Throat pain while trying to run...

Options
Hey guys, this is my first post ever on here, and I'm new, so if this has been covered already, please guide me to the right place.

I have never been much of a runner. I'm 30 years old, and have been overweight since I was 14. I played football, but even then I couldnt keep up with the running. I have tried a few times in the past to start, but every time the same things happen. everyone I talk to tells me that it's normal, and that I have to get passed it. What happens, is about 10-20 seconds into a fast paced jog (even before running) I start to loose my breath. I have tried to push through that, and then it turns into unbearable burning deep in my throat. It is so painfull, that i have to stop, in which case i am doubled over in throat pain. then it usually takes about 5 minutes to catch my breath. I have talked to doctors, who have listened to my lungs, and they tell me that it's not Asthma, but that I am overweight. I am starting to think that I am crazy, but I just wondered if anybody out there has experienced the same thing, and what they did to get passed it. I really do want to run. Physically, I have no issues with my legs being tired, or any other pain. If i could just breath, and not have pain in my throat, i feel i could run for a while. Please help.

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    That sounds like the normal pain from trying to run too fast when you are out of shape and just getting started. Run easy enough so that you don't lose your breath. Once you build a base level of aerobic fitness it shouldn't happen any more.

You do not need to run fast to build that level of fitness. Running easy for longer is more effective anyway.
  • bluflu2003
    bluflu2003 Posts: 12
    Options
    I had this problem when I started running. Like Scott said, it was from running too fast. I was inhaling through my mouth -HARD. This was giving me the intense throat pain. Try slowing down, waaaay down. Breath in through the nose (and exhale throught the mouth if you choose). Get a good, slow, steady pace and get a breathing rhythm - control your breathing. This is what helped me the most with the throat pain.

Good Luck!
  • pearlsnlace
    Options
    Did the throat pain go away with time?
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Stop running so fast slow down the pace. Listen to music so you don't focus on the pain.
  • gooserocks85
    gooserocks85 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i agree that you should slow down, or incorporate some walk intervals into your run (maybe try couch to 5k).

i also find that my throat is much more comfortable during a run if i'm chewing gum - something about the increased saliva and mint flavor combination makes it easier for me to breathe.
  • Tommeedarko
    Tommeedarko Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    UPDATE:

I want to thank everyone for their input. It's been a year since I posted my question. In that time, i have lost 120lbs, and am now running 3-4 miles at a time. Breathing has become very easy, and no more burning. The real trick, was to do exactly as others have said. slow down, take it easy, and eventually it will come to you. I'm gearing up for the Mudder run in a few months, and couldn't feel more excited. Thanks everyone, and good luck with your fitness goals!
  • mellyrajs
    mellyrajs Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Good luck at the Mudder!