Why am I not losing weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• vaponte12
    vaponte12 Posts: 7
    Options
    Hello,

Yes, the comment that was made about if you are checking everything accurately and don't despair you will lose weight. It just takes time, and that determination to never ever quit.
  • alexagia
    alexagia Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Never eat back your calories. For example, if you eat 1500 calories then burn 500 you will be fine. There is no need to eat them back. Also, I would recommend that you stay away from sugar, especially when it come to liquids. A lot of people don't log their drinks in and those can contain a lot of calories. This includes "healthy" drinks such as milk and juice.
  • Gratefulfreebird
    Options
    I saw this the other day........(warning, the author doesn't mince words)

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

I needed this article. I have now officially passed the denial stage. Time to lower my calorie consumption once again! ;-)
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Eat back only half your work out calories, if and only if you burn more than 100 calories in a work out. So, you burn 90? Don't do anything. You burn 500? Eat 250 back.

You should be weighing your food with a food scale to ensure you are getting the proper numbers in your diary.

You should also be checking to see if you are getting proper nutrition (vitamins and minerals). As this can slow down weight loss if you are not supplying your body with what it needs to perform normal tasks.

Overall, it is Calories In vs Calories Out. Malnutrition (i.e. too few vitamins, minerals, and proteins) can cause us to burn fewer calories throughout the day (not by a huge amount, but enough to slow us down). And underestimating our calories in is usually the main culprit.

BUT... BUUUTTTT.... its only been 2 weeks. So, chill for now. >.>
  • JennEason1
    JennEason1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    1500 calories seems low to me! You might not be eating enough and your body is hanging on to everything that it can for energy. How did you come up with 1500 calories a day?
    speechless

Do you disagree? Care to elaborate?

What you said makes no sense. Period. You will lose weight if you're in a deficit, even if it's an aggressive one. What you're playing at is the idea of "starvation mode", which doesn't exist. There is adaptive thermogenesis that happens after sustained VLCD (1500 is not this) but that's different.

If you aren't losing over a sustained period of time, which two weeks isn't really a long enough stretch to tell anyway, it's two things. Inaccurate logging or overestimating calorie burns from exercise (If one is using MFP method)

Accurate measuring is key! You can share links but for every opinion you find there are 1000 blogs/articles stating just the opposite. I'm not quoting something I read on the internet. I only speak from my experiences. I am living proof. Armed with the knowledge that I wasn't eating enough (wearing a bodymedia to find an accurate daily calorie burn) I upped my calorie intake and eliminated processed foods. In only 5 months I went from 20% body fat to 11%. I'm no expert so the only advice I can give is my own experience. I just commented on another post regarding the same issue and I will say the same to you as I did to the other. There is this phenomenon I like to call "Skinny Fat". The number on the scale is low but you're squishy all over and couldn't bench press a can of soup. You want to be skinny then eat 1200 calorie. If you want to be fit then eat to perform, lift weights and watch the fat melt away!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

Great read!!!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

I needed this article. I have now officially passed the denial stage. Time to lower my calorie consumption once again! ;-)

Me, too! Holy smokes, felt like a kick to the stomach (caused me lots of anger and guilt and self-hatred toward my past deceit). But...it's EXACTLY what I needed to hear. Of course, I'm still committing myself to eating the best sources of nutrition I can afford on a shoestring, so that means lean meat (and a lot of it), sparse and thoughtful fat consumption, and next to zero bread (huge, huge trigger for me to binge eat) but still maintaining a healthy dose of carbs daily.

If this is not applicable to you, OP, please disregard. But, yeah, so many influences around us (intentional or not) to help us "deceive" ourselves about our health goals, especially with portions, caloric content, etc. of what we put in our mouths. Yes, there is much (and very good) advice to weigh vs. volume measure our food. It does seem like you might unintentionally be underlogging your calories. It happens, it sucks, but it can be fixed.

I use measuring cups and spoons myself, and so far have had the scale tell me each week almost exactly what I expect (based on calories in/out). Very, very careful volume measurement can work (I err slightly smaller to be sure--don't PACK that cup, loose fill is fine), but really, I can see how a food scale takes every bit of unknown out of the calorie equation, and is probably much easier in the long run.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    1500 calories seems low, you might not be eating enough and your body is hanging on to everything that it can for energy. How did you come up with 1500 calories a day?
    speechless

Do you disagree? Care to elaborate?

What you said makes no sense. Period. You will lose weight if you're in a deficit, even if it's an aggressive one. What you're playing at is the idea of "starvation mode", which doesn't exist. There is adaptive thermogenesis that happens after sustained VLCD (1500 is not this) but that's different.

If you aren't losing over a sustained period of time, which two weeks isn't really a long enough stretch to tell anyway, it's two things. Inaccurate logging or overestimating calorie burns from exercise (If one is using MFP method)

Accurate measuring is key! You can share links but for every opinion you find there are 1000 blogs/articles stating just the opposite. I'm not quoting something I read on the internet. I only speak from my experiences. I am living proof. Armed with the knowledge that I wasn't eating enough (wearing a bodymedia to find an accurate daily calorie burn) I upped my calorie intake and eliminated processed foods. In only 5 months I went from 20% body fat to 11%. I'm no expert so the only advice I can give is my own experience. I just commented on another post regarding the same issue and I will say the same to you as I did to the other. There is this phenomenon I like to call "Skinny Fat". The number on the scale is low but you're squishy all over and couldn't bench press a can of soup. You want to be skinny then eat 1200 calorie. If you want to be fit then eat to perform, lift weights and watch the fat melt away!

