Exercise and diet

Options
Hi I'm new can anyone tell me if u eat 1200-1400 calories a day how long should u exercise for many sites say u need to exercise more then u eat so confused please help thanks

Replies

• Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Eating 1200 - 1400 a day you will definitely lose even without exercise, if you want to add exercise that can speed things up for you but, if you are eating so low I would eat back my exercise calories. Do as much exercise as you are comfortable with and work from there. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • JoeyIbz
    JoeyIbz Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    "You need to exercise more than you eat" means that in order to lose weight you have to generate a calories deficit.

Calories you eat - Calories you use exercising = Calories you lose
    1 lbs of dat = 3,700 cal

MFP will do those calculations for you... you should follow its recommendations until you learn to make your diets/routines.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    As Those cals are low.
    Look up some guidelines as people fail because they are too stringent.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/919346-still-think-your-1200-or-less-diet-is-a-good-idea

are all good references.

Working out your TDEE - I used this one - http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

but there are others.

If you have over 50lbs to lose eating 30% under TDEE is possible.
    However if you have less than, 20% is more than adequate.
  • sharna378
    sharna378 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks everyone I found it confusing as I've eaten 1300 and only done 750 on the exercise part I didn't know if that was good or bad
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone I found it confusing as I've eaten 1300 and only done 750 on the exercise part I didn't know if that was good or bad

just eaten 1300 or net 1300? if you're using MFP settings you should be eating your exercise calories back.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new can anyone tell me if u eat 1200-1400 calories a day how long should u exercise for many sites say u need to exercise more then u eat so confused please help thanks

It is o.k. in the beginning to focus on the food first.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    You aren't supposed to exercise to burn off all the calories you've eaten. The calories you eat (eg. 1200 calories, 1400 calories) is to fuel your normal daily living - just being alive + moving around during the day. Your body will naturally, without doing any specific exercises, burn off more than 1200 calories in a day. So, by eating at that level, you already have what is called a calorie deficit - that is, you're body is naturally burning more than you are eating, so you should lose weight.

The way that MFP works, it gives you a goal based on doing no exercise, so that if you do exercise as well, you log that, and add those calories to your daily goal and eat them back. This is so your calorie deficit isn't too big, and you have enough calories for your body's normal processes, and you have energy, and you don't lose too much muscle mass etc.

Other calorie goal calculators would go on the basis that you are going to do x amount of exercise each day, and would give you a higher goal to start with (and then you wouldn't eat back exercise calories).

You don't have to do any exercise at all to lose weight, it's just recommended because it's very good for your health, fitness, body composition and being able to eat a bit more while losing weight.
  • princessG12
    princessG12 Posts: 21
    Options
    Hi sharna, kindly watch this video www.bit.ly/1iVzT3a it will answer all of your questions and it will help you to get healthy and physically fit.