Losing weight too fast?

Options
I had mentioned to a friend that I was starting a diet Monday and when I spoke to her today she asked how I was doing. I told her great, I lost 4 pounds! She replied that I should only be losing 1 pound a week. Losing 4 pounds so quickly is not healthy?!? I can't see how this is true. I am not over restricting calories at all. I went over yesterday! I think my body is just so used to me eating whatever I want that now that I am eating healthy the weight is coming off faster. I know once I get down lower it will slow down but losing 4 pounds the first week of a diet is ok right? I mean I had like almost 70 pounds to lose.

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    It's probably water weight. I lost 4 lbs per week for my first week and a half, and now it's slowed down considerably. Just make sure you're eating well and exercising. :)
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    to be honest, those first 4 pounds were most likely the result of retained water weight, that always comes off first. I think you will see yourself losing about 1-2 pounds a week in the future.
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. Everyone starts off losing more and then levels out :o)
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    When I first lost a big chuck of weight and started the veggies and proper water intake, i lost 5lbs in one week. Then it levels off and you'll loose 1-2lbs a week depending on diet and exercise.
  • jessicalhall85
    Options
    water weight goes first. I think its normal to lose like that in the first week! great job! :)
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    some of it is probably water weight. I just went through what I initially thought was a 7 lb loss in 2 weeks - the next day was up a couple for closer to a 3/4 lbs loss (much more reasonable!). You can flux 5 lbs daily, just depending. I wouldn't worry, especially just starting out. Now, if you're losing that much every week for more than 2 weeks - then I'd take a look at things.
  • cassandra77
    Options
    That's exactly what I said... about the water weight lol
  • crissimoyer
    Options
    I believe that just making changes from your old way of eating can have a dramatic effect in the beginning. Eventually you will level out & will lose 1-2 lbs a week. Good luck!!!
  • melissa1977
    melissa1977 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    The first week of almost any diet is going to show a larger number on the scale, especially if you're changing how you're eating significantly so. As long as you're not restricting calories and you're eating what you're supposed to be eating, I wouldn't worry about it for the first week. :)
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    I remember when I was at my heavy weight and losing 4 lbs or so the first week or so. I would not worry about her comment and kieep going you are doing just fine!!! once your body gets adjusted you will probably go down to 1-2 pounds per week so right now I would not worry about it :)
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    If you've just started, its most likely water weight and what I call "pseudo weight". If you are eating healthy, chances are you are consuming less sodium, causing your body to drop water quickly. Also if you've stopped eating out (or just reduced it), and are eating more "whole" foods, your body can digest these much more easily than the pre processed foods, so they don't stay in your body as long ie- making you weigh less.

Generally and over a sustained time, 1lb a week is good. Some weeks you may be higher, some you may be lower, but for week 1, 4lbs isn't absurd.
  • margie_77
    margie_77 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    In the beginning it drops off quick. More than likely you will not be dropping 4 pounds every week. As long as you are eating healthy, and enough to support your excersize you'll be fine.
    Alot of people want to give advice, but if you are feeling good and don't have any concerns, take that advice with a grain of salt, they are not DR's. hahaha
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    your fine
  • lildebbie
    lildebbie Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    I agree 4 lbs week 1 is great...agreed with everyone else as water weight.

I have been not loosing and not eating good and gained some...so this is my "psudo" week 1 and i lost 5 lbs, i know i won't loose that every week
  • mfkfoster
    mfkfoster Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Your doing fine. Like everyone has said it's probably the water weight coming off. It also depends on how much you have to lose. People that need to lose more weight tend to lose weight faster in the beginning anf then slow down to 1-2 pounds a week. I think I lost about 10 pounds the first week and now I'm at about 2.5 pounds. It depends on where you are in you diet. Since you just started I'm not surprised you lost a lot your first week.
    Keep up the great work you're doing great!