Dieting while sick?

Options
Hi! I've come down with a bad case of strep throat and possibly a cold on top of it, and I had some questions about what I should eat. Should I set my calories to maintenance while I'm ill? I don't want to prolong my illness any, and I wasn't sure if dieting would do that. I want my body to be able to fight off the illness with it's full power. I'm currently at a reasonable deficit (just 1 lb a week). This is the first time I've been ill since I started my journey back in July, which for me is crazy impressive! I'm sure finally eating healthy had something to do with that.... :ohwell:

Replies

• Debbie313
    Options
    i am sick too. i'm just at the beginning of my weight loss journey, but i've been sticking to my diet all this week while sick. Haven't felt up to exercising since Tuesday, but it doesn't appear that its affecting my weight loss. Im eating exactly the way i would if I was healthy and dieting except I'm trying to use all my proteins every day and im throwing in some things with extra vitamin C like clementines or kiwis. Also, I saw on the Today show this week that with a cold, the best thing you can do is hydrate and just try and flush it out. So lots and lots of water. They also recommended a little exercise...light exercise...if you feel up to it. I might try today. Feel better!
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I don't know for certain bit I think if you eat good foods you should be fine with your current calorie goal. I think healthy food verses junk will be good for you. ( i tend to eat crap when I'm, sick..comfort food) Maybe add orange joice and whole fruits for high vitimine C. I hope you feel better soon.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    As long as you are eating a healthy/balanced diet, and not doing anything extreme, I wouldn't worry about it. But take it easy w/any exercise. I was sick earlier this week, and my hubby gave me a hard time about going for a quick run last night when I came back sounding like I was hacking up a lung! It felt good though!!
  • NurseNatalie2011
    Options
    If you have a fever, your metabloism will be higher, therefor needing to increase your calories. Also, the bosy uses protien to heal. Try adding a little more protien to your diet possibly. Also, make sure you are drinking enough fluids because you can become easily dehydrated when ill.
  • Caffeinewitch
    Caffeinewitch Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I try to stay within my calories for the day, drink extra water, and after at least a full day of rest I go for a light workout. Usually that flush of adrenaline plus the extra water intake just flushes the last of the junk out of my system.
  • wocm15
    wocm15 Posts: 81
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys! I hope this goes away soon!