I'm not advocating not eating whole foods, let me preface it. Whole foods are easier to create a deficit with because they're typically less calorie dense and you can feel more satiated with them. They're great to incorporate. However, cutting foods out is completely unnecessary. Since we're basing this on personal experience, I went from over 31% BF to 17% in 8 months without cutting foods out of my diet and focusing on macro/micros rather than trivial labels like good or bad. I still eat pizza, fast food, ice cream, etc.

I am not promoting eating very low calorie. I'm simply stating if they aren't losing, there's potential margin for error in logging accuracy. I ate 1650 net for the majority of my weight loss, so by no means do I think that she should lower her calorie goal, just be more diligent of possible errors. I promise you I can bench much, much more than a can of soup.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    OP you are eating an awful lot of sugar
  • natstar26
    natstar26 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Just personal experience that I went through, I ate within my calories but ate wrong food and scales didn't budge but when I ate right foods I lost. Would be interesting to see if anyone only ate bad foods within calorie goal and lost weight and remained healthy.... I don't think so.... Most people on here aren't pt's or medical students but we just say what worked for us hoping it will help others ;)
  • natstar26
    Options
    Hey :) I just took a look at your diary, I see you keep most of the time within your calorie, sugar ect goals but one thing I notice is the lack of vegetables. It is important to watch salt, sugar ect but even though you eat within your calories and you are eating carbs and sugar you will be stuck. I say this because I have done this lol. You can check out my diary is you wish, I try to keep sugar treats or "bad" carbs to snack time and only a small amount :) Yes you should eat back the calories you burned in exercise. If you don't when you do eat your body will store the carbs you ate into fat and the next day when you workout you will burn off what you stored yesterday, thus leaving you in a cycle.

Absolutely not.

Nothing is stored as fat unless eaten at a surplus. I'm consistently over 100g of sugar and eat 300g of carbs and can lose weight if I'm in a deficit. I also eat a majority of these right before I go to bed. Calorie deficit is king of weight loss.

I will say, for health, balancing your macros and micros is an important factor but even if these are off you will lose weight in a calorie deficit
    Just personal experience that I went through, I ate within my calories but ate wrong food and scales didn't budge but when I ate right foods I lost. Would be interesting to see if anyone only ate bad foods within calorie goal and lost weight and remained healthy.... I don't think so.... Most people on here aren't pt's or medical students but we just say what worked for us hoping it will help others ;)
  • skutnikj
    skutnikj Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Measure and record everything.
    I also looked at your diary and there seems to be a huge lack of vegetables and whole foods....
  • natstar26
    Options
    Measure and record everything.
    I also looked at your diary and there seems to be a huge lack of vegetables and whole foods....
    Yes exactly....
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I went through this as well. However, it was over a year ago and I can't 100% guarantee I was logging accurately. I definitely am now, and am losing, but I am also 20 lbs heavier than I was over a year ago.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Hey :) I just took a look at your diary, I see you keep most of the time within your calorie, sugar ect goals but one thing I notice is the lack of vegetables. It is important to watch salt, sugar ect but even though you eat within your calories and you are eating carbs and sugar you will be stuck. I say this because I have done this lol. You can check out my diary is you wish, I try to keep sugar treats or "bad" carbs to snack time and only a small amount :) Yes you should eat back the calories you burned in exercise. If you don't when you do eat your body will store the carbs you ate into fat and the next day when you workout you will burn off what you stored yesterday, thus leaving you in a cycle.

Absolutely not.

Nothing is stored as fat unless eaten at a surplus. I'm consistently over 100g of sugar and eat 300g of carbs and can lose weight if I'm in a deficit. I also eat a majority of these right before I go to bed. Calorie deficit is king of weight loss.

I will say, for health, balancing your macros and micros is an important factor but even if these are off you will lose weight in a calorie deficit

Right. Healthy is in the context of a person's whole diet, not individual foods. So, calling certain foods "good " or "bad" is trivial, at best. You don't get extra credit for getting more nutrients than what your body requires, that's Eric Helms, btw. Your body couldn't care less where it gets it's nutrients from, so as long as it's getting them. That was my point.

It worked the same way I suggested to the other poster. Typically, whole foods are less nutrient dense, your margin for error is better. I don't argue the fact that whole foods are great to incorporate into one's diet. By all means, do so. They help satiety with fewer calories and they do typically contain more nutrients but that doesn't make all other foods bad. And going over sugar and sodium will NOT halt progress. Sodium might cause water retention but that's not true weight gain, it goes away. Do I think someone should eat crazy amounts of either? No. But if a person is watching their macros/micros, that shouldn't even be an issue but that is a matter of health, not whether or not they will lose weight.

TL:DR Eat a balanced diet, stay in a deficit if you are trying to lose weight, enjoy your ice cream
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    Exercise. Note my caloric intake and my bodyfat %.
  • JennEason1
    JennEason1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Exercise. Note my caloric intake and my bodyfat %.
    Holy crap you eat like a beast!!! You must train like a beast! Doing work in the gym!