BREAKING: Extreme Weight Loss Contestant Almost Died

Options
McKayMachina
McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
http://truthinchange.com/2011/10/real-reality-the-scary-truth-and-scandal/

Real Reality the Scary Truth and Scandal
by James Garrison

People are going to hate me regardless of what I do in this world and the last few months have cemented that theory for me. It doesn’t matter how positive I am or what I do they will find a way create something negative out of it. Which I spend every day with one goal in mind, leaving the world a better place than I found it. I am not monetarily driven, I live out of three large plastic containers full of clothes and books. By the way only 4 of those outfits fit me. I completely changed my life and what I value 3 years ago when I first began my journey at over 715lbs. I simply value life and the experiences it has to offer. So if you think this is about money, well its not. Im probably going to be sued into oblivion and will receive no assistance for my medical which is all I want or need. Maybe I will get lucky and Obama will get this reform thing done. Or Canada, feel like making me a citizen?

I was threatened last week for my blog “extreme no more”, the funny part was when I talked to the attorney who threatened me… he hadnt even read it? I guess what is hard to understand is, after emailing JD. Roth and Chris Powell asking for assistance with my medical and over $50,000 in hospital bills I was ignored. This was immediately after my most recent hospital stay. I’ve had two since the beginning of this show and several hospital emergency room visits in between. Whats even funnier is I write a blog about my health and why I don’t think its a good idea to lose 313lbs in one year on a Saturday night because to be honest it was weighing on my conscious that America believes that this is okay and by Sunday morning I have a cease and desist letter and phone calls from show producers and attorneys. They were all threatening calls, and none of which was about helping me. The attorney asked me to take the blog down out of good faith and to see if we can get this resolved but Its been 10 days and still no word back from him other than he is looking into it?

Here are my health problems from losing 313lbs in one year.

I ended up in the hospital after the first phase of losing 154lbs on 90 days. Which btw if you check everything Chris Powell has ever said, he says its not healthy to lose weight that fast… I think he even said rule of 100 on the Dr. OZ show. Which means I should have only lost 80 or so to do it healthy. Why advise me to lose double? Oh wait.. because its TV and he wants to be famous and rich. Thank you Chris Powell. Anyways, that hospital 10 day stay I had double pneumonia, a blood clot in my lung and a kidney infection. I almost died but luckily survived which was at one doctors amazement. To get an idea of how serious this was the first ER I went to was like WTF? They then transferred me to a hospital that might actually be able to save me. Their words, not mine. Scary huh? Considering I have never had a single health problem in my life. Fat or Not.

Since the first stay I had several ER visits and every single time there was something severely wrong with me, blood in my urine, severe pain, cyst on my kidneys and many other issues. I asked the show for asssitance each and every time and they always said no and pretended it was no big deal and “my body was just fighting back against all this good”, their words not mine. I honestly bought into all this, they said the entire program was designed by CHLI, the California Health and Longevity Institute and everything would normalize. It still hasn’t almost 8 months after filming has finished. So fast forward to my current hospital stay.

I had the severe pain and vomiting on myself issue again… I go to the ER and they determine its my gallbladder and its infected. The infection has moved to my pancreas and the normal level should be between 50-300 and mine is 11,000. This didn’t take long to find, and I guess since I wasn’t pissing blood, or coughing up blood, or severely dehydrated this time and for once I only had one actual problem it was easy to find. They admitted me as in their words “I might die”. The doctor said it was from Rapid Weight Loss, and probably dehydrating myself from working out so much last year and I have probably had this problem most of last year as I remember this pain and they way it feels. I now no longer have my gallbladder but am experiencing side effects from losing it. After all, I can live without it but MILLIONS of years of evolution dictated I did NEED it after all right? Or if your religious GOD put it there for a reason. My question is if this is the most common rapid weight loss problem ever, why wasn’t it FOUND by the show with all the health experts we were promised to be taking care of us? Was it not found because it would halt my weight loss, and expose that this kind of show really isn’t healthy? Maybe, who knows. I still would like to know why at least the most common problem was never ever checked for by the show with all the problems I had.

So here is the low down and dirty truth.. The scandal if you will of reality weight loss shows and Why I think the show is Responsible.

1) I have never had a single health problem besides the hernia which I got from lifting something super heavy. No one in my family on either side has ever had any of the issues I mentioned above and when the baseline test at CHLI was done at the beginning of filming I was the healthiest person tested. Their words not mine.

2)Rapid weight loss is a direct contributor to Gallbladder issues, and so is dehydration see reason 3.

3)We were made to dehydrate ourselves every single week beginning on Thursday and ending on Saturday morning. We were given instruction of distilled water, sauna, herbal and precription diuretics. I have this in email proof. We were told it was no big deal, it was for a “clean” weigh in and would help us lose weight. After all everyone on biggest loser does it and its safe. That was their words not mine. I like a dumb *kitten* bought into this. After all we were under the care of a health institute and they designed this entire program. So we spent hours in the sauna, barely drank anything two days a week and did this for 52 weeks. BTW all the phase goals we did an extra special “flush” which helped us appear as though we lost an extra 20-30 lbs. Again Chris Powell has always advised against this in everything he has ever done, so why advise us to do it? Fame and Fortune maybe?

http://www.tmz.com/2010/11/16/extreme-makeover-weight-loss-edition-contestant-hospitalized-dehydration/ Check that link out, yeah unrelated to the weight loss my *kitten*? Thank you TMZ they really put their foot into it. Yes that is a Grease quote.

4)None of us were on that 2,000 calorie diet that CHLI designed. We pretty much were told to eat less and less in email and later just verbally as in their words “your body is fighting back, we need these numbers”. Or what was better “there going to cancel the show, we wont be able to inspire anyone”. We even went without carbs 2-3 days a week, at their suggestion to get better numbers and better results.

5)We were made to take diet pills 2-3 times per day for an entire year. Hydroxycut, Lipo 6x and other stuff. Which now that I have done research is not good at all and probably also helped create the problems I have now.

6) Chris Powell did not live with us for three months each. The fact is I maybe saw him 5 days last year and 95% percent of all communication was done through email and phone calls. Which is lucky for me because it means I have proof. Any contestant who says different is lying and doesn’t have integrity. Which for some that isnt an issue. I have honestly had a problem with how much this show has compromised me, my principles, and integrity a lot and its hard to deal with as a person. To know you lied to America.

7)They did set up a ranch and several of the contestants moved their for several months because they weren’t going to make their numbers. It was in Arizona, and you didn’t see that on the show because they wanted to tell you that we were able to do it on our own at home in our real environments. Which isnt true, and I think it creates unrealistic expectations for you guys and might ultimately make you wonder why you failed. However in this sense maybe he did live with a couple of them for a few days. I didn’t go, you would have to ask Alex, LaRhonda, Rachel, Wally, or Dana. Although I remember them saying he was never there he was out filming season two.

8)I was recruited to be on this show, I never wrote a letter and chances are if you did its not going to be anwsered. I agreed to be on this show because I wanted to help inspire. I had lost almost 100lbs on my own before the show and in fact told them in the final interview room that I did not think this was my last chance, and that the decision to save my life was something I made long ago and it wasnt theirs to make. Wham next thing I know I’m on tv. I went from 715 down to about 620… I was told to eat and drink a lot before the initial weigh in so that it would look like I was bigger. In their words “you have 5 star room service after all and its free, its not going to hurt if you weigh more : ) “. I guess this is how people get such HUGE week one weigh lossed numbers. So with the water rention from travel, and the **** load of water I drank it tacked on enough to get me to 651. Which I even thought was oddly high.

8)The show has refused to help me with medical, and thats fines… i guess that is their right to use my body as a vessel for their profit and fame because i signed a contract. But i no longer want to lie to america, and I no longer want you guys to believe in unrealistic expectations. After all chris powell just said that is bad on Dr. Oz. I want you to know when you decide to change your lives and you dont get the results we did its not because you failed at anything other than ALMOST KILLING YOURSELF. Take it from me…

I will probably need an attorney, if you are one, know one, or care to point me in the right direction let me know. I have attached email proofs of what happened via screen shot. If you want to leave me a message do so at my google voice number, I might post it here if its cool. I want to know your thoughts, so comment, repost, and lets let the world know the truth. After just writing this I feel my integrity and my soul being restored. It bothers me to know that more people will experience this and have as season two has already been filmed. Also what about the other reality weight loss shows this company produces? Which is pretty much every single weight loss one out there. The one with kids is what really bothers me to know, to imagine they went through what we went through. Thank you all for reading.

James Garrison

Leave voicemails here (682) 233-0083

Ps – You might say im Jaded, or disgruntled or whatever. I will simply say I was fooled and now I see the light. Why not share that with the world. All i ever wanted was to live a long happy life. You read it here first… The Biggest Extreme Makeover Loser, whistle-blow this. Also… to borrow a line from ROCKY… sue me for what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is the blog that got me a cease and desist… and its from my heart. http://truthinchange.com/2011/10/extreme-no-more/

HEY – RIGHT CLICK THE IMAGE AND OPEN IN NEW TAB/WINDOW to see the actual full readable image.

Replies

• McKayMachina
    Options
    Does anyone else want to tell this guy off? You weighed over 700 lbs., dude. Don't tell me you were healthy! That is such a load of horsesh!t.

Are extreme weight loss shows dangerous? Yeah! Is the goal to make money above all else? You bet! Is it your job to take care of your health and know when to ignore a doctor's ludicrous advice, especially when said doctors are contracted by a television show to say/do whatever it takes for rating? Hell yes.

Sounds to me like this prick thinks he's entitled to be coddled. He said, a few times, he KNEW it was wrong and the show was asking him to compromise his ethics. HE DID IT ANYWAY. That is a CHOICE. No one twisted his arm or put a gun to his head.

I'm sorry but BS. Big, stinky BS.

Grow up, dude.
  • jraps17
    jraps17 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else want to tell this guy off? You weighed over 700 lbs., dude. Don't tell me you were healthy! That is such a load of horsesh!t.

Are extreme weight loss shows dangerous? Yeah! Is the goal to make money above all else? You bet! Is it your job to take care of your health and know when to ignore a doctor's ludicrous advice, especially when said doctors are contracted by a television show to say/do whatever it takes for rating? Hell yes.

Sounds to me like this prick thinks he's entitled to be coddled. He said, a few times, he KNEW it was wrong and the show was asking him to compromise his ethics. HE DID IT ANYWAY. That is a CHOICE. No one twisted his arm or put a gun to his head.

I'm sorry but BS. Big, stinky BS.

Grow up, dude.

Right on, sister. Right on.
  • Ruby11222
    Ruby11222 Posts: 114
    Options
    Wow, I can't even read it all.

Can't stand those who do extreme things, expect others to pick up the pieces then BLAME everyone but themselves.

There's obesity, too busy with life, too busy in denial, then there's 700lbs...that's got to be something else.
  • Rainbow_Brite86
    Options
    Wow, I can't even read it all.

Can't stand those who do extreme things, expect others to pick up the pieces then BLAME everyone but themselves.

There's obesity, too busy with life, too busy in denial, then there's 700lbs...that's got to be something else.
  • Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    this made me feel ill and frustrated :$ that man could have pulled out at any time... but nooooo... and now his health is worse off and he says "it's all THEIR fault!" point a finger, and there are three pointing back at you...
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Oh My God! You mean to tell me that these TV shows are not there for the good of contestants and the general public. That some of these people just want drammatic results for the sake of their TV ratings and careers. That they really don't care if the contestants suffer ill effects afterwards.

Well I for one am deeply shocked. You'll tell me next there's no Easter Bunny.
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    And as an opening line, it's hard to beat this for self pitying whining, "People are going to hate me regardless of what I do in this world and the last few months have cemented that theory for me.". Good Lord.
  • Ruby11222
    Ruby11222 Posts: 114
    Options
    Yeah and he never would have had medical bills if he hadn't done the show!!! :noway:

Oh My God! You mean to tell me that these TV shows are not there for the good of contestants and the general public. That some of these people just want drammatic results for the sake of their TV ratings and careers. That they really don't care if the contestants suffer ill effects afterwards.

Well I for one am deeply shocked. You'll tell me next there's no Easter Bunny.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    The victim logic is amazing.

:laugh:
  • mfpseven
    mfpseven Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Where it was his choice to join, when he signed that contract It was no longer about health for the show. I don't think he should have continued the way he was after the first hospital visit he should have stuck to the plan they publicly set forth and lost the weight that way without the lying and extreme measures. I think shows like this are a big reason regular people fail with dieting. They see these completely unrealistic results and give up when they can't achieve the same thing. It's irresponsible to put people thru a diet like this and to tell people they can "get healthy" if they do the same. I applaud this guy for telling what really goes on behind the scenes. That being said, I do think he should have come forward sooner, when this was going on and he was at risk of losing his deal with the network and all the money they were giving him. Even now he could be sued for it. If it took him until it was all said and done to see it was a bad idea, his motives look compromised now.
  • TheGarrison
    Options
    So I ran across this and read all the comments. Seems most of you just aren't very nice. That's amazing... MFPSEVEN, I agree and that is part of the reason I came forward. I get messages daily from people expecting to live up to the expectations we set with the plan that was portrayed on tv which doesnt resemble much of the truth. All wondering why they fail?

Who am i though... just a guy who writes and responds to thousands of people about their weight loss and life issues for no other reason than to be there for them.
  • 51powerski
    51powerski Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    tldr
  • diversityfulth
    Options
    hey james! ive been trying to contact you for months im a 15 year old guy im 217 pounds i wanna loose weight and build muscle but besides that, ive got some few questions first off im shocked that this show actually does that kind of non sense ;/

but anyways my questions are

1) when chris powell first came and suprised u at the gym you seemed really emotional was that real? if so then why did you say you never wrote a letter to them and u were recruited to the show weren't you expecting him to be a suprise?

2) if he never lived with you for 3 months i saw a part were he was waking you up didn't he stay that night and didn't you tell him that why he didn't stay

thanks a lot! if i have more questions il let you know im sure i will lol
  • AegyoNoona
    Options
    700 lbs is definitely not healthy. BY FAR if your that weight u probably gave high blood pressure... Also pneumonia IS NOT CAUSED BY DIET AND WEIGHT LOSS. Nor is blood clots. Blood clots are caused by underlying heart issues, fatty greasy foods, and being inactive. There's no way that caused all that to u. There are people who weighed just as much and they didn't have anything going on like that. Don't think of suing them it's just gunna make u look bad. Your the one who took the offer you cudda lost the weight urself but no. That judge is gunna look at the contract YOU SIGNED and there was probably a waiver too! Ur fault man. Completely yours.
  • AegyoNoona
    Options
    Obviously the emotional part was fake if he didn't get castes but recruited. He got paid to be on the show and to fake things. Also, he said Chris didn't live with him obviously when the cameras roll and say action Chris can walk in his house just to film a few mins waking someone up and then leave. It's reality. It's not real. Ur 15 u got a life ahead of u and u can do it urself don't ask him for help because obviously he wont
  • Ximana
    Ximana Posts: 26
    Options
    could you be less supportive?

I think it is admirable that she is telling the truth

As someone who has yoyo-ed on the scale

I knew it is unnatural to have folds of loose skin

Know I know the truth.

it is too bad that these shows are pretty fake

and it is about profit.

because i love the premise of them
  • alasha07
    alasha07 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Where it was his choice to join, when he signed that contract It was no longer about health for the show. I don't think he should have continued the way he was after the first hospital visit he should have stuck to the plan they publicly set forth and lost the weight that way without the lying and extreme measures. I think shows like this are a big reason regular people fail with dieting. They see these completely unrealistic results and give up when they can't achieve the same thing. It's irresponsible to put people thru a diet like this and to tell people they can "get healthy" if they do the same. I applaud this guy for telling what really goes on behind the scenes. That being said, I do think he should have come forward sooner, when this was going on and he was at risk of losing his deal with the network and all the money they were giving him. Even now he could be sued for it. If it took him until it was all said and done to see it was a bad idea, his motives look compromised now.

Ok, I know it has been a while since you posted this but I just found this blog. This type of show does motivate people and it has motivated me. I would not have really started my weight loss without that inspiration. That being said, that is as far as it goes, it is just inspiration. It is up to us to make the decision to do it in a healthy way. This is why I am on fitness pal. I agree with a lot of the rest of what you said. The TV show group, it is all about ratings and he should know when to look at a situation and know when to say enough is enough. I am sorry for your problems James but not all of it can be put on the show.
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Hang on. Didn't realise this thread is that old