The Pound a Day Diet...Rocco DiSpirito

Options
Doctor's show discuss the book, the pound a day diet book by Rocco DiSpirito. You eat 800 calories for 5 days and weekends 1200 calories for two weeks only and then stick to mediterranean diet for phase 2. When you are desperate people are willing to try anything freakn crazy. The only plus is the recipes since they are focus on sustainable long term healthy habits such as veggies, fruits and lean protein and grains.

Replies

• dianneshanley
    Options
    I am into my 6th day on this diet and have lost 3.5 pounds. I know that it is not something that can be sustained for a long period of time but I think that the 28 day plan can work. At least it has me eating more veggies and getting good protein. I am concerned about the amount of protein and sodium (on some days). After I finish the 28 days, is it safe to continue doing it if I want to lose more weight or can someone suggest a good diet cookbook. I am gluten intolerant so need something that will include recipes with that in mind. Also a thing I do not like about Rocco's diet is that there are so many weird ingredients (although they are helping me try new things) and many times I must go to more than one store to find stuff (a comment I saw in a review of one of his other books). Anyway, any inspiration, ideas, etc. would be appreciated.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I am into my 6th day on this diet and have lost 3.5 pounds. I know that it is not something that can be sustained for a long period of time but I think that the 28 day plan can work. At least it has me eating more veggies and getting good protein. I am concerned about the amount of protein and sodium (on some days). After I finish the 28 days, is it safe to continue doing it if I want to lose more weight or can someone suggest a good diet cookbook. I am gluten intolerant so need something that will include recipes with that in mind. Also a thing I do not like about Rocco's diet is that there are so many weird ingredients (although they are helping me try new things) and many times I must go to more than one store to find stuff (a comment I saw in a review of one of his other books). Anyway, any inspiration, ideas, etc. would be appreciated.

Generally, if you know your diet is something that can't be sustained for a long period of time, you shouldn't be doing it. Fast weight loss diets and unsustainable plans are a recipe for regaining the weight once you come off it. Eat your veggies and protein plus other foods you like while hitting your calorie targets that MFP has set for you, with 20lb to lose you should be aiming for no more than 1lb loss per week.
  • Born_to_Nope
    Options
    If I tried to eat 800 calories per day I would murder all of my coworkers.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    If I tried to eat 800 calories per day I would murder all of my coworkers.

Please don't try that diet, we have too many murders already.....
  • JerusalemsCross
    JerusalemsCross Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Love this.
  • Sarahsteve7kids
    Sarahsteve7kids Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Wheat Belly diet is excellent cook book! Grains as we know them today are not healthy and don't belong in a 'healthy diet' ! Good luck!
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 559 Member
    Options

I'm not sure how you are making it through the day with so few calories... I can't go below 1400 without being completely obsessed with food and thinking about when I get to eat next.

As for healthy recipes - you should take a look at Cooking Light Magazine and Cookinglight.com. They have some really great healthy, whole recipes and many, many gluten free ideas.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I would last until my second snack of the day on this. I easily put away 800 calories between my two snacks and lunch alone.
    I have no idea why people would do this..it sounds like a miserable relationship with food.
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    This seems borderline disordered eating, imo.

Especially because it doesn't sound like the numbers change for gender or height.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    The "Diet" is basically a drastic measure for weight loss that is utilized by people that are too ignorant/stupid to be able to handle a proper diet themselves.
  • halfpintpeggy
    halfpintpeggy Posts: 64 Member
    Options

Check into the 5:2 fasting group on this forum. Basically, you eat your maintenance calories (the amount of calories needed to maintain your weight) 5 days a week. Then, 2 non consecutive days a week you eat 1/4 of your maintenance calories focusing on healthy proteins & veggies. This lifestyle has been shown to prevent type 2 diabetes, lower high blood pressure, etc. Look into it & see what you think.
  • JaneLane33
    JaneLane33 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Didn't Rocco have a "reality" tv show a few years ago about running or opening a restaurant in NY? That name sounds familiar to me maybe he's done other things since the show I am thinking of that may or may not have existed. This factoid has little to do with a healthy diet other than I am not entirely sure what his credentials are for nutrition and weight loss.