese
    Ham
    5) Cream cheese (softened)
    Berries (sliced strawberries, or whole blueberries/raspberries)

Serve with a spring mix salad (no croutons) with a simple sugar-free vinaigrette (olive oil, vinegar, garlic powder, salt, pepper) .

It's fancy, easy, and low carb. :)

Have fun with your friend. No matter what you pick, I'm sure she'll appreciate the effort.
  • Time2bFit12
    Time2bFit12 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Low Carb Pancakes:

1 block cream cheese
    4 eggs
    2 tbsp vanilla extract
    Cinnamon to taste

Mix in Nutribullet or blended, pour into skillet and cook like you would pancakes. These are fantastic!!!!
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    This looks great!
  • cubouldergirl
    Options
    Bump!
  • fitmek
    fitmek Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that you are supporting your friend!

Every morning during the weekend, I make myself this scramble:

2 servings egg beaters (60 cals)

1 pulled apart, cut up weight watchers string cheese stick

1/4 chopped fresh spinach

2 tablespoons salsa of any type.

Scramble together.

It's amazing!
    You can put turkey bacon in it as well, or laughing cow cheese and diced bell peppers. :)
  • kwaz29
    kwaz29 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Look up "Pork Rind Waffles" or French Toast

What the what?! pork rind waffles sounds LIFECHANGING. must try!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Potato chip tortilla espanola

Not this~! Those are very high-carb and wouldn't be helpful.

The only things I would add is to make sure she has something to drink. The normal breakfast drinks of Milk, Chocolate Milk, OJ, Apple Juice (all juice) are loaded with carbs.

I would recommend to make some breakfast tea and coffee with Heavy Whipping Cream (no carbs!) and make sure to have some of her favorite sweetner on hand. I carry my stevia with me, but many prefer splenda, sweet & low, monk fruit, or none!

Maybe even have a bottle of diet soda or one of the zero calorie drinks on hand for something to grab and go.

Good luck!