Need to up my fitness quickly

Before I post, I just want to state that I'm not out for super human improvements and I'm realistic!

I am looking to maximise my fitness for a soccer match in 3 weeks time, but I haven't done any exercise really since last November! I need to know how best to up my fitness and quickly. Is it cardio? Is it gym everyday? Ideally I just need some stamina and the ability to run a bit again lol

Any advice gratefully received

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Get your running shoes on........but don't overdo it, it doesn't matter how fit you are if you're injured.

Do some longer slower runs for endurance, some track work (400m intervals) for speed and plyometirics for explosive speed.

3 weeks isn't a lot of time but you'll probably feel some improvements.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Work up to it, but definitely add some running. Low intensity longer duration the first week, then really start cranking it up and run fast. Definitely work up to sprints (hell, shuttle sprints if you want the best of it) so you can get your legs used to the power output (I know my groin area gets sore as hell when I get back to playing soccer, so you'd want to get those adductors used to work a little more to avoid a pull in that area).

Bodyweight circuits might very well be the way to go with that. You don't need much upper body work, but definitely get some core stablity in and some jumping. Burpees would be a good start. Speed skaters to get used to lateral movement. Squats, obviously. Mountain climbers. That kinda stuff. And hit up some mobility routine a few times a week to make sure you don't end up super stiff at any point.

Also you might want to spend a few minutes actually handling a ball and kicking it at the net every other day to get the feel for it before you jump on the field on game day!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Back in my out of shape days, my office would play soccer every few months or so. I totally enjoyed it, and I would be limping around for a week. I'm pretty sure I'd still be limping around at my current fitness level. Soccer ain't easy, and I think you're just going to have to deal with the DOMS, sorry haha
  • raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Try doing HIIT (high intensity interval training) it will help you get your cardiovascular health up, and reasonable for you to start at your current state of inactivity.

That being said- 3 weeks is not a significant amount of time to make any real strides, yes you will see some improvement, but to go into a soccer game with only 3 weeks prep, you are going to hurt.

You didn't get out of shape quickly, you won't regain it quickly. Any steps you take now will help you, but hopefully you take this as a stepping off point and use it to further your fitness.
  • bhamcitylad
    bhamcitylad Posts: 9 Member
    Any steps you take now will help you, but hopefully you take this as a stepping off point and use it to further your fitness.

That's the plan