Food Diary Critique

Options
Would anyone mind critiquing my food diary?
Today was a pretty average day (maybe a little healthier) but its what I aim to eat usually.
I will happily look at yours in return if you like?

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Calories seem pretty low for someone aiming to lose just 5 more pounds. How tall are you and how much do you weigh?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    No idea what your goals or current stats are, so these are just general notes:

1. You're super low on protein. Even as a vegetarian (I'm assuming, based on your diary), you need to be choosing protein-rich foods more often.
    2. Be careful to compare the information on the package with the MFP database. You have a Stouffer's lasagne with 300 calories, 0g carbs and 110g fat on one day. That's not even close to accurate.
  • detoxjusttoretox
    Options
    I'm 5"7 and 130lbs
  • detoxjusttoretox
    Options
    thanks, I'm trying to get my protein up at the moment- I'm just not very sure how being vegetarian and not wanting to increase my fat too much. Yeah I've noticed those things being off, Everything I make is homemade so I just tend to go with the closest thing I can find.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    There is no reason other than a high weekly weight loss goal for 1200 calories...

you don't weigh your food and your entries are suspect ...generic anything is not advisable to use

protien is very low.

you miss days (all weekend actually)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    thanks, I'm trying to get my protein up at the moment- I'm just not very sure how being vegetarian and not wanting to increase my fat too much. Yeah I've noticed those things being off, Everything I make is homemade so I just tend to go with the closest thing I can find.

Try not to rely on other people's entries for homemade foods. There's no way to know how accurate those are compared to the food you're cooking. Use the recipe builder and enter the individual ingredients that you're actually using.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Your calories seem way to low and you need some protein in your life.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    More protein, more fat, more calories all together, and check the macros on the stuff you're logging... 110g of fat for a couple of hundred calories of lasagne doesn't add up.
  • detoxjusttoretox
    Options
    Thank you for the feed back, I'll be careful to check the macros in the future!
  • detoxjusttoretox
    Options
    Why do you say my calories are too low? It's what mfp recommended too loose 1 lb per week
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    1. You're not eating enough calories. Switch MFP settings from "Lose 1 lb/week" to "Lose .5 lb/week." If you have less than 10 lbs to lose, there's no reason to be eating at such a huge deficit.
    2. Where's the protein? .8 g of protein per lb of lean body mass would be a good start. 1 g protein per lb of body weight, especially if you're working out, would be even better. MFP settings can (and probably should) be manually changed.
    3. You're not weighing your food.
    4. All I see is fruits and vegetables. Do you eat anything else?
    5. You're not logging every day.
  • detoxjusttoretox
    Options
    Okay I will try to have more calories thanks.
    I see I don't get enough protien so I tried to up it today and will continue to work on that.
    Whats wrong with not weighing food? I will start if necassary.
    What do you mean? I eat fruit vegetables and grains, I don't see what else I could eat
    I am trying to log more but I was away so decided not to worry about those days.
    Thanks for the help :)
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Do you eat dairy? Eggs? Those are some of the best sources of vegetarian protein -- cottage cheese, greek yogurt, kefir, string cheese, goold old milk. Other vegetarians talk about nuts and beans, but they really don't have much protein unless you're eating a ton, in which case you're also getting a lot of carbs (beans) and fat (nuts). I'm not a fan of processed soy products, but you could choose those as well. Feel free to look through my diary if you'd like -- I supplement with whey protein, but I average 130g of vegetarian protein per day.
  • detoxjusttoretox
    Options
    I only eat animal products very occasionally. I tend to eat a mainly vegan diet. Thanks anyway though, I'll look through your diary
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    There can be a big difference between weight and volume (measuring cups/spoons) of foods. Weighing your food isn't strictly necessary for weight loss, but it's helped a lot of people around here.

For more information on accurately logging your food, I like these threads:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1270280-food-weighing-scale-miracles
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale