Shakeology Question

Options
Does anyone know if there is an comparable product to Shakeology that costs less? Can I use a whey protein powder instead? I am starting the 21 day fix and I don't have the extra money to spend right now.

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt or nonfat yogurt, protein powders, fresh and frozen fruits and vegetables, ect are all things you can use to make your own at home.
    You can easily make your own meal shakes for a fraction of the cost. It all comes down to a calorie deficit in the end.
  • The_Nameless_One
    The_Nameless_One Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had trouble justifying shakeology on my budget, around $129 a month for one person, yikes! But through lots of random internet research I saw what other people did to make their own homemade blends. I made a post here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1296847-bulk-homemade-protein-shake-boost for $0.78 per serving, 145 servings total. I add this to my daily protein shakes (I like the ON Gold Standard brand). All in all I make a great shake for less than $2 overall. I got the price that low using Amazon subscriptions. I use Amazon a lot so it made sense for me. Also, I don't eat a variety of foods, so a shake makes a big difference in adding nutrition to my diet.
  • Stacey984
    Stacey984 Posts: 27
    Options
    If you are doing the 21-Day fix you eliminate the shake altogether and just eat real foods in it's place. (a red and yellow container). If you want to use a protein shake look for a shake mix that is low in carbohydrates and has at least 17g of protein. I use Optimum Nutrition Hydra Whey (Turbo Chocolate) - it has 30g of protein per scoop. Shakeology gives you extra vitamins and amino acids but you can buy a multi vitamin plus an amino acid supplement in addition to the protein powder to compensate (but it may be about the same cost - I have not researched price comparison on products).

If cost is the issue, I would just try to incorporate more food to fill the shake gap.

Stacey (yes, I am a Beachbody Coach and personal trainer).
  • tigergem86
    tigergem86 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    There is some good protein powders out there. Look for something that is lower carb/sugar and higher protein like premier protein (chocolate is best, i buy from costco), syntrax (nectar flavors are the best, expecially fuzzy navel!!! omg... yum!, cheapest at super supplements online) and Unjury, online, i usually just get their unflavored protein so i can mix in my coffee or with some advocare spark. Shakeology has sooo many other ingredients in it that makes it so spendy. Itll be hard to find anything actually similar on the market right now but if you just want a protein shake try the ones i listed above.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,264 Member
    Options
    Anything.

There is nothing magical about Shakeology. Don't fall for the hype.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Anything.

Word
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if there is an comparable product to Shakeology that costs less? Can I use a whey protein powder instead? I am starting the 21 day fix and I don't have the extra money to spend right now.

You could use whey protein powder to supplement your protein intake, if necessary, but honestly all you need is a well balanced diet. I drink a shake a couple of times a week and I always buy whey protein based on convenience, taste, and cost. Shakeology is overpriced MLM hype, IMHO.
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    follow
  • shane_tac1
    shane_tac1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Just make your own shake. Buy a decent whey protein (Everyone here seems to be using Optimum which i use as well)
    and throw in whatever else you like. Can use fruits and veggies.

Had never heard of Shakelogy. Looked it up and it looks like a hyped up over priced product making a killing out of being nothing more then convenient.
  • sukhalove
    sukhalove Posts: 1
    Options
    I was all for Shakeology and felt I couldn't find a replacement or anything to match it's "great taste". Honestly, have you let Shakeology go for a week or so, and then make one and it tastes funky?!? I was a Beachbody coach so I could get the discounted prices and I returned so many because of that funk. What a waste of time and money.

Anyway, I'd suggest trying a few 2lbs options until you find one you like. I had the luxury of trying my guy's before I bought. I'm now using Dymatize Elite Whey (Rich Chocolate) which I bought of Amazon, but look for deals. I'm loving it MORE than I ever loved Shakeology and that pyramid scam they're running.
    Anything.

Word