Is anyone else working on losing for medical reasons?

Options
I'm trying to avoid losing the rest of my large intestine.... every time I get above 160, too much stress is on it and the doctor discusses surgery again. Do not want... Anyone else in the same boat? For me it isn't about looking good, it's about not crapping in a bag at the age of 20.

Replies

• htg20
    htg20 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I would say yes because while my weight may not be impacting my health immediately (I think it is though), I am a nurse and I see what it does to you and I see what life is like as an elderly obese patient. No thanks. Kudos to you for taking action now!
  • NotJustADieter
    NotJustADieter Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I mean... I kind of have to take action now. I've lost 2ft already and losing the rest scares me beyond anything. Props to you though for looking ahead! Not many have the foresight. I'm actually going into nursing as well, though nurse midwifery.
  • swinnie239
    swinnie239 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Well, partly. I mean, I want to do it for appearances sake as well, kinda shallow like that, but there is a health aspect to it for me too. I also started before the absolute cause was known, but there were general problems that I needed to face.

It's not as extreme as yours, but after years of doctors being confused and unsure why, I finally got a PCOS diagnosis. That put me on a new diet and to exercise more.

Due to that, I have had extreme hypertension for the last decade. Without medication, I averaged around 185/120 (which was enough to put me in hypertensive crisis and in the hospital many times). With medication, I still averaged around 150/100, which while not crisis is very high. The crisis one put heart attack, stroke and kidney failure as real possibilities on a daily basis.

I also had crazy insulin levels that bounced around, and other smaller side effects.

Still working through it.

EDIT: Also possibly a culprit in my extreme case of gallstones that caused extreme pain, six trips to the emergency room and fainting from the pain a couple times. This all necessitated a gallbladder removal.
    I am 26.
  • kristinemaravilla
    Options
    Yeah I do. I'm about 40 pounds overweight and I have PCOS. My GP is very concerned and he said that I can easily get diabetes. He initially proposed to put me on heart-slowing medications and metformin, but I bargained with him. I don't like taking pills (not even vitamins), so I told him I will fix my diet and get my weight down. He gave me two months to lose at least 10% of my body weight and get my heart rate, blood sugar, and cholesterol down.
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Well while my weight doesn't affect my health at this point the low fitness level makes my epilepsy easier to provoke. I happen to be losing weight for appearance but also because of the fitness taken to do so healthily.
  • golfmonk
    golfmonk Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Sort of....

I am losing weight to try to take some pressure off a bad leg/knee. A nice bonus is that I am now off blood pressure medicine and am now pretty much prescription free.
  • tea822
    tea822 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    same here :smile:
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I started thinking I was getting heart burn because of gaining weight. Turns out it was just my gallbladder.