eating calories back

Options
whats your thoughts on eating your calories back and if so why and how much do you eat back . If not why?

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Since I am concerned with losing lean body mass during a cut, all I really worry about is hitting my protein goals while maintaining a deficit. Your body can tolerate large deficits without losing muscle mass, but you have to adjust the protein intake. For moderate deficits (250-750 calories/day) an intake of about 1 g protein/lb lbm helps retain muscle. If you go to a larger deficit, you need more protein and need to up it to 1.5 g or more. If you are exercising heavily, you need to go even higher.

So, I guess for me it all depends on if I am hungry and what my protein intake looks like that day.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    There are probably 1000+ topic already on the discussion board that addresses this issue. You can use the search function.

That said, if you are following MFP caloric intake guidelines, not an outside calculator, then you should be eating them back. That is how the program works and is designed.
  • nikkiworld2
    nikkiworld2 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I only eat them back if I'm hungry for them.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I eat them all back - because that's the way this tool works.

Otherwise it's like buying a hammer to use as a screwdriver.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I never eat my calories back.
  • joannadalina
    joannadalina Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If I am hungry, I eat them back.

MFP tends to overestimate on the calories, so even if I do eat them back, I try to leave about 100 - 200 calories. Doesn't always happen depending on what I eat, but I do try.

Best of luck,
    Joanna
  • KayBallin
    KayBallin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of topics on this. Short answer is, if you are using MFP's method then eat them back. If your calorie goal is your TDEE -%20, don't eat them back.

However, if you don't have a HRM and you are not sure how many calories you are really burning, eat half of them back.

I don't eat mine back because my exercise is already calculated in my calorie goal of 1700.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    If you are using the MFP method and not wearing an HRM when working out than I would eat back at least 75% of them. I feel that the cardio on here is a pretty good estimate for my weight and height, so I eat them all back most of the time. If you are wearing a good HRM then I would eat them all back.

Why: Cause if you do not eat them back you can be under 1200 NET calories and that is not a healthy way to lose weight or to eat.
  • BlueberryWatermelon
    BlueberryWatermelon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat them back. If I didn't, I'd be netting 1000 calories or fewer, and I don't want to do that. My goal is to be fit, not just lose weight.

That said, I usually underestimate my exercise calories by ~20%, in case the MFP entries are too high.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I eat them all back - because that's the way this tool works.

Otherwise it's like buying a hammer to use as a screwdriver.

Perfect. Thank you!
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    thanks all