Anyone lost weight after getting Mirena removed?

Options
I had my Mirena for a year and got it removed last month, I haven't lost weight since the removal, I eat very healthy and work out a couple times a week but no weight loss. Looked to update my weight on here, last time I put my weight on here it was exactly a year ago and I weighed 127. (I'm 5ft 3in) Now I weigh 147 pounds, I've never been this weight ever and have always been at my heaviest 130, yet I kept gaining on Mirena no matter what i did. I'm 23, haven't had a kid, so the weight gain has to be Mirena. I will wake up and my stomach will be flat, couple hours later I literally look 5 months pregnant and can't breathe in my clothes all day, even after a month of it out. Anyone lost weight after removal and how long did it take you to lose any weight? Thanks :)

Replies

• echochernik
    Options
    I'm having my Mirena removed tomorrow. Overall, I loved it - haven't had my period in nearly five years. BUT, I've gained an average of 4 lbs a year - so a total of 20lbs. AND I'm about done with the weight gain. Hoping it comes off easily. People say it's not the Mirena, that I must be not doing something right. But I've lost 25 lbs in the past with the same workout and diet regiment. Since the Mirena however, once I gain a pound, I cannot lose it no matter how few calories I eat, or how hard I work out. For six months, I worked out 5 days a week, and tracked 1200-1400 calories a day. I *gained* 14 lbs. It took the entire six months to get down to nearly my starting weight, but then continued to go up regardless. I firmly believe it must be the Mirena.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I've never had Mirena removed, but I'm stopping my Depo Provera shot because I won't be able to pay it until next month, I would like to see if there's any difference >.<
  • kimazoo
    kimazoo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second Mirena. Had success with both (meaning no pregnancy). I had my first on removed to get pregnant for my 4th son. it took us about 4 months to get pregnant and during those 4 months I didnt have a weight loss. I had it put back in 6 weeks after he was born. I have seen stuff like this but I personally haven't had that problem.
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    This is my third Mirena (after getting pregnant with my son on the first one) and i've always been able to lose weight. I got my to my goal weight last year. I gained 20lbs back but I stopped exercising and ate whatever I wanted.I"m back on track and have lost 6.2lbs in 3 weeks so I don't think, at least for me, it's the Mirena. But I will tell you that when I took my Mirena out for about 2 months untill I got the 2nd one I felt like I literally went crazy. Hormones all over the place until I put the Mirena back in. Overall I love it.
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    yes, I have lost weight after mirena was removed- but only after i started looking at food/exercise habits.
  • bluebada
    bluebada Posts: 1
    Options
    After a 15 months I am having mine removed. I got it 5 month post pregnancy and no matter what I did I was stuck at the same weight. I was also having joint problem (rheumatoid arthritis symptoms), fatigue, fast heartbeat, dry eyes, and irritable like when I was pregnant. I hope these will go away when I have this removed. Unfortunately the string has disappeared so I am anxious how this is going to work but it will be worth the pain.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    It took about 5-6 months for my body to return to normal after the mirena. I gained weight on it and I believed it stopped me from losing weight. Now when I work hard each week I see a difference unlike when I had it. Who knows whether it was due to that or not but I know that I feel so much better without it. I know that eating right and moving more works better without it.
  • echochernik
    Options
    That's good to know it took you 5-6 months after to get back to normal. I'm at the 6 month mark after having it removed - still no weight loss regardless of sensible eating and constant exercise. Here's hoping it'll kick in soon!
  • twabel1031
    twabel1031 Posts: 3
    Options
    Have you had any weight loss yet?
  • twabel1031
    twabel1031 Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm having my Mirena removed tomorrow. Overall, I loved it - haven't had my period in nearly five years. BUT, I've gained an average of 4 lbs a year - so a total of 20lbs. AND I'm about done with the weight gain. Hoping it comes off easily. People say it's not the Mirena, that I must be not doing something right. But I've lost 25 lbs in the past with the same workout and diet regiment. Since the Mirena however, once I gain a pound, I cannot lose it no matter how few calories I eat, or how hard I work out. For six months, I worked out 5 days a week, and tracked 1200-1400 calories a day. I *gained* 14 lbs. It took the entire six months to get down to nearly my starting weight, but then continued to go up regardless. I firmly believe it must be the Mirena.

How're you doing now? Any weight loss so far??
  • nnix64
    nnix64 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 3rd, having had each for approx 4.5 years. I can honestly say I have lost 20 lbs since January. when I don't count my calories and I don't exercise I gain weight. When I do watch what I am eating and exercise I lose. Mirena has nothing to do with either.
  • zahra1975
    zahra1975 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed 9 months ago. removal hasn't helped with the weight loss but my cycles back to normal!
  • galooshka28
    galooshka28 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost any weight yet.I had mine removed 3 month ago. I watch what i eat and exercise. I guess it takes longer for the weight to come off. I gained 15 kilos within a year and never been so heavy before. Used to think that i ate too much but after i done my research i came to conclusion that the cause of rapid weight gain is mirena.