cheese-a-holic

Options
OK I have been doing really good about not having much cheese. One slice on my sandwich instead of 2 and not snacking on it. I'm getting to the point now I'm have some serious cravings. I love cheese and don't really want to cut it out that much. Has anyone found a good tasting low fat or lower calorie cheese. I hate that there is so much fat and calories in just a whee bit of cheese. I saw a commercial for Laughing Cow low fat cheese spred (maybe?).

Replies

• sweetcheeks27
    sweetcheeks27 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Laughing cow cheese is amazing!! If you get the light kind (which tastes delicious) it is usually around 35 calories a wedge. they make spreadable which is delicious on crackers and little wheels that are also tasty!
  • AllisonDawn
    Options
    Laughing cow low fat chesse is really good! I like it for a snack on crackers
  • OGFleabag
    OGFleabag Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Love all the Laughing cow flavors!!
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Again, Laughing Cow rocks my world! I love the spread triangle thingys and I also love the round things Babybels!!! YUM!!!
    I also like string cheeses.
    If I'm going to have a sandwich with deli cheese, I choose swiss.

other better cheese options: low or reduced fat cheeses, feta, light cream cheese, mozzarella, Nefchatel, Parmesan, ricotta (skim) & string cheese
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    For sandwiches I use Borden's Six Cheese Italian Blend (its something like that) it's like 80 cals per 1/4 cup.

With "aholic" things though, I find substitutions never really make it. I <3 chocolate, but I hate all the lower sugar versions and what not so I get a really high quality bar and put it in the freezer and have little pieces at a time. With cheese I actually have string cheese or a serving of cheese on its own- so that you enjoy it more.
  • warrior_underdog
    Options
    So here's the science behind addiction to cheese, in case this comes up at some point.

Cheese contains more casein (a protein) than other dairy products. Casein has casomorphins, which are peptides (protein fragments). Some say that a peptide in particular (beta casomorphin-7 or BCM7) creates an opioid response, which would be addictive. But others have shown that this peptide gets broken down in the stomach so it wouldn't be able to create an addiction.

Currently, there are a lot of tests being done because there is substance to the issue, but there aren't solid links right now. So cheese isn't actually addictive :-)
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Great information, warrior underdog! Thank you!

And to the original poster... you are not alone in this. I loooove me some cheese! Laughing cow is amazing. I also like the low fat Babybel cheese when I feel a craving. There's also low fat feta cheeses that go great sprinkled on top of salads, veggie burgers... in whole grain pastas. Get creative and it can be fun!