Going over carbs/fat/protein limit but under calories?

Options
Hi guys,

Im a week into tracking my foods, i've noticed that most days I go slightly over on either my carbs/fat/protein intake as recommended by here but im staying under my calorie limit.

Im a member of another website who told me at this stage to not worry about the macros and just concentrate on ensuring there is a calorie deficit, is this correct?

I dont want to be putting in all this hardwork to find out that im not making as much progress as id like because im taking in too much carbs/protein/fat.

Many thanks

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    theres not really any such thing as too much protein...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Calories are king, but if you want to pay attention to macros, use the fat and protein goals as minimums and the carbs as a maximum. MFP tends to have higher carbs and lower protein than is "ideal" for most, as its default.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Calories are king, but if you want to pay attention to macros, use the fat and protein goals as minimums and the carbs as a maximum. MFP tends to have higher carbs and lower protein than is "ideal" for most, as its default.

+1
  • oej2908
    oej2908 Posts: 2
    Options
    OK good stuff, thanks everyone!
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I seem to ALWAYS be over on one or two macros but I think I've managed pretty well.
  • the_great_beyond_
    the_great_beyond_ Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I'm the only one confused with the wording of the OP. Are you saying you're going over the values for one macro or are you going over the value for all of the macros at the same time?
  • dont_tap_my_aces
    dont_tap_my_aces Posts: 125 Member
    Options

Exactly. In fact i always recommend people go into the Change Goals section and set their own. the default MFP chooses are mental.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I'm the only one confused with the wording of the OP. Are you saying you're going over the values for one macro or are you going over the value for all of the macros at the same time?
    I was confused for a second also thinking he meant he's over on all macros and under calories, which isn't possible. But he means he's over a macro or 2 at a time. Not all at once.

seconded/thirding the furrowed brow on the question.

Also just change the settings if you aren't happy with them- macro's are very individual for how people operate and what their goals are. You can't just take MFP word on it LOL- I'd die- way to many carbs for me!!!
  • mytabouly
    mytabouly Posts: 66 Member
    Options

Your kidneys may beg to differ...
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options

Seconding this. Bodies really don't like using protein for stuff besides building muscle in part because the kidneys have to clean up after it. This is why when people have obscenely high calorie goals their protein numbers look tiny and eat the lion's share of their calories as carbs.
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

Im a week into tracking my foods, i've noticed that most days I go slightly over on either my carbs/fat/protein intake as recommended by here but im staying under my calorie limit.

Im a member of another website who told me at this stage to not worry about the macros and just concentrate on ensuring there is a calorie deficit, is this correct?

I dont want to be putting in all this hardwork to find out that im not making as much progress as id like because im taking in too much carbs/protein/fat.

Many thanks

a bodybuilder tracking their food intake for a show will have a different flexibility than a person who's just trying to lose weight for general weightloss/gain, if you want the fastest result in a little amount of time... counting your macros by the grams is by far the most effective because knowing where to cut down your intake is crucial, basing your intake on your calories alone is not always optimal for you and by default you are still logging PROTEIN, CARBS and FATS. You will be surprise how much you will learn about the foods you eat if you are monitoring nutrition profile of your food, learn it, love it and you will see results sooner than you think ;)
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options

studies to support this?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,977 Member
    Options

Seconding this. Bodies really don't like using protein for stuff besides building muscle in part because the kidneys have to clean up after it. This is why when people have obscenely high calorie goals their protein numbers look tiny and eat the lion's share of their calories as carbs.
    Come forward with any evidence linking extra consumption of protein with kidney diseases in individuals that don't already have enough those issues or are pre disposed to them.

Also, how much is to much.

I await your response.
    The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine of course. :wink:
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    You can worry about macros if you want, but you can probably find better ways to spend your time.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

I can tell you for certain sure, that is just not the case.....

Both of my parents have had multiple kidney stones, and neither consumed more protein than I do now.....
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

Many thanks

If you are looking to lose weight, then ultimately calories need to be watched the most.

But you should try to make sure you hit your fat and protein minimums.

And also, you may notice your body responds differently to foods....

Like for me, when I keep my fats below 70gr I do fine.....If I hit 90+ gr.....
    Then I feel bloated, and look soft....and I am still under my caloric goals/TDEE
    And takes me a few days of getting back to where I was.....
  • daeth260
    daeth260 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That's just hearsay. Science dictates otherwise. The same as you can only eat 25 grams of protein at once or whatever is also bull crap. Stop spreading false info and do a google search or talk to intelligent people.