When does this get easier?

Options
13»

Replies

• CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to take it slow. We all want results now, but a big transformation takes time. Small, gradual changes are more likely to stick. Small, gradual changes are less likely to lead us into temptation and binges.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Thanks scottiejm, and yes that's all true I do feel better and also clothes are abit looser, I'm only 3 weeks into it so I will be avoiding the scale from now on.

Any advice of type of strength training I should be doing please?

yep stay basic! super low reps, super low weight.. get those joints used to the motions and worry about only ONE thing.

Posture.

the last thing you want is getting into a new lifestyle change and then hurting yourself, and picking up an injury..!

actually worry about two things.

also SMILE obnoxiously :bigsmile: it helps big time.
  • stevee290
    stevee290 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow if not maybe the next day.
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    For me, it got easier in increments. The firs two weeks sucked because I wasn't even sure it was working, but once I saw the numbers on the scale start to tick back, I was like, okay, I can put more effort into this. Then when I found a free zumba class, everything got LOTS better very suddenly. Larger deficit, something I enjoy, a nice, predictable routine - all stuff that helped the transition. Make it easy on yourself and find stuff you like doing, eat stuff you like eating :] It'll smooth out soon.
  • Dandesjarlais
    Options
    It becomes easier when you commit to it. You just have to remember your motivation! Whether you are doing this for yourself, your family, or whatever other cause you may have. JUST KEEP THAT IN MIND! I have faith in your ability to stick to it. You just have to find that faith in yourself as well. As a NAVY sailor i'm doing this for my country. I'm a reflection of every American when i'm on deployment. That's what keeps me going. Just find the motivation that means the most to you!
  • WaynesGurl
    WaynesGurl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I think of it as a new way of life....a new way of eating....because a diet is something I wont stick to forever. A way of life is well....the way we do things now. I still have my moments where I am not perfect. I ate ice cream this weekend....and PF Changs...but I am ok to let that be an occasional treat....rather than the norm. Stick with it! Sharon
  • stananvik
    stananvik Posts: 23
    Options
    I hate to say this,(forgive me this might sound rude) but it almost sounds like you aren't mentally prepared to lose weight. I understand. I was unwilling to do what it takes for literally the last decade myself. I made every excuse in the book...too tired, don't wanna give up my favorite foods, I'm not really unhappy with my weight, etc, etc.

For me, what made the difference was an upcoming trip to see my brother. He's the one person in life I refuse to disappoint. Since the last time I saw him (last summer) I haven't done anything to improve my health. And I've booked tickets to see him this July. I couldn't face him knowing I had disappointed him. I want him to be proud of me. And, combine this with being sick of being so overweight that I had trouble getting up, or my feet would hurt, or I couldn't fit into clothes I've purchased, I'd had enough.

But I also knew the struggle that lays ahead. Losing 150 lbs is no joke. I knew already what my downfalls would be. I needed discipline to stay on track with calorie consumption. MFP provides that. I needed discipline to purchase and prepare only those foods I could afford to eat calorie wise. I have family that is all in with me. I knew I would need proper snack foods to eat when I got hungry. I got them. I knew finding daily exercise that I would stick with would be difficult. I'm still working on finding something there I will stick with and not be bored by. Meanwhile, I'm doing any and everything physical I can...gardening, walking further in the parking lot, taking stairs instead of escalator, etc.

In short, I thought ahead about what things would be my downfall and addressed them as best I could beforehand. Now, am I a success? Short term, yes. I'm down 17 lbs in about 2.5 weeks. Long term? We shall see. But I'm hopeful. My only regret was in waiting so long.

And when I see the hardships some here have overcome, or better yet, what some of our returning vets have overcome, losing weight seems like a cakewalk. I'll never give up until I've won. Never.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    As for when it gets easier, when it becomes a habit, and when you see meaningful results. Most humans aren't blessed with unlimited determination. Once eating better becomes second nature and you experience the rewards of positive changes, it's going to become much harder to go back.
  • B32Roden
    B32Roden Posts: 11
    Options
    It might not necessarily get "easier" but you will adapt, get healthier, stronger and more motivated.

