Eating less than 1200 calories

Options
punkuate
punkuate Posts: 127 Member
I have set my goal at 1200 calories as I've previously found this to be successful and achievable. I do try to stay quite close to this where possible, but MFP always gives you into trouble when you are below this. So... How much difference does eating 1150 calories rather than 1200 make? How many calories is really too few? Has anyone had trouble losing weight due to eating less?

Replies

• CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Anything under 1200 calories is too few without direct medical supervision. I'd challenge you to look at your micronutrient goals. Currently, are you getting enough iron, calcium, vitamin A, vitamin C, etc. from real foods?
  • CA_Underdog
    Options
    Let's see.. today you hit 0% of iron target, 0% of your Vitamin C target, 5% of your Vitamin A target, and 54% of your calcium target. You also only ate 6 grams of fiber! This is one reason why eating so little is unhealthy. You have little chance of getting all the nutrients your body needs on so few calories without help.

Obviously, food choices--vegetables, fruits, whole grains, lean protein--help too!

As low as you should go is probably what MyFitnessPal recommends when you enter your height, weight, age, gender, and activity level--assuming you don't exercise! Then your body needs more.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    How much difference does eating 1150 calories rather than 1200 make?
    None.

Nothing going into the log has that level of accuracy to begin with, so at 1150 you cannot even definitively say you're below 1200.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I have set my goal at 1200 calories as I've previously found this to be successful and achievable. I do try to stay quite close to this where possible, but MFP always gives you into trouble when you are below this. So... How much difference does eating 1150 calories rather than 1200 make? How many calories is really too few? Has anyone had trouble losing weight due to eating less?

Well, 1200 makes it hard to get all the daily recommended nutrients needed. Eating less than this, you almost have to eat perfectly.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Why would you want to eat less? Losing weight too quickly will result in fat+muscle loss......as opposed to mainly fat loss. Losing & regaining (I've been there)......I ate 1200 lost fat+muscle.....then gained fat back....this increased my body fat % (ugh). 1200 was not sustainable for me.

How many calories is too few? This really "should" depend upon your age, gender, height & weight.....not some arbitrary lowest default minimum.

This number (below) is geared toward YOU.....TDEE is maintenance.....you want to pick a number lower....but at least your BMR

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • punkuate
    Options
    I have had more vitamin c than my diary states. Its hard to log fruit salads that are purchased from cafes so I try to log it generally in terms of calories. I always struggle with vitamin a and iron.

I totally understand that trying to get more vitamins, calcium and fibre would be beneficial, but if, for example, I hit the "goals" for these below 1200 calories what effect would the actual calorie intake have?

Also, if I ate exactly the same then had a big cake, using more of my calories, would that help or hinder?

Just trying to get my head around the variables.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I have had more vitamin c than my diary states. Its hard to log fruit salads that are purchased from cafes so I try to log it generally in terms of calories. I always struggle with vitamin a and iron.

I totally understand that trying to get more vitamins, calcium and fibre would be beneficial, but if, for example, I hit the "goals" for these below 1200 calories what effect would the actual calorie intake have?

Also, if I ate exactly the same then had a big cake, using more of my calories, would that help or hinder?

Getting more vitamins, calcium and fiber isn't beneficial, it's essential to good health. You're sacrificing health for the hope of dropping weight marginally faster. Re-prioritize. Eat more, hit your micros, eat at a modest calorie deficit, be healthy AND lose weight.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Something you can try is look up foods that are high in iron, protein, or whichever nutrients you are low in then build your meals from there. I am a vegetarian and this is how I try to plan meals and it helps ensure I meet my calorie and nutrition goals. I don't always get it right but planning helps.
  • punkuate
    Options
    If you have any yummy veggie recipes high in iron, I would love to see them. :)
  • BurntCoffee
    BurntCoffee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I ate under 1200 for most of my time here since April 27th. Be careful about your vitamins. Now I'm anemic and if I even bump my leg slightly I get a bruise. I ordered supplements and am trying to figure out how to get more iron in my food.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Am I right that your actual calculated daily goal is 1690? If so, why only eat 1200? And your protein is way too low to support your muscles. At this rate you will lose a significant amount of lean body mass along with fat and muscle loss will slow your metabolism meaning you will have to eat less for the long term. You should look at this as a lifestyle change, not a sprint to how fast you can lose weight. It's taken me a year to lose 79 lbs and I'm really, really happy with that. Now I'm more concerned with maintaining the lean body mass I have left than losing weight fast so if it takes me another year to lose the last 29 lbs then it takes me a year but I want to keep the 106 lbs of lean body mass that I have.

Read the following, they are full of great advice:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options

Well, 1200 makes it hard to get all the daily recommended nutrients needed. Eating less than this, you almost have to eat perfectly.

