Basketball freak, but is it hurting more than helping?

Options
Hey MFP folks,

I'm a fiend for the court when I'm at the gym. Whenever I see that there is some good competition brewing in there, I simply forgo the weights and hit the hardwood. Sometimes even when there's nobody in there. I enjoy the cardio and the game has been a love of mine since I could hold a basketball.

However...I know that the amount of cardio I'm receiving is good, and increasing my calorie deficit, but it may not necessarily be conducive to me losing fat. I could be, and probably am, burning muscle which is something I severely do not want. My weight loss goal is vastly more important to me right now that simply just playing basketball, so what might one suggest is the proper regimen?

I've been playing about 4 times a week and neglecting weight training save for a couple times a week.

Would you say that playing 2 days a week for roughly an hour each day, then strength training the rest of the week (4-5 days/times) would be a good, basic route to take as long as I continue to stay within my allotted caloric intake? Would this allow me to keep the muscle I have and burn the fat?

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    If you have a good lifting program, 3 days is all you need (maybe something like Stronglifts, Starting Strength or Wendler). Get enough protein. Don't run too big of a deficit. Basketball shouldn't be a problem.
  • iAmWrythm
    iAmWrythm Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you have a good lifting program, 3 days is all you need (maybe something like Stronglifts, Starting Strength or Wendler). Get enough protein. Don't run too big of a deficit. Basketball shouldn't be a problem.
    I like eating way too much to run a big deficit! Normally I'm right at or below my goal.
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    What you eat will determine if your body wants to break down muscle for fuel. BBall will help you burn calories, but it's not steady-state cardio. It's stop and go, up and down - requiring strength and power. I don't see BBall being in conflict with your goals. And to my eyes, professional basketball players are always getting bigger, stronger and leaner. If they can do it, so can you!

Hoop it up!!!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    You can play basketball, run, swim for as much as you want. Its not going to burn any muscle to be concerned about if you hit your macros with enough protein. I averaged around 115 miles a month running nearly every day last year and still gained strength while on a cut and strength/muscle when on a bulk.

Your energy level will be taxed would be my greatest concern.

The days you spend in the gym is really dependent on what your gym routine is. If your using a program such as 3x5,5x5, madcow, Wendler etc your in the gym 3-4 days a week. Or do you do splits?

Eat back your calories you burned and once again eat enough protein while hitting your micros and you won't notice a difference in muscle loss.
  • iAmWrythm
    Options
    What you eat will determine if your body wants to break down muscle for fuel. BBall will help you burn calories, but it's not steady-state cardio. It's stop and go, up and down - requiring strength and power. I don't see BBall being in conflict with your goals. And to my eyes, professional basketball players are always getting bigger, stronger and leaner. If they can do it, so can you!

Hoop it up!!!

This is music to my ears. Though I still feel it's probably necessary to add a bit more strength training that what I'm currently doing.
    You can play basketball, run, swim for as much as you want. Its not going to burn any muscle to be concerned about if you hit your macros with enough protein. I averaged around 115 miles a month running nearly every day last year and still gained strength while on a cut and strength/muscle when on a bulk.

Your energy level will be taxed would be my greatest concern.

The days you spend in the gym is really dependent on what your gym routine is. If your using a program such as 3x5,5x5, madcow, Wendler etc your in the gym 3-4 days a week. Or do you do splits?

Eat back your calories you burned and once again eat enough protein while hitting your micros and you won't notice a difference in muscle loss.

When it comes to weight lifting, I generally target two specific areas of the body and do 3-5 different exercises on them Normally 3 sets of somewhere between 8-12 reps depending on the particular exercise.

I'm not a very learned person when it comes to different weight routines. If you have a moment, care to shed some light on what works for you?
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Lifting has some pretty basic rules. And the basics work well for a long time, but it will really depend on few things:
    - what your goals are for lifting (strength, size, general fitness)
    - what your body responds to
    - what you like to do

If you're new to the iron game, a basic, structured program will work well for you. Try out a some different ones, and you'll find ones that you like and don't like so much, and you'll get good results with some and maybe not with others. Then you can start to pick and choose programs or parts of programs.

Body-for-Life: Requires 6 days a week
    5 Factor Fitness: Requires 5 days a week
    Stronglifts*: Requires 3 days a week.

I've done BFL and 5FF a few times each and liked them both and got good results when I kept my nutrition in check. I have only completed 2 days of Stronglifts, but I believe it's a good program. Based on experience, I'll also tell you that that type of lifting will help your Bball game. You'll have more power in your legs for jumping and cutting.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Play as much as you want just stop skipping the lifting
  • iAmWrythm
    Options
    Lifting has some pretty basic rules. And the basics work well for a long time, but it will really depend on few things:
    - what your goals are for lifting (strength, size, general fitness)
    - what your body responds to
    - what you like to do

If you're new to the iron game, a basic, structured program will work well for you. Try out a some different ones, and you'll find ones that you like and don't like so much, and you'll get good results with some and maybe not with others. Then you can start to pick and choose programs or parts of programs.

Body-for-Life: Requires 6 days a week
    5 Factor Fitness: Requires 5 days a week
    Stronglifts*: Requires 3 days a week.

I've done BFL and 5FF a few times each and liked them both and got good results when I kept my nutrition in check. I have only completed 2 days of Stronglifts, but I believe it's a good program. Based on experience, I'll also tell you that that type of lifting will help your Bball game. You'll have more power in your legs for jumping and cutting.

Thank you Jason. So in the 5x5 Stronglifts, the only exercises you do are Squat, Bench Press, Deadlift, Overhead Press and Barbell Row?

Edit: Just got all the information I need as well as the spreadsheets to help track my progress. Going to get started on it tonight!