elliptical vs treadmill

Options
QUESTION??: Why do you burn more calories on the elliptical vs the treadmill?? The treadmill is soooo much harder, makes no sense :grumble:

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You don't necessarily. The calorie counter on the machines are not accurate at all. You should use a HRM to calculate calories burned and do both machines to see which one You burn more calories on.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    it's funny cause before i had a HRM i would swear that the elliptical was a much better workout than the treadmill but since i got my HRM i honestly prefer the treadmill more....i switch it up with incline and speed changes and get a much better workout than on the elliptical...for example last night after my spin class i headed to the gym and did 10 mins on each machine - it was 1/2 mile on each in the 10 min period but i burned 75cals on the treadmill versus 68cals on the elliptical...i push myself way harder on the treadmill with the hills and the various speeds....i'm sticking to the treadmill and will continue to change it up to get a better burn......just my opinion of course...
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    It depends on the resistance you choose. Elliptical is not necessarily easier, just easier on your joints. It mimics running with out the stress on your joints. If you aren't feeling it and your heart rate is increasing than up the resistance.
  • DS13
    DS13 Posts: 136
    Options
    Yeah I think treadmills are harder too and there's no way an elliptical burns more calories especially when going intensely. When going hard on an elliptical it feels like at some point it simply moves with you even on higher resistances so the count might be flawed. Whereas on a treadmill all the work is on you.
  • tkevo
    tkevo Posts: 2
    Options
    That is true. If you are looking at the calorie counter on the machine it is not very accurate. Yesterday I used the elliptical and it said I burned about 100 calories more than my heart rate monitor watch. I would invest in one of those if you are serious about working out.
  • christmre
    christmre Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've never looked it up, and I am only guessing from my own use, but on the elliiptical, there is resistance on the muscle during the entire stride, and on the treadmill, there is a rest in resistance, you only engage the muscle when your leg is moving up, not down, with each step? hope this helped, it's a little garbled, as I'm not sure how to explain it exactly. :tongue:
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    According to my bodybugg, I burn more calories when I work out on the elliptical than the treadmill or even running outside (about 2 calories/minute more). There was only one time when I burned the same calories/minute on the treadmill. That was immediatly AFTER 60 minutes busting *kitten* on the elliptical - I went to the treadmill and ran for 20 more minutes.

For me, the elliptical is not easier (it can be if you let it - just as the treadmill can be) - however, it is easier on my joints so I can work hard enough to keep my intensity very high for 60 mintues straight. My knees can't take that kind of work on the treadmill. If I could run at a steady pace of 6+ mph for 60 minutes 5/6 days a week, maybe I'd burn the same as the elliptical.

I do know that a year ago when I first started, I burned far far more calories on the elliptical than I did on the treadmil. Even when the treadmill was at a high incline, I burned more on the elliptical. It's probably different for everyone, and depends on what you are doing on the machine. This is just how it worked for me.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think treadmills are harder too and there's no way an elliptical burns more calories especially when going intensely. When going hard on an elliptical it feels like at some point it simply moves with you even on higher resistances so the count might be flawed. Whereas on a treadmill all the work is on you.

I have to respectfully disagree with this. The elliptical never feels like it moves me - I am the one that moves the machine. The machine will not run without me moving it along - even more so at higher resistance. On the treadmill, I don't force the belt to move. I just move to keep up with whatever speed I set it for. JMO...

p.s. - NEVER trust the numbers on the machines!!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill at home and I've seen calories burned on elliptical here on this site. I have an HRM. I've never used the elliptical but I do think that the elliptical will burn more.