Dear food: Please get out of my head. Smooches, Me.

Options
I went to the grocery store with my husband yesterday (no way I'm going unsupervised - lol), and all the crap food kept talking to me. I just kept thinking about how good it would be to eat. This was on a full stomach, BTW. I have been on a binge for a few months now and just started getting my act together this week.

I feel like I am a drug addict and that for the rest of my life I am going to be desperate to binge all the time. Please tell me this stops.

Replies

• 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    lol the first few weeks are the hardest then you get creative. I missed pizza like nothing else.... soooo I bought healthy low calories pitas and started making my own with tons of veggies and a little cheese. Almost all the food i make now had the flavor turned up on high. once you start eating healthy and making health choices you'll find it is hard to meet even the 1200 calories and when you eat that junk your body isn't thrilled with you. hang in there in a little time you won't miss it at all!
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel... this last weekend was a KILLER for me between all the parties and extra time off from work. On Monday morning I kept wanting to go get a greasy cheeseburger and french fries for lunch instead of the salad I had bought! Don't worry, your bottom will adjust and "detox" from all the junk and the healthy food will start tasting better.
  • MrsFoster18
    MrsFoster18 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My gosh this sounded like me last night...but the boyfriend stayed home...probably a good thing because we are both doing this and if we both saw something we wanted I could see us trying to figure out reasons why it is okay to buy it! Anyways, as I was walking up and down the store I felt like the hostess cupcakes were laughing at me and calling my name to come to them! I think I am crazy! Haha! BUT...I did not buy them!
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    what helped me is thinking about all the things that are tempting for you. It's like me being vegan, theres always an alternative. Like for a pizza slice, which can be like 500 calories, you can always get wheat crust, low cal cheese, and throw lots of veggies on there. good luck.
  • sammicrus
    sammicrus Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It does go away! the best way I found for myself to kick the mental thinking of it, was to create a bet with a friend where there is no junk food allowed. I did it for a month with who ever lost had to buy dinner and a movie, the first few weeks were hardest for me but after a while you don't think about it.
  • lobster888
    lobster888 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    uhm...wish I could tell you it stops completely but that is not my experience. I can do really well eating right and as long as I do that I am fine. No cravings or anything - takes about three - four weeks. But if I slip then I fall down completely and have to like really watch my cravings ..it is like an addiction - if I don't have it (many sugar and carbs affect me) then I am fine - but I start eating the processed foods and sugary foods I am right back at fighting the cravings and it sometimes wins. Its hard to get back on track. I think this affect alot people like that .... but some people don't have as much of a problem. So, as long as I am eating healthy it's easy to stay that way - but if I binge - watch out.....Maybe you are like this???

I just went through a rough spot this last month or so and I ate cookies, chips, chocolate etc. and the such and I was right back in my carb addiction .... but I am slowly moving forward. I have to accept that is the way my body reacts and learn not to have slip ups.
  • Weimamama
    Options
    Thanks guys! I just need this to stop. Desperately. I heard it takes 21 days to make a habit. Almost 5 days down, 16 days to go.
  • smithwife007
    Options
    OMG do you know me!!!! I am going through the same thing!!!! while munching on a smart ones meal for lunch!!! but I really want pizza and some oreos! I have surrounded myself with healthier choices until I am able to eat without going over board...Oh and my hubby is a BREADMAN!!!! so I see snack cakes in my dreams! yesterday I brought baby carrots and apples to work for snacks!
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Stick with it! Yes the cravings will always be there, but you will soon find healthier options that make you feel better!

L.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    Not sure if you suffer from binge eating disorder, but the book Women Food and God by Geneen Roth is a great read if you're suffering. I read it in January and have binged ONCE since. The book was life changing for me.

Here's an excerpt from Oprah.com:

http://www.oprah.com/health/An-Excerpt-from-Geneen-Roths-Women-Food-And-God

YOU CAN OVERCOME THIS ADDICTION!!!

Charmagne
  • elloradannon
    Options
    Once you get used to eating healthy foods you will really crave those instead of the bad stuff. You will notice how gross you feel after eating "junk food" (atleast I do... I might enjoy it at the time, but I always regret it, unless it's a little nibble. ) Good luck!
  • Weimamama
    Options
    Charmagne - I actually have that book checked out from the library right now. I'm just in the beginning part of it. I'm really hoping for my a-ha moment!