How would you go about reaching my goals?

Options
Hi,

So a quick background on me... I used to be 240lbs. I got down to 150 using mfp and exercise such as cardio, kickboxing and towards the end I added in heavy lifting which I loved. That was last January. Since then I've moved to a new area where I can't find a kickboxing club that is right for me, but I have joined the gym. I have also gone up to 190 due to having had a baby 5 weeks ago and not been able to do much exercise during the pregnancy. I wont lie, I ate loads too.

Skip to now, and I am 40lbs over where I want to be. I'm no where near as fit as I used to be, but still have some level of fitness. I have a very flabby belly (none of my pre-pregnancy jeans will do up anymore, but they still go over my legs ok, so I feel like my stomach is out of proportion) and a general layer of wobble. I want to be back where I was a year ago, when I felt strong and fit.

Do I immediately start with lifting again? Or should I concentrate on cardio for a month or so first to build up my fitness and lose some fat first? I've worked out my calories with Scooby's calculator, for 3-5 hours moderate exercise it gives me a TDEE of 2521 and a 20% reduction of 2017 which both sound perfectly reasonable to me. (For activity level I went based on 3-4 hour long gym visits per week plus I have 2 kids to look after. In 3 weeks I will be going back to work full time which is a fairly active job) Would it be a good idea to cut straight away, or stick at TDEE for a little while?

So many questions!!

Thanks.

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i think that you have been through a lot, and that you need to ease back into things. yes, run and lift and do all the exercises you enjoy. stick to tdee for a while, especially if you're breastfeeding. you'll be working and exercising and chasing after two kids. no need to wear yourself out in the first few weeks.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    This is definitely one of those "ask your ob/gyn" questions. As a very generalized rule I think it's eight weeks postpartum for exercise.

That said, eating less always works, again subject to ob/gyn recommendation. If I remember right the requirements for lactating moms is enough different from normal that there's changes required in micronutrient intakes.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Since it's only been five weeks, I agree that you should first consult with your ob/gyn.
  • catbrand
    catbrand Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Ok I should have mentioned that I have spoken to my GP and HV and both are happy for me to start exercising again so long as Im comfortable. I had a very easy birth and have healed really well. It's usually 6 weeks here, but as I say my GP has no problems with me exercising. I'm also only breastfeeding a couple of times a day until I return to work, then I'll be giving up.