Thyroid??

Options
Hi! I'm struggling with my weightloss and I've heard some people talking about thyroid issues being the case. What type of tests do you go through to get it tested? Is it like a blood test? What is a thyroid? I know these are stupid questions but I just wanna learn more about it and the impact it has on my health. Symptoms of the problem would be helpful too.

Replies

• MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but my mom's side of the family has it. I get tested every 6 months. You get a blood test after a 12 hour water only fast.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    TSH, FT3, FT4 tests.

Edit: These are just blood tests. I used to have Graves' Disease and get these done about once a year or whenever I'm paranoid.
  • katesnewbody
    katesnewbody Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    before running to the "thyroid" issue, what sort of issues are you having? Lots of people think they have a thyroid condition, when really they just didn't chart calories as religiously as they believed. Can you describe your weight loss issues?
  • steephx0x
    steephx0x Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    before running to the "thyroid" issue, what sort of issues are you having? Lots of people think they have a thyroid condition, when really they just didn't chart calories as religiously as they believed. Can you describe your weight loss issues?

I couldn't lose weight, I gained weight, I lost 20 pounds in a little under 4 months, irregular periods, anxiety, sleep issues, & joint pain. My neck has also been bothering me a bit. Now I'm stuck at a plateau.
  • chunt87
    chunt87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My thyroid is whacked out of its damn mind. So is my mother's. I gain and lose throughout the day with no rhyme or reason. I suggest you talk to a doctor, they will examine you and you can request that they test for it. You should tell them about anything that has been a little unnormal.

You should also invest in a food scale mine is really helpful because not all 1 cup servings are actually 1 cup servings and so on.

Good luck
  • BuoyantSoul
    BuoyantSoul Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The people on here are not doctors. Nobody here can tell you what's wrong with you.

But... it seems like your health might be negatively affected by starving yourself the way you are. If you do have something really wrong with you, your diet is definitely not making things any better and it may also be creating health issues. As I mentioned in another post to you, starvation will lead to major health issues, and even organ damage/failure, irreversible severe brain damage, and death. This is the true cost of your diet. I don't know how to make it more brutally clear to you that you need medical help and soon. The way you are eating is very literally killing you.

People here can support you in your recovery, as many people have been in your shoes and are working toward their health, but you need to take immediate and drastic action to save yourself. Please, please do it. Care for yourself. Losing weight should not be your priority at this point, being healthy should be.

That goes for mind as well as body.
  • steephx0x
    Options
    The people on here are not doctors. Nobody here can tell you what's wrong with you.

But... it seems like your health might be negatively affected by starving yourself the way you are. If you do have something really wrong with you, your diet is definitely not making things any better and it may also be creating health issues. As I mentioned in another post to you, starvation will lead to major health issues, and even organ damage/failure, irreversible severe brain damage, and death. This is the true cost of your diet. I don't know how to make it more brutally clear to you that you need medical help and soon. The way you are eating is very literally killing you.

People here can support you in your recovery, as many people have been in your shoes and are working toward their health, but you need to take immediate and drastic action to save yourself. Please, please do it. Care for yourself. Losing weight should not be your priority at this point, being healthy should be.

That goes for mind as well as body.

I'm not starving myself? I ate over 1000 calories today. I feel so full like I'm about to puke.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I'm not starving myself? I ate over 1000 calories today. I feel so full like I'm about to puke.
    According to your ticker, you have 11 lbs. to go. The closer you are to goal, the more slowly you lose. That's just how the human body works. Set your goal to .5 lb. per week—which is way more than 1,000 calories per day—and be patient. The smaller deficit will also help you transition to maintenance.

Please, see a doctor. And read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Thyroid disease is diagnosed by blood tests. MFP has a Hypothyroidism & Hyperthyroidism group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • Lizzie7800
    Lizzie7800 Posts: 9
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism, I am still able to lose weight as long as I eat right. (Am on meds). It doesn't hurt to get tested, but if it turns out to be okay remember what others have already said. Getting closer to goal things can go slower.
  • steephx0x
    Options
    According to your ticker, you have 11 lbs. to go. The closer you are to goal, the more slowly you lose. That's just how the human body works. Set your goal to .5 lb. per week—which is way more than 1,000 calories per day—and be patient. The smaller deficit will also help you transition to maintenance.

Please, see a doctor. And read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Thyroid disease is diagnosed by blood tests. MFP has a Hypothyroidism & Hyperthyroidism group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

MFP wants me eating 1450 a day.. I just can't do it. I get full easily and don't have much of am appetite to begin with, and, I'm picky.
  • jbaker1663
    jbaker1663 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've had thyroid disease for over 25 years. The symptoms include chronic fatigue, weight gain, always feeling cold, dry skin/hair/nails, irregular periods, unexplained depression. Not everyone has all the symptoms and many, many other illnesses have similar symptoms. The stresses of everyday life can cause many of these symptoms. It's very easy to diagnose thyroid disorder with a simple blood test, but impossible to diagnose on the internet. If you have any suspicion that you are sick, with this or anything else, see a doctor. There is nothing on the internet that is a substitute for that :) Looking at your diary, I would say you should eat more fruits and veggies. It's hard to get all the nutrients you need if you don't. You didn't log your water, but drinking lots of water is vital to weight loss. Both the fiber from the fruits and vegetable and the water will help you on your weight loss journey. Good luck :smile:
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    It's not your thyroid ... it's your eating habits. You keep starting threads, people find out what you're doing to your body and give you advice, then you run and start another thread ... apparently in the hope that people will overlook your dangerously low intake and give you the answer you want to hear while you keep ignoring the ones you need to hear.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I've had thyroid disease for over 25 years. The symptoms include chronic fatigue, weight gain, always feeling cold, dry skin/hair/nails, irregular periods, unexplained depression. Not everyone has all the symptoms and many, many other illnesses have similar symptoms. The stresses of everyday life can cause many of these symptoms. It's very easy to diagnose thyroid disorder with a simple blood test, but impossible to diagnose on the internet. If you have any suspicion that you are sick, with this or anything else, see a doctor. There is nothing on the internet that is a substitute for that :) Looking at your diary, I would say you should eat more fruits and veggies. It's hard to get all the nutrients you need if you don't. You didn't log your water, but drinking lots of water is vital to weight loss. Both the fiber from the fruits and vegetable and the water will help you on your weight loss journey. Good luck :smile:

This is not descriptive of all thyroid disease. Hypothyroidism, yes. Graves', no.

OP: You should absolutely go get a blood test from your doctor. Take your food diary too, though, and have a talk about that. If you are having problems *eating* your calories, there are calorie dense shakes they can advice you on, as well as finding out WHY you're having such a hard time eating.