Favorite food alternatives?

Options
msthang444
msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
So thought this might be a good place to get help with healthier alternatives. What are some things you really enjoy eating and want to find a healthier alternative for?

My big 3 are:

Pizza
Pepsi
gummi worms

Replies

• B32Roden
    B32Roden Posts: 11
    Options
    An alternative to pizza would be to just switch out the most unhealthy components. Use wholewheat or gluten free base or even make the base from cauliflower or zucchini (recipes on Pinterest).

Instead of ham or salami, use chicken and lots of vegetables. Reduce the amount of cheese or switch to feta.

No need to give up the things you enjoy!

Soda and candy, best to just get rid of those all together. Diet versions are full of just as many bad things as the regular version.

If you're craving a fizzy drink, have sparkling water with some lemon and lime juice.

If you need a sugar fix, try a fruit smoothie, dark chocolate, protein balls (peanut butter, oats etc) or make your own granola bars at home using dried fruits, oats and honey.
  • lilli5150
    lilli5150 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Pepsi is a hard one to break. Many folks can only break away from Pepsi by drinking diet. I HATE diet soda. Plus the fake sugars mess with my stomach, so that kind of makes any diet drinks a no go. It was a very hard switch, but I went to tea (plain, unsweetened), or flavored seltzer water. There are a ton a brands out there, and if you like the flavor of seltzer water, and like the bubbles, it's perfect.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Alternatives for
    Pizza - matza pizza. Matza (110 cals) topped with homemade pizza sauce and shredded cheese. Bake until cheese melts.
    Pepsi - fresh squeezed lemon juice (1/2 lemon) mixed with bubbly water.
    Gummi worms - maybe homemade jello using real juice. Frozen cherries?

I would like to find a healthier alternative to Doritos.
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    For doritos (not the same, but still salty) they have almond chips (nut thins). 16 for 130 calories. I really like 'em. I used to eat 'em with my mozzarella stick as a snack.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    pizza - english muffin pizzas
    vegan ice cream - banana nice cream
    candy - ...candy no replacement mmm
    chocolate bars - chocolate covered dates
    chips - kale chips
  • smamward
    smamward Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I totally agree about the sparkling water. I'm a major beer drinker, and I cut back on a lot of beer drinking by having a club soda with a slice of lemon instead. Very refreshing!
  • steffi29986
    steffi29986 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love cous cows but it really doesn't agree with me, I recently found a recipe for Cauliflower "couscous" and its so good, after you add your herbs and spices you can hardly tell (i hate cauliflower with a passion) I've also used blitzed cauliflower as a rice substitute too.
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Pizza = pita pizza cooked on the bbq !!! so crispy yummy good ! [wipes drool off of chin]
  • pistachiopeas
    pistachiopeas Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Make homemade thin crust pizza. Top it with veggies and cheese. I use the dough recipe from the link below. I make it in a rectangular pan and cut it into 12 pieces. The dough, plus 137 grams of part-skim shredded mozzarella and 3/4 cup tomato puree (get cans of just tomato, nothing else added) = 113 calories per slice. I usually have 3-4 slices plus a big salad. If you added veggies to this pizza the calories would still be low. It is very cheesy and very satisfying!

Pizza Dough (adapted from Jim Lahey)

500 grams bread flour (3 3/4 cups)
    2 1/2 teaspoons instant or active dry yeast (10 grams)
    3/4 teaspoons table salt (5 grams)
    3/4 teaspoon sugar, plus a pinch (about 3 grams)
    1 1/3 – 1 1/2 cups room temperature water
    extra-virgin olive oil for pans

In a medium bowl, stir together the bread flour, yeast, salt and sugar. Add the water and, using a wooden spoon or your hand, mix until blended, at least 30 seconds. The dough should be able to contain all of the flour, if it seems dry or if there is excess flour at the bottom of the bowl, add water a tablespoon at a time.

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature until the dough has doubled in volume, about 2 hours.

Oil two 13×18-inch rimmed baking sheets. (I used about 1 tsp of oil per sheet) Use a bowl scraper or a rubber spatula to scrape half of the dough onto one of the well oiled pans in one piece. Gently pull and stretch the dough across the surface of the pan, using your hands to press it evenly out to the edges. If the dough sticks to your fingers you can lightly oil your hands. Pinch any holes together. Repeat with the second piece using the other pan (or freeze the other piece for another pizza night - that's what I do).