Military Diet

Options
newfielover
newfielover Posts: 104 Member
Has anyone tried the military diet that's all over Pinterest? Does it work?
Thanks!
Hannah

Replies

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    The only military diet I ever did was when I had to eat in the chow hall during basic and deployments.
  • newfielover
    Options
    Thank you for your service :)
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I just looked it up. Looks like it's a very low calorie diet plan (under 1000 calories a day). Lots of questionable claims on the site as well.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Just no.

a) it has no right to be called the Military diet, as no self-respecting military has ever laid claim to it;
    b) it's just a VLCD crock, there is no magic in the combination of foods;
    c) there's no point "kickstarting" weight loss, just set a reasonable deficit, some reasonable expectations and go to it.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I remember this diet! Back in the '80s, way before Pinterest and the internet, people would pass around badly xeroxed copies of this gem. I think there were more canned beets in that one. This very well could have been the gateway drug that started me on 15 years of fad dieting. (dun dun DUNNN)

Seriously, OP, don't do this. You'll just be tired and angry for 3 days.

Set up your goals with MFP and take the slow road with the rest of us. You get to have ice cream our way. :bigsmile:
  • newfielover
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll avoid it :)
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Just had to look it up.... Wow, as someone who ate an actual military diet for several years, that's not it. Don't know why it's called that... :)
    Seriously though, just one serving of vegetable a day? Doesn't sound like a good idea. And it doesn't seem sustainable. Ditch the diets if you want long-term change.
  • LunaGreen
    LunaGreen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I've had lots of friends try it, with very short term success, I actually might try it if I was getting ready for a special event. I also don't know that any of them actually made it past day 4 or 5 lol