Exercising before or after food?

Options
2»

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Hi, Im new here, also fairly new to dieting/exercise and havent done any at all for the past 5 years. Iv only started in the past 2 weeks, and on here since Monday.

Im not employed at the moment, but to get out of the house frequently Im planning doing 30 mins of light cardio powerwalking 3 times a day (all I can manage atm as Im still smoking).

BUT.... should i exercise before or after having food? Like in the morning should I go out early and then have breakfast or vice versa??

Thanks.

Personal preference, I do not believe there is a "correct" and an "incorrect" way of exercising relative to meal times.

Personally if I exercise right after food I find I get to taste it again which I do not enjoy so generally I exercise a couple hours after eating.
  • babsabs2011
    babsabs2011 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If I'm exercising in the morning I like to eat something light (usually a banana) and then I'll have the rest of my breakfast afterwards. If I eat too much, I feel awful when I exercise, but if I don't eat at all, I get really hungry and light headed. Just figure out what works best for you!
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Best metabolism booster:

weightlifting
    Good amount of protein (typically 1g per pound of lean body mass )
    moderate deficit

there are no special foods. Retaining your muscle will be vital for keeping your metabolism at a decent speed. And resistance training will be your best bet.

1300 seems low for a guy. I lost most of my weight at 1650 net and I'm 5'3.5" and female, for perspective. Have to fuel yourself.

As far as endurance. You build it over time. Never give up. I started at 170 lbs, couldn't do a real push up, my only exercise was dancing in my living room for cardio and weightlifting. You'll get there. Patience and perseverance. If you get a chance, this link was the single most helpful information I found in the forums

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Cool okay - well 1300 is what Iv been having WITHOUT exercising at all, and because Im trying to lose weight fast.

I do want to get into weight training - but my main priority is just to lose the weight first. Is it not easier to lose fat down to a normal size and THEN do muscle building rather than trying to do both?

No, muscle building is a lengthy process. It is much easier to go at a moderate pace and retain your current muscle than it would be trying to build back up later. As in a deficit, you won't be building muscle but retaining. Plus, you will look leaner doing it this way, than racing. Another thing to think about is the possibility of long term damage to your metabolism by doing so.

I do not recommend racing. You only have 33 lbs to lose. I would aim for about 1 lb a week loss and slowly lose as you build up your fitness level. Trust me, you'll like the way you look a lot more than doing it fast.
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    1300 is too low. And fast is too fast. Sorry.

Here are two very helpful posts by MFP moderators. Please make sure you read both and then read the Sexpants one again.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Yea it is never healthy to lose more than 1 -2 pounds a week. It will reek havoc on your body. Slower is far better because you will render the weight loss permanently! I do bet you will be quitting smoking soon? It defeats the purpose :) I know the feeling though as I used to smoke heavy for 4 -6 years(chain smoker) I quit cold turkey and i thank Jesus Lord of all giving me the strength & determination to get healthier and disciplined again! Its been 7 years and never ever looking back. If you take time to focus and not think on anything but being healthy then you can do it:)Just don be so frustrated with yourself when you do go through it…what is meant to be will always find a way~Trisha Yearwood