Sudden High Heart Rate during cardio

Hopefully someone out there has had this happen to them and can shed some light on this situation.

Sometimes while I am doing constant cardio, such as an elliptical, my heart rate will go from it's usual 140 to an alarming 210 or so. It is always when I slow down to get a drink or to fiddle with my music it seems. I can feel it happening, I get flushed sort of. Then it slowly drops back down to its normal work load. I don't feel ill, faint, out of breath or anything, just flushed. I am able to continue pedaling without a problem.

Has anyone had any experience with this? I am not sure if I should see a doctor, since it doesn't really bother me. I had a heart murmur as a child, I don't know if that has something to do with it. Or if maybe I am holding my breath while I drink or fiddle around?

Btw, I know it goes up that high because of the heart rate monitor. I guess it could happen at other times, but I don't wear a hrm every day all day.

Anyone have this happen?

Replies

• albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    There are several reasons this could happen during exercise. If you've ruled-out faulty equipment, then I'd personally recommend you ask your family physician for a referral for a cardiac stress test.

As a fellow-Canadian I can assure you they're readily available, and free under our universal health care. It's not like waiting months in some provinces for an MRI . . .

FYI, although some of the reasons this could happen are benign - not all of them are. As I don't know your medical Hx, I'd certainly err on the side of caution.
  • Yeah, I figured that would be the response. Given that I don't have a family doctor (access to medical care is pretty awful in Ontario) I was hoping someone else might have the same problem occasionally and that it might just be a normal thing. I just know if I go to a clinic whatever dead beat doctor I get to see won't give a darn and the uphill battle will begin there. Oh well, off to the clinic I go...
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Make sure to tell them how you feel when it happens - it's important to note the symptoms, whatever they be, when asking for a referral. Especially if light-headed, dizzy, nauseous, feeling 'flutter' in your chest, whatