Medical Tattoos?

Options
keeponkickin
keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
I have a few tats and love them. I really, really dislike jewelry and never wear it. I'm a type 1 diabetic for 35 years. I know that's it a no no to not have some sort of ID on me but I still don't wear the Medic Alert stuff. What about some sort of medical tattoo inside the wrist area. Would first responders notice? What's your take on it? Anyone have a medical tat already?

Replies

• kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,469 Member
    Options
    The only way a medic would find it on a wrist is if they are putting in an IV. Being a type 1 diabetic, you are more likely to be unconscious, so they will be putting in an IV... problem is, you would need it on both wrists.
  • Royalsbatwench
    Royalsbatwench Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    We'd likely only notice if it was on your neck, forehead or wrist. It just isn't common place although I wish it were.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    My friend is a type 1 diabetic and has a medical alert symbol tattooed on her inner wrist.
  • rachaelhectus
    Options
    It's an awesome thought. Jewelry can fall off in an accident, or be easily overlooked. I would have too many things to list though :( I'd be all medical tattoo.
  • SGM_Adonis
    SGM_Adonis Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I have a few tats and love them. I really, really dislike jewelry and never wear it. I'm a type 1 diabetic for 35 years. I know that's it a no no to not have some sort of ID on me but I still don't wear the Medic Alert stuff. What about some sort of medical tattoo inside the wrist area. Would first responders notice? What's your take on it? Anyone have a medical tat already?

You're leaving yourself open to that first responder's experience. I'd recommend against it until it's become more common.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Have it tattooed a little further up your inner forearm, near where a medic would insert a needle for IV.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    guy i know has a full beetus-based sleeve.

it looks cool.
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I have my medical alert tattooed on my wrist. Working in healthcare, you're supposed to do a head to toe assessment.
    I don't see the reasoning for getting it tattooed on both arms and you damn sure dont want it at an iv sight. Mine starts an inch up on the inside of my wrist and is about 4 inches total in length. And jewelry, I actually broke out from one I spent a ton of moeny one, so I went this route.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I have three med tats. They were used for radiation treatment positioning...
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I have my medical alert tattooed on my wrist. Working in healthcare, you're supposed to do a head to toe assessment.
    I don't see the reasoning for getting it tattooed on both arms and you damn sure dont want it at an iv sight. Mine starts an inch up on the inside of my wrist and is about 4 inches total in length. And jewelry, I actually broke out from one I spent a ton of moeny one, so I went this route.

Thanks so much for your input. Does it really matter if its left or right wrist?