Why would you want to eat less? Losing weight too quickly will result in fat+muscle loss......as opposed to mainly fat loss. Losing & regaining (I've been there)......I ate 1200 lost fat+muscle.....then gained fat back....this increased my body fat % (ugh). 1200 was not sustainable for me.

How many calories is too few? This really "should" depend upon your age, gender, height & weight.....not some arbitrary lowest default minimum.

This number (below) is geared toward YOU.....TDEE is maintenance.....you want to pick a number lower....but at least your BMR

With MFP set to 1/2 lb a week I'm only allotted 1200. I eat a lot of extremely low calorie veggies and don't always log them I supplement with protein powder. Otherwise, I would never get enough protein. I also take calcium.
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options

Getting more vitamins, calcium and fiber isn't beneficial, it's essential to good health. You're sacrificing health for the hope of dropping weight marginally faster. Re-prioritize. Eat more, hit your micros, eat at a modest calorie deficit, be healthy AND lose weight.

Agreed.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

With MFP set to 1/2 lb a week I'm only allotted 1200. I eat a lot of extremely low calorie veggies and don't always log them I supplement with protein powder. Otherwise, I would never get enough protein. I also take calcium.

My BMR is low too (53 years old) .....MFP would give me 1200. But I always cover my BMR (above 1200) and if I lose less than 1/2 pound a week....so be it. I take supplements too.
  • cornchip69
    cornchip69 Posts: 1
    Options
    well because i'm diabetic and usually need a bit more carbs to keep my bg from dropping, i find it hard for me to stay around 1,200. usually i end up eating about 2000 per day... but hopfully once i get my pump that will change
  • punkuate
    Options
    I'm going to try upping my calorie intake after I do my first weigh in tomorrow. I feel like I'm eating quite a lot just now, more than I was before because I'm eating smaller things more regularly. Need to try and have a bigger meal at home at night with more vitamin rich veggies.
  • WTramontana
    WTramontana Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Let's see.. today you hit 0% of iron target, 0% of your Vitamin C target, 5% of your Vitamin A target, and 54% of your calcium target. You also only ate 6 grams of fiber! This is one reason why eating so little is unhealthy. You have little chance of getting all the nutrients your body needs on so few calories without help.

Obviously, food choices--vegetables, fruits, whole grains, lean protein--help too!

As low as you should go is probably what MyFitnessPal recommends when you enter your height, weight, age, gender, and activity level--assuming you don't exercise! Then your body needs more.

Maybe you research the topic of supplemental vitamins. They exist for a reason.
  • CA_Underdog
    Options
    I'm going to try upping my calorie intake after I do my first weigh in tomorrow.
    Glad to hear it! :)
    I feel like I'm eating quite a lot just now, more than I was before because I'm eating smaller things more regularly.
    I find adding good fats like olive oil to be easy ways to up a snack's calories.
    Maybe you research the topic of supplemental vitamins. They exist for a reason.
    I've done more than my fair share of research into vitamins and vitamin supplements, thank you. If you discovered something interesting about them you'd like to share, by all means do so.
  • CA_Underdog
    Options
    emsguy, vitamin supplements are sensible for populations with special needs (such as pregnant women), as an insurance policy, and for those who can't eat well for some reason. As a substitute for whole foods, the medical establishment frowns, as they readily admit they don't serve that role well:

WebMD--
    Many experts say most people should skip pills and concentrate on healthier diets.

“There are hundreds of compounds in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and other foods from plants that work synergistically in ways we haven’t even begun to understand,” says David Rakel, MD, director of integrative medicine at the University of Wisconsin. “You can’t take one or two, put them in a pill, and expect to get the same benefits. A diet based on foods from plants offers the best defense against many chronic diseases.”

Mayo Clinic--
    Supplements aren't intended to be a food substitute because they can't replicate all of the nutrients and benefits of whole foods, such as fruits and vegetables. So depending on your situation and your eating habits, dietary supplements may not be worth the expense. Whole foods offer three main benefits over dietary supplements:[

Great nutrition
    Essential fiber
    Protective substances

Kaiser Permanente--
    For most of us, it's best to get the vitamins and minerals we need from a balanced diet that includes lots of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. These foods also provide other important dietary basics like fiber, and phytochemicals such as antioxidants.

In fact, studies show that many vitamin supplements do not prolong life or prevent disease.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options

Here's some foods with their iron content

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/fruits-and-vegetables-high-in-iron.php

A good green salad (spring mix) with tomatoes, dried fruit like raisins, and a few other items could help. My food log is open. Feel free to look at it. I don't meet my goals everyday but I have pre-planned the next few days and maybe it will give you some ideas.
  • punkuate
    Options

Here's some foods with their iron content

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/fruits-and-vegetables-high-in-iron.php

A good green salad (spring mix) with tomatoes, dried fruit like raisins, and a few other items could help. My food log is open. Feel free to look at it. I don't meet my goals everyday but I have pre-planned the next few days and maybe it will give you some ideas.

Thank you. Very helpful. :)