Getting fit, eating right, working out isn't meant to be easy, otherwise everyone would do it without any issues.

Instead of looking at how hard it is, focus on your accomplishments - even if they're small. E.g. choosing a healthy food when you're craving junk food, completing a workout, walking somewhere instead of driving, cooking a nutritious meal.

There is something you can do every day to make yourself feel good, eventually it will become part of your everyday routine.

Count the small milestones, they'll add up to something big when you look back in 3 months, 6 months or even a year!

You can keep going, get today's challenge completed - whatever it is and then plan tomorrow's challenge.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    It will get easier. You'll find ways, and get used to it.

It will be more difficult when you have to change your profile name because 'cute' is missing off the version we all see!

I like it though! It's funny!
  • JennyJ2015
    JennyJ2015 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i does get easier ! you really have to be serious about this though which i'm sure you are other wise you wouldn't want advise. once you add mfp into you daily routine you wont want to go a day with out it. and its definately easier when you have a team behind you !! you will do great !!!
  • janecarol61
    janecarol61 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi!

It will get easier. You have to look at it as a life syle change. It will not be a quick fix overnight but instead a long journey where some days will be easier than others. There will be hiccups, rough weeks, easy weeks, hard weeks, skinny weeks, fat weeks, healthy weeks and unhealthy weeks. But in the end changing to a healthier you looking in the mirror all of that you will realize it was worth it!

Thank you for this!! I needed it today....
  • Karen64Lynn
    Karen64Lynn Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    For me it seems to take a month or two (I know that is not what you wanted to hear) to really adapt and make my changes part of my normal routine. Since January 2nd I have increased my exercise, reduced my portion sizes and have chosen to eat healthier. There are definitely good days and bad days but journaling on MFP will let you really see what is going on. For me, it was an eye opener how quickly the calories add up! I tend to eat more calories earlier in the day (probably because I get up early to exercise) so by mid day I am almost out of calories left if I am not careful and make wise choices. It really wasn't until the beginning of April that I really started to notice a change in my weight and hunger. Hang in there - it is worth it. When you go to reach for something try to make it fruit, veggies (cut them up at the beginning of the week), a glass of water or go take a short walk. That is what I try to do before I eat something that I will regret. Make friends on this site to help motivate & encourage you. Check in daily to help keep you on track. You can do it!
  • amethyst70
    amethyst70 Posts: 68
    Options
    when you embrace it

Just This....

You won't find much sympathy around here. You WILL find understanding and answers.

I recently posted on another social media site how irritating it is, to start out and have questions, and get the same snarky answers from everyone.

Thing is, nobody is trying to be snarky. The truth is, it is what it is. You make it what you want. If you consider it daunting, and a diet, and like OMG, then it will be hard and difficult every step of the way. IF you look at this as a shot at a new you, a new day, a new life, and a new chance, then it will be sooooo much easier. It isn't a temporary sort of thing. It is a life changing sort of thing. Simply put, as OP said, "when you embrace it".

For me its like this.
    Old me, cried and whined about my weight, ate whatever, sat on my *kitten*, and blamed my metabolic disorder.

New me, smiles at every milestone, eats within my deficit, lifts, walks, bikes, and kicking my metabolic disorder in the face.

Was it hard in the beginning? YES, because I was holding on to old me values. Let Go. Find NEW YOU values, and put them in to motion. Yes, it gets easier, WAY easier.

The more you move the easier it is. You will learn, you can eat whatever you want, but are you willing to put the work in for it. Is that piece of pizza worth a 4mph walk for an hour? Is that Starbucks cremed up, sugared down latte worth 4 hours or cardio?
    I do not ever go hungry. I make healthy food choices 90-95% of the time. I consider how many calories I have to eat, and if it is 500 I consider all my food choices worth 500 calories as well as how much I have exercised or how much I want to for the day. Sometimes, I do eat that piece of pizza, or a cookie, or ice cream, or cake, more often I choose a big *kitten* plate of veggies, quinoa, scallops, and cod.

I never counted calories in my entire life. This process was an eye opener to me, but I love to learn, I love gaining knowledge, so it has been a win/win for me. And yes, I too, was once like you just 3 short months ago. I wanted quick, easy answers, and someone to give me clarity. The clarity comes from within.

Give it 30 days. Anybody can do anything for 30 days. Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like. I really am not snarky. Just matter of fact sometimes. :) Happy losing!!
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    It will get easier.

In the beginning, my mind would scream like a 2 year old that it *couldn't* log everything and that it *couldn't* eat only what I had planned to eat that day. This part of me kept up the temper tantrum for many weeks. In time, her whining was less frequent. If I gave in to her though, she'd start up again, full-force, and I would have to retrain her again from the beginning. After about five months, I didn't hear from her anymore.

You can do this.

This is so true! There's always a stubborn voice in the back of my brain that whines "I don't wanna do that" and screams for chocolate, but I beat it 3 years ago, and I can do it again. It really does get easier week by week to forget about the old ways. After a few months, I felt so good that I focused more about what I was purposely putting into my body than what I was avoiding.

So many good posts here. I also like the idea of celebrating in increments, like every 10% of your goal that gets knocked down. That's how I approached paying off debt 10 years ago, and it really did help!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    BLAH! I'm 3 days in... And I feel like I'm already going to fail. I don't mean to be negative, but it's very difficult. Have any of you felt the same and eventually found that sticking to eating well became easier?

It is the habit of eating that is hard to break. You mentally are used to eating certain foods, certain amounts, and not having to think about it. None of that considers what your body needs. It is just eating to satisfy your other senses or emotions. THAT is the hard part to get over. The good news is, every time you make a better choice to moderate your eating or exercise, you take a step closer to living healthier like you want.

The BIGGEST things is to make those choices each day, every day, for the rest of your life. There is no end, just a new lifestyle.

That is where people fear giving up because they don't know if they can change. But you know where your current eating habits take you.

All the best!
  • catsaresupercute
    Options
    Thank you for all of the replies. They mean a lot and each has wonderful advice. I'm looking forward to this journey knowing that so many others on here can be uplifting.

I didn't mean for my thread to come across as whiney or a reach for sympathy. Sorry if that's how it appeared!

I've tried this many times, and I'm just incredibly nervous of what the outcome will be this time. I'm seeing a therapist and reading a really awesome book- both have been helpful.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the replies. They mean a lot and each has wonderful advice. I'm looking forward to this journey knowing that so many others on here can be uplifting.

I didn't mean for my thread to come across as whiney or a reach for sympathy. Sorry if that's how it appeared!

I've tried this many times, and I'm just incredibly nervous of what the outcome will be this time. I'm seeing a therapist and reading a really awesome book- both have been helpful.

^ that is awesome!!! Immerse yourself in the book, and I also recommend changing your music style up just a lil bit.. it needs to be an entire lifestyle change.. maybe listen to more dance music while moving around the house.

..those extra calories burnt dancing 24/7 add up quick.

daft punk, deadmau5 ... I could go on & on.
  • catsaresupercute
    Options
    Thank you everyone! All the replies are appreciated.
  • catsaresupercute
    Options

^ that is awesome!!! Immerse yourself in the book, and I also recommend changing your music style up just a lil bit.. it needs to be an entire lifestyle change.. maybe listen to more dance music while moving around the house.

..those extra calories burnt dancing 24/7 add up quick.

daft punk, deadmau5 ... I could go on & on.

Two of my favorite already! :) Might as well dance to them too