Setting the stage for successful social eating

Options
Ideally, I would never have to work from the outside in and no 'tip' or 'trick' would be needed. I would just make amazing choices, listen to my body (i.e.: eat when I’m hungry and stop when I’m full), but in social situations this common sense stuff can frequently fly out the window. In order to set myself up for success, I do a few things:

- Spoil my appetite: I never enter a social situation hungry. I do not save calories for these events. I eat before I go and arrive to the event full. This way I can make rational decisions about what to taste/sample. Even if I plan on eating a full meal at a restaurant, I STILL spoil my appetite. Arriving full saves me hundreds (if not thousands) of calories. Office luncheon? Appetite spoiled. Pre-dinner bread basket? Nice try...I'll pass. Girls night dinner at the Melting Pot? I arrive full and make sane choices about what to sample and when I’ve had enough.

- I wear clothing that does not allow room for a huge meal/over eating: The belt-over-everything trend has been my friend. I always wear a fitted belt around my waist over button downs, sweaters, cardigans, whatever. Wear those skinny jeans. Wear that fitted dress. Put on that corsette (it’s called a ‘torsette’ now, but whatever). No matter what fitted outfit/garment I’m wearing it's my goal to make it fit comfortably ALL. NIGHT. It's really hard to stuff myself full of food when my outfit does not allow for much expansion of the belly. There's a reason people undo their pants after a big meal. I won't be that girl.

I also skip the bread basket. Start with a cup of broth based soup to fill me up. Half of my entree goes in a 'to go' container as soon as it arrives at the table. If dessert is ordered, I have a bite or two. I also keep the black, decaf coffee coming.

These tactics have worked for me for the past year :)

Charmagne

Replies

• OGFleabag
    OGFleabag Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    good advice, thank you! will be trying these on my next unavoidable outing!
  • Rjperron
    Rjperron Posts: 150
    Options
    You're the best for sensible advice that doesn't ruin anyone's good time!
  • elloradannon
    Options
    THanks for the tips! I actually passed up cake at a retirement party yesterday. The thing that got me through it was knowing there was an apple waiting for me in my classroom to eat on my way home :-) I like the tight clothing idea though because it is really uncomfortable to have your stomach hanging over your pants all night
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    LOVE this! I have a work related Christmas party this Saturdau and I've seen the dishes people are bringing... and was scared. I never thought about eating my own food BEFORE and just taste-testing while I'm there. Thank you for the idea!
  • kookla33
    kookla33 Posts: 234
    Options
    This is good. I am going to use these tips because social eating is where I always get nailed on my calories!