Protein

Options
Hey everyone! I'm just getting into weight lifting and am having trouble getting all of my protein in for the day. I am 134 pounds and aiming for 155 grams (35%) protein per day. What is everyone's favorite protein powder that won't break the bank? And what are some other high protein foods that y'all recommend?

Replies

• RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Milk, Yogurt, Nuts, Spinach, IF you are going to go with whey protein, look for new Zealand products,
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    and going cheap on the diet is like going cheap on the TP... eventually your going to touch *kitten* :noway:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I like Pure Protein bars, as for protein powder I buy whatever is on sale (edit: but still look for quality in the ingredients of course).

Cottage cheese
    Cheese
    Tuna
    Chicken
    Greek yogurt
    Peanut butter
    Nuts
    Milk
  • whitneylcripps
    Options
    Have you tried to pure protein powder? I'm thinking about ordering some because there is a coupon for 10 off 30 at target
  • Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    See this

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-highest-in-protein.php

And I use Body fortress from walmart! 60 grams for 2 scoops
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Quest bars have 20g of protein - and typically 19g of fibre!

I use a vegan protein powder which i buy at the supermarket health section which goes on sale all the time - not a lot of vegans i guess! I'm not vegan but i can't tolerate Whey protein.

Greek yogurt tends to be cheap for around 10 g of protein....and oatmeal have around 5g per 1/2 cup. I've been finding its easier picking up protein here and there rather than all in a couple bulk meals.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Imo, 150g is a bit excessive. It's typically recommended 1g per pound of lean body mass. Any more, and it's more or less a waste of calories that you could spend elsewhere. My favorite protein sources are Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, fish, chicken, steak, eggs, edamame, lentils, whole wheat bagels because well...peanut butter
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Love that you guys are giving New Zealand a plug..l actually work in a whey protein plant in New Zealand where we make the pure powder for our customers to blend it.. Thanks keeps me in job...lol
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Protein is great and has changed my life - the right protein. The protein I use is 92% absorbable and it is from New Zealand. It is the only protein that is that absorbable in the WORLD! Feel free to email me for more information - hannahnbarnhart@gmail.com

Troll make no sense.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Imo, 150g is a bit excessive. It's typically recommended 1g per pound of lean body mass. Any more, and it's more or less a waste of calories that you could spend elsewhere. My favorite protein sources are Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, fish, chicken, steak, eggs, edamame, lentils, whole wheat bagels because well...peanut butter

I agree 150grams seems excessive.

Mine are eggs, ham/smoked pork loin, bacon, fish, chicken, greek yogurt, cheese, steak...I try to get in at least 35grams for each meal which is about 105 and then my snack of greek yogurt finishes it off..
  • whitneylcripps
    Options
    If your opinion is that it is excessive, what macro ratio are ya'll using? I do 45c/35p/20f and the goal protein comes to 152 g.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    If you go to Walmart you can pick up a tub of whey, like Six Star for $19. I also mix whey and casein together, as they enter your blood stream at different paces.

Try to get most of your protein from meats..shrimp is my favorite, but also fish, eggs. I do drink Milk with sugarless choc added to it as well.

Good Luck,
    TC
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    In Korea... the cheapest place to buy protein is Costco.... I am on a very tight budget... it cost about 70dollars.. but others you can buy for the same size can run anywhere from 150 to 200.

However, most of my protein comes from chicken breast, almonds, and peanut butter..
  • Firehawk734
    Firehawk734 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I like 40/25/35 p/c/f and 40/30/30. For me, 20% fat macros tend to leave me hungry and irritated.

I don't care much for powder anymore. I feel that if I eat real food I feel fuller longer, and I have a binge problem so it's important for me.

96/4 lean beef, chicken, eggs, those are basically what I stick to for protein. You can also get kashi go lean high protein cereal. Not bad for a healthy carb source that has 10g protein per serving I think it is...

Maybe divide your meals into more meals to get the protein. 5 30g protein meals will do it for you. It's not too hard to eat 30g of protein in a setting. Most fat sources have some protein in them also.
  • Clarifications
    Options
    Cows leg,raw. 400 grams of protein.
  • elyshagunn23
    elyshagunn23 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Honestly it's hard not to break the bank lol. I get canadawhey protein powder tastes awesome an they usually send coupons, chicken breast and turkey, natural peanut butter and unsalted nuts
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    i have been using isoflex whey by allmax.. 27g of protein, 1g carb and 0 sugars. also i suggest bodybuilding.com for cheaper prices and fast shipping.. stores like GNC, vitamin shoppe, etc. are ridiculously overpriced.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    If your opinion is that it is excessive, what macro ratio are ya'll using? I do 45c/35p/20f and the goal protein comes to 152 g.

It shouldn't be about percentages it should be about what your body needs. This is one thing MFP has wrong. They need to change it so we can manually enter a number like we can on sodium.

The actual number varies some, but I know 155 gm is high for 134 lb woman. At the most it should be 134 but probably closer to 112. Now, don't get me wrong, 150 gm is not going to hurt you, but you should probably try and get your fat level up 40 to 60 gm a day and fill in with carbs.
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I love Lenny and Larry';s muscle brownies! 20 grams of protein, all natural, non-GMO, vegan, and they taste amazing.

Here they are on amazon, but you can find them cheaper on their website:
    http://www.amazon.com/Lenny-Larrys-Cookies-Muscle-Brownie/dp/B003CFB9LY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1401313806&sr=8-4&keywords=lenny+and+larry's+muscle
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I use Dymatize ISO 100 whey protein powder. It's $27 and if you order from Vitacost.com you can get $10 off a $30 purchase. I'm not affiliated with them in any way but it's the cheapest place to order my whey from that I can find. The coupon code is RGP9B9GX (anyone can use it). I usually get chocolate but they released a new flavor called Birthday Cake which is also awesome. It's pure, high quality, mixes well and tastes like dessert! I've used Optimum Nutrition whey also but the flavor doesn't hold a candle to Dymatize ISO 100. Good luck!