Replacement meals

Options
Curious on others opinions.

I wanted to make a replacement shake one of my meals for the day. Problem is do i use a soy or whey? which is better for you? any ideas/suggestions

please keep in mind I'm on a SUPER TIGHT budget:grumble: so i can't do something like shakeology (trust me i looked:cry: ) so i have to go for the cheaper options readily avaiable at places like HEB or walmart.:embarassed:

Replies

• ahbach2005
    Options
    we use a bulk supplement that eas makes it's 150 calories and we buy it at Sam's club. keep in mind it is only 150 calories so it doesnt get you far

eas advantedge in a bulk bag

I think it got the price down to less than a dollar per shake or close to it
  • kate1398
    Options
    From what I have read, the whey protein is better for you but I guess the taste would be a big factor also.
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    we use a bulk supplement that eas makes it's 150 calories and we buy it at Sam's club. keep in mind it is only 150 calories so it doesnt get you far

eas advantedge in a bulk bag

I think it got the price down to less than a dollar per shake or close to it

Soy or Whey?
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I drink chocolate soy protein from wal mart which is fairly cheap. I drink it after my workouts. I prefer it over the taste of whey protein... Which I own it too. Difference: Soy protein contains more sugar, has been found to cause "inflammation" (whatever in my opioion) but also is really good for your health.... Blah blah blah (heart healthy). But don't be afraid of whey protein which also has been proven to be good for your health and it has less sugars then soy protein.

It's merly personal pref. Just chocolate soy protein tastes 100% better in my opioion than chocolate whey protein... I had to chug the whey protein just to get it down. I look forward to drinkin the soy protein. Now there are other ways of drinkin it to cover up the taste. You can make it into a smoothie. But lets face it. I don't wanna mess around when it comes to drinkin my protein shake after a hard workout. I just drink the damn thing for the benefits. Nuff said?
  • crazycelt7
    Options
    I USE WHAT IS CALLED PROTIEN ULTIMATE IT COST ME LIKE 30 FOR THE LARGE TUB WHICH IS 70 OR SO SERVINGS, I MIX IT INTO A SMOOTHIE FOR MORE CAL BUT YOU CAN MIX IT WITH WHATEVER YOU WANT. MINE IS WHEY I THINK ITS BETTER FOR YOU THEN SOY BASED ON SUGAR CONTENT.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I am not too sure about the difference between soy and whey proteins, but I use GNC Pro Performance Whey Protein powder (vanilla) and I really like that. I usually have it with just water as a snack, but when I have also used it for breakfast with fruit, and I would even through in a couple handfuls of spinach.

And by the way, you can buy for about $30.
  • Wileyjoe
    Wileyjoe Posts: 282
    Options
    Gensoy products are available at Walmart that are at a fair price. They have added vitamins which is what you should look for in a replacement shake. They are not they best tasting, but with added fruit and/or a couple teaspoons of sugar free pudding for flavor they are alright.

Most of the whey stuff I have seen is primarily in supplement form and not intended as a meal relpacement.
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I used IsoFlex Whey Protein powder blended with skim milk and frozen fruit, it tastes great and it comes in a huge container that lasts a long time, I think it was $34.00? I'm in Canada as well so depending on where you are it could be different. This is what my kickboxing instructor suggested to prevent any bulking up as we do a lot of weights too
  • ahbach2005
    Options
    whey

I don't believe i've ever used a soy based supplement......
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    Soy or Whey?

Depends on timing of your replacement meal. If it's early in the day and far removed from your workout, I would go with soy (e.g., for a breakfast or lunchtime replacement shake). The soy protein takes a little bit longer to break down.

If it's near your workout, I'd go with whey. Whey protein breaks down quicker which is an advantage during your workouts.

If you can go with 1/2 of both, that works too. If budget is a concern, go with whichever is cheaper.