Chronic Fatigue Syndrome / ME

Options
Hi guys,

I'm a fitness enthusiast that's been through the mill a bit lately with lots of family and life things. I'm going through some tests with a doctor at the internal medicine unit of the hospital, but he reckons I have CFS. Well, I kind of knew that already, having had most of the symptoms mildly for a long time and having given up hardcore fitness because I was, well, exhausted (for want of a better word!)

I'm still moving and exercising (Dr's orders...no naps for me!) but much less than I used to. I'm looking for buddies who are in a similar situation, so that when we get that 'guilty' feeling for not exercising "enough" (it creeps over me gradually and I have to fight it off with a large stick) we can cheer each other on. Some days are good and others are very crappy, so if you're up for some encouragement and support from me, please add me!

Peace!
Amy

Replies

• hhomeyer
    hhomeyer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Amy,

I too happen to have an issue with extreme fatigue. It is difficult for my friends and family to understand this. I get the feeling they simply think I am lazy and it hurts. I began using myfitnesspal about a week ago. I gave up weight watchers hoping that this will provide the same kind of information. I am extatic about linking this software to my cell. Map my fitness is a great way to see my progress any time I am out for a stroll.

I am taking ten minutes three times a day at work to walk laps. My friend and I can walk over 2.5 miles per day doing this.

Good luck to you! I would love to add you but I don't know how. :)

Sincerely,

Heather:flowerforyou:
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if you have heard of salicylate sensitivity. Salicylate is the active ingredient in aspirin and it is toxic to us all some of us are able to tolerate it better than others but it is not only in the willow it is also in many fruits and veg. Many plants use salicylate as a protection from moulds and mildews. Chronic Fatigue is one of the way it can express itself.

I would have looked at your food log to see if it is high in things like orange juice, apples, broccoli, Olive oil, tea, herbs, coffee, tomato purée and maize starch. Maize starch is used as a thickener in many low calorie fat reduced pre packed foods and it is high in salicylate and as the amount one consumes over a day or a week can build up it gives rise to a myriad of different health issues. It had me almost confined to bed and in such pain and unable to breath well to the extent I knew it just was not right. By chance I found I actually felt better doing any activity without medication.

Please look at either the "salicylate sensitive", "food can make you ill", or the "failsafe foods", sites they all refer to work done by Anne Swaine an Australian dietitian and her colleagues working out of a large teaching hospital. Food can make you ill also covers other things in foods which can contribute to health issues.

Salicylate can also mess with the thyroid because it has to work harder to remove this toxin from our bodies in those who are experiencing problems.

Hope this helps.