21 Day Fix; having concerns of calorie deficit. Thoughts?

Options
Hi folks. I JUST started the 21 Day Fix yesterday. Historically, I've always tracked my ins and outs here with Myfitnesspal. I did the same yesterday, JUST TO SEE how many calories I ate with the 21 Day Fix. I stuck with all the approved foods in the list, and ate all of my containers, yet after doing so, and subtracting the calories I burned from exercise (I use a Polar Heart Rate Monitor to track my burn), I only netted a total of 760 calories in (after subtracting exercise calories). This puts me in a HUGE deficit. While I felt somewhat satiated on the meal plan, I have very strong concerns for the low number of calories I consumed. I don't think I honestly could have shoved any more veggies in yesterday (that is their recommendation if you want to eat more), and even if I could have, I wouldn't have been able to make up those extra 300 plus calories to keep me within healthy caloric intake for the day. This really has me discouraged, and second guessing this program, and it's safety and effectiveness. I don't want to go into starvation mode, and not see results. I have roughly 10 lbs. I'd like to lose (I weigh 145 and am 5'7). Please advise.

P.S. I want to add, that the routines are EXCELLENT, I love them!! I just have concerns regarding the meal plan.

Replies

• janessanessa
    janessanessa Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I guess I should have added I am a pollo vegetarian (eat chicken only). I think this may be part of my problem.
  • laurae
    laurae Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I do not have the program, but I have been researching it. I have been doing a similar method for my food logging by using a white board and tracking servings of various food groups. I was surprised to find that they are the exact same categories that this program uses. I did find a chart they give for portions depending on your calorie goal. If you know your total daily energy expenditure, then you can calculate a small deficit of no more than 20% and use that number for your portion amount. I am currently 149 lbs. and 5'3.5". And with my workout included, I average around 2300 calories burned in a day, so I would aim for 1800 calories, which is the high end of one group and low end of the next one up. I usually aim for low knowing that in reality I probably do eat more than I plan. I would suggest aiming for their 1500 - 1800 goal and see how it goes.