HIIT

Options
Any suggestions in how to log in High-Intensity Interval Training on MFP? I usually wear my heart rate monitor so I enter it under cardio and just add the calories. Is that the best way to enter it?

Replies

• dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    It difficult to estimate HIIT calories burned. HRM's are not the most accurate because they are really only useful for steady state cardio. However I would guess using a HRM would give you the closest number, so yes, I would just plug in what the HRM says.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Even the HRM isn't going to be accurate for HIIT - it's actually the beauty of it. You keep burning calories long after you're done.

I personally take the average mph of the session on the treadmill and use that. It's probably low. I just want to make sure I eat some of those calories back for my own personal information.
  • mizzdimpl3z
    mizzdimpl3z Posts: 19
    Options
    It difficult to estimate HIIT calories burned. HRM's are not the most accurate because they are really only useful for steady state cardio. However I would guess using a HRM would give you the closest number, so yes, I would just plug in what the HRM says.

Thank you!
  • mizzdimpl3z
    mizzdimpl3z Posts: 19
    Options
    Even the HRM isn't going to be accurate for HIIT - it's actually the beauty of it. You keep burning calories long after you're done.

I personally take the average mph of the session on the treadmill and use that. It's probably low. I just want to make sure I eat some of those calories back for my own personal information.

Funny you sat that because in fact yesterday I forgot to stop my heart rate monitor and about a half an hour later I had burned an extra 100 calories from when I thought I had stopped it after the workout.
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options

Funny you sat that because in fact yesterday I forgot to stop my heart rate monitor and about a half an hour later I had burned an extra 100 calories from when I thought I had stopped it after the workout.

That's because it was most likely calculating your BMR.

For instance if I wear my HRM for 24 hours, it gives me a number close to my actual BMR.