help ! I'm getting so discouraged

Options
i've been walking on my treadmill and watching what I eat since New Year's day and I haven't lost anything. I'm about ready to just give up. I lost 7 pounds once about 5 months ago and I gained it back and then some. I'm 44 and it seems like taking off 1 pound is going to take a while.

Replies

• fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    You're just getting started. I promise teh weight will come off! Are you gettign enough net calories. If not your body may be storeing what you do eat. How oftern are you weighing youself? Your ewight can fluctuate almost 5lbs in one day based on water retention and food. If it's your tiem of teh month you may be retainig water...I never weight myself at this time. I know you can do it do giv eup now :)
  • wildcard29
    wildcard29 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I lose inches before I ever see the weight come off. Try measuring your arms, legs, thighs, etc and then remeasure once every two weeks.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    If you don't give up you have nothing to lose.

This is your "NEW" life. You have the rest of it to change your body.

Hang in there, keep doing what you're doing. Keep looking for ways to improve your calorie intake (with good foods, not processed) and drink LOTS of water. And keep working out.

You can't go wrong.
  • marciml
    marciml Posts: 41
    Options
    Keep going!! You know you can and you know you deserve this! The weight will come off and surprise you when it does. Be sure to weight at the same time of day, when you weigh. Watch the sodium!! Keep your chin up and your legs moving! You can do thi!!
  • marisol7649
    marisol7649 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    throw the scale away. Take a picture and measure yourself. It seem you lose more inches then weight. I lost about 15 and I lost more inches and I look better, sometimes I weight myself and it says I gained 6lbs and still look the same.
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged so quickly. It takes time. The body is a complex machine. It is so easy to want things to happen immediately in this day and age of instant gratification. Be in this for the long haul and you will experience the ups an downs of the process knowing that there are supposed to be ups and downs! Weight loss, healthy living, lifestyle change is a marathon, not a race. You will need to try a variety of different strategies throughout your journey and the past 7 days is just the beginning! Stick with it. Stick with MFP and gain the mindset of a marathoner! (I am one so I can say that:flowerforyou: )
    Risa
  • RainyDayProphet
    Options
    I'm curious, how long/far you're walking and at what speed?

Also, how tall are you? How much sodium are you getting? How much water are you drinking?
  • brafordrm
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. It will take time to get the metabolism increase that you desire, but don't quit. Every day that you push through is another day closer to your goal. I'd also recommend doing some research on the right kind of foods to be eating that help your body metabolize and burn fat. There are a lot of misleading labels and ads out there.

Also, drink lots and lots of water.

Hope this helps.
  • JRIV60
    JRIV60 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I have been a little discouraged as well as I have been eating healthier and exercising for almost 2 weeks now and no weight has come off HOWEVER this morning I put on a skirt that I was not able to wear last month so that means I have lost in inches.
    Maybe you are like me. Do not give up we are just getting started on this journey and it's not a fast one. :flowerforyou:
  • karau
    karau Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi
    when you walk the treadmill try walking to the point just before running and try to stay of for 30 minutes without holding onto the siderails. Also watch your nutririon - here are some good foods to eat that will help you burn fat.
    Quina, millet, brown rice, frest fruit and vege., avacados, raw nuts, whole eggs and egg whites, lean steak and lean chicken. Good luck and visit my site on my profile page and check out shakeology - I use it once a day for a meal replacement! :)
  • workoutchick
    workoutchick Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 foot tall. ( weigh 144 ) I walk on my treadmill at little over 3 mph. I drink aleast 5 -8 ounces of water a day. I have to watch my sodium because I have high blood pressure.
  • shannontrevino
    shannontrevino Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Weight training w/cardio and eating right has worked for me. I am 40 and female. I had the same problem until I got a personal trainer. He says that diet is key. I've been eating a very natural high protein diet. Plenty of grilled, steamed or baked fish, chicken and lean beef, whole grains, lots of veggies, some fruit, skim milk and low fat dairy products. Stay away from processed foods and refined sugar.

I weight train 4 days a week and I do cardio 5-6 days a week...just 1 hr a day on the treadmill, elliptical or jump rope (or combined to get the hour). I've lost 55 lbs...but have added muscle which weighs more than fat and burns more calories. The more muscle you put on the more fat and calories you'll burn. Even though 55 lbs doesn't sound like a lot....I am trimmer and more firm than I've ever been.

I hope this helps you a little. You can do it.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    So it's been only 6 days and you're ready to give up. I've been gaining and losing the same 3 pounds since the beginning of November. But you know what? I eat better. I exercise which I didn't do at all before November 2010 and I have a desk job too. My clothes are looser. My butt is higher.

Your body has to adjust to the changes. Give yourself more time.
  • sarjac1
    Options
    DON'T GIVE UP YOU CAN DO THIS!!! I know it gets frustrating not seeing results, that is what has always made me "quit"! I made a promise to myself that this is my year, you can borrow that promise! We can do this!!!! Small steps works wonders! I am wanting to go on a trip to Florida with a group of friends in September and I am going to be at least 50lbs smaller by then, that is a big motivator! Find something that you really really want and reward yourself! DON'T GIVE UP! We're all here for you! Keep the faith!
  • meanness67
    meanness67 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I think it's time to read all the information for newbies. You are getting discouraged far too quickly. Check the message boards and look for the posts for newbies. It should help answer a lot of questions and help you see that it will take time. Did you put the weight on in 6 days? No? Well, it won't come off that quickly either. This is a great site for support and to track your calories and goals. Don't give up.
  • peggybrant
    peggybrant Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Seven days for me also with no weight loss but I was told today that our muscles might be holding extra water right now cuz we just got back to using them. I was advised to give it a couple more weeks.