Exercising before or after food?

Options
Hi, Im new here, also fairly new to dieting/exercise and havent done any at all for the past 5 years. Iv only started in the past 2 weeks, and on here since Monday.

Im not employed at the moment, but to get out of the house frequently Im planning doing 30 mins of light cardio powerwalking 3 times a day (all I can manage atm as Im still smoking).

BUT.... should i exercise before or after having food? Like in the morning should I go out early and then have breakfast or vice versa??

Thanks.

Replies

• CindyB97
    CindyB97 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I think it's a matter of personal preference, so try it both ways a few times and see what works better for you.

Personally I like to get my cardio in (running or walking) first thing in the morning before breakfast. Especially with running, I don't like the feeling of a full stomach or even if it's been a couple hours since I ate, it's tougher for me to run later in the day, so I definitely prefer to do it before breaking my fast for the day.

Whatever you do, good luck to you!
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    It's up to you. Which gives you the better work out :D
  • lifetime16200
    Options
    From what I have been told its best to eat at least 100-200 calories before a workout. Eat at least 1 hr after to keep the metabolism
    going. If you are doing any heavy cardio wait about 30mins after the meal.
    All those power drinks, etc. are all full of sugar. So make sure you read labels and always check the sugar and carbs. Start
    researching what is considered good carbs and bad.

Good luck!
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    I've gone for my cardio walk before breakfast, and found that I got a bit light headed and ran out of gas much sooner than when I have a little something for energy. I wouldn't want to run or do strenuous exercise with a full stomach, but a granola bar or a small bowl of cereal help me. Ultimately you will find what works best for you.

Btw, WELCOME!
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    From what I have been told its best to eat at least 100-200 calories before a workout. Eat at least 1 hr after to keep the metabolism
    going. If you are doing any heavy cardio wait about 30mins after the meal.
    All those power drinks, etc. are all full of sugar. So make sure you read labels and always check the sugar and carbs. Start
    researching what is considered good carbs and bad.

Good luck!

Metabolism only stops if you die. There's no real reason to eat prior to training other than personal preference.

Good carbs...you mean ice cream, right? Because that's the only post workout I need....Oooh so yummy
  • Jesslane93
    Jesslane93 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I will have a coffee an hour before a workout, and than eat my breakfast after I am done. I feel like I will throw up if I eat before a workout.
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    agree with the people who said to try both ways & see what works.

If you do eat before keep it small as another poster said. You need enough energy to do the workout but not have food sitting in the stomach as that is not only uncomfortable but could cause other issues such as throwing up.

It will probably depend on your current body fat level & fitness level.

Good luck.
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Im with some of the others. You must ultimately try and find what you feel you can handle when it comes to strength training or plain cardio or both….But me….When its a workout day, I try to only drink before my workout some green or black tea(prefer green).
    I then eat my breakfast immediately after. You don't necessarily need substance before working out although your body may require you 2. You just have to try it. I hope you do and I hope you can "train" yourself as this is the optimum way (eating IMMIDIATELY after your workout!!) of having a good deficit in the day and a way to sneak another healthy meal without even getting near your calories.
    I will use myself as an example here. I give myself about 1,400 ON MFP
    I also worked out and my hrm said 550 calories burned from elliptical. My goal became 1,930 but I only totaled at 1, 885. This is according to MFP only. I took the sum of my post workout meal out of the equation and my daily calorie intake totaled at 1,358.

I had a breakfast today but only cause had to work so i adjusted my schedule accordingly and skipped the green tea for today. Normally it would have been wake up drink tea, get ready and go. Come back and make breakfast no later than 11 (or its just brunch=D)I came back to my kitchen immediately(b/c you have a 30 minute window to repair all the tissue damage you have just done and 60 minutes MAX.-I never eat past 30 after workout and prefer to EAT then to use shakes and stuff-this is the best way i feel period to go about a workout!)
    You burn off a meal, totally eliminating it from your daily recommended and you still have the day to eat up your calories. I could go for bikini modeling or fitness modeling if i wanted-but i don't eat clean as i should but i don't compete so I'm fine with some of the processed food that i allow in my diet…hope i could be of some encouragement and good influence on you. My source is my uncle who had body builded in his young life has a masters in nutrition as well as a kung fu artist for the past 2 decades with more trophies than he really needs to prove himself. =)
    Cheers
  • TomJClements
    TomJClements Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your advice, and to everyone who posted.

My fitness level is low and my body fat is quite a bit, but not outstandingly terrible. Im currently 5ft 10 and 13.4 stone - trying to get down to 11 stone or less before I even attempt applying muscle/ doing a proper workout.

Atm my daily calorie intake is 1300 without excercise.... any thoughts on that?

Also - a bit off topic, and without trying to sound like an idiot, what is metabolism and how can you get it to be faster?

Thanks

Edit - if noone sees this post, I will re-post in another thread.
  • RedArizona5
    Options
    Your metabolism is how much you can burn the food you are consuming with out lifting your finger to play video games or just sitting on the couch:) To increase your metabolism a way that i have known to is by running for 30 seconds as if your LIFE depended upon it and slow down to a walking pace-do this as long as you can or about 9-10 times and i promise that your metabolism will torch some series eating:) this is just my way. I also drink green tea. Anything with caffeine will boost it but green tea by far is the healthiest way b/c of the antioxidants. also Braggs apple cider vinegar with the mother-2 tsp-2 tbsp. a day will as well! it has to be every day or you will offset the pattern:) Others may have other ways but this is the 2 prominent ways for me.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have to eat something before exercise or I feel nauseated. But, as I have read, some people CAN'T eat before. So it really depends on what you body can handle.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    yeah, it's personal choice and time management...I can't do anything with food in my stomach because I feel so heavy...
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    Best metabolism booster:

weightlifting
    Good amount of protein (typically 1g per pound of lean body mass )
    moderate deficit

there are no special foods. Retaining your muscle will be vital for keeping your metabolism at a decent speed. And resistance training will be your best bet.

1300 seems low for a guy. I lost most of my weight at 1650 net and I'm 5'3.5" and female, for perspective. Have to fuel yourself.

As far as endurance. You build it over time. Never give up. I started at 170 lbs, couldn't do a real push up, my only exercise was dancing in my living room for cardio and weightlifting. You'll get there. Patience and perseverance. If you get a chance, this link was the single most helpful information I found in the forums

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I usually have a banana or something light about an hour before I work out. After that I will come home and have the rest of whatever is planned for breakfast.
  • RedArizona5
    Options
    Best metabolism booster:

weightlifting
    moderate deficit

there are no special foods. Retaining your muscle will be vital for keeping your metabolism at a decent speed. And resistance training will be your best bet.

1300 seems low for a guy. I lost most of my weight at 1650 net and I'm 5'3.5" and female, for perspective. Have to fuel yourself.

As far as endurance. You build it over time. Never give up. I started at 170 lbs, couldn't do a real push up, my only exercise was dancing in my living room for cardio and weightlifting. You'll get there. Patience and perseverance. If you get a chance, this link was the single most helpful information I found in the forums

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

I will have to agree with Lynx. 1,300 is def. too little for ya. I can't eat 2000 calories-I just don't get hungry to eat that much….. I would not go so low…i was just usin me as an example and me being a female has to be put into perspective for sure. If you start building up your core first with pushups and planks you can move onto lifting. Try to get down as many types of pushups as possible and as many pushups as possible! This is how I do things and I am aware of it so outside the answer to your question I do not say this is the way just my way for myself:) I wish u luck
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I power walk at 6 am. I get up 5 am and down 2 cups of coffee and 8oz of ice water. I average 4.5 miles daily. I have tried to eat prior to walking but I feel heavy and weighted down. I also take 20oz of ice water and drink it on my last 1/2 mile. When I get home I eat within an hour. I too started off slowly with walking and my metabolism was painfully slow. What has worked for me is eating well, eating breakfast, I add hot spices and jalapenos to most my food and I walk every single day. Weather permitting I walk outside (which I prefer) but I started indoors with Leslie Sansone Walk at Home videos on youtube. I could barely walk through a grocery store 17 weeks ago and now I am up at dawn welcoming my day with a strong power walk. I would recommend you start slow and build gradually. I wear a pedometer to track my steps and it keeps me moving. I set weekly goals for myself. Get a good pair of shoes and start walking. GL
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I like to eat about an hour before working out. If I don't eat before working out I start to black out fairly early into a work out lol. If I eat RIGHT before working out I get cramps. So an hour before is my golden rule
  • andreamaym
    andreamaym Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I get up and work out at 5am most days, get ready for work, grab my morning treat (Tim Horton's coffee) and eat breakfast at my desk at 9 am. I don't really have time to eat before I work out, and so far it works for me! I have seen some people mention drinking a protein shake during their workout, which is something I may try as my workouts become more intense :)
  • TomJClements
    Options
    Your metabolism is how much you can burn the food you are consuming with out lifting your finger to play video games or just sitting on the couch:) To increase your metabolism a way that i have known to is by running for 30 seconds as if your LIFE depended upon it and slow down to a walking pace-do this as long as you can or about 9-10 times and i promise that your metabolism will torch some series eating:) this is just my way. I also drink green tea. Anything with caffeine will boost it but green tea by far is the healthiest way b/c of the antioxidants. also Braggs apple cider vinegar with the mother-2 tsp-2 tbsp. a day will as well! it has to be every day or you will offset the pattern:) Others may have other ways but this is the 2 prominent ways for me.

Right ok - thanks for that info! Although - I am currently on a caffeine detox as up until a week and a half ago when I was in such a bad state my resolutions were either rapid lifestyle change or death, Id been drinking 14 cups of coffee and 5 cans of Monster Ripper energy drink every day for over 3 years - Im currently on 0 energy drinks and 1-2 cups of decaff a day - probably for the next couple of months until I can incorporate 1-2 cups of a low caffeine drink.
  • TomJClements
    Options
    Best metabolism booster:

weightlifting
    moderate deficit

Cool okay - well 1300 is what Iv been having WITHOUT exercising at all, and because Im trying to lose weight fast.

I do want to get into weight training - but my main priority is just to lose the weight first. Is it not easier to lose fat down to a normal size and THEN do muscle building rather than trying to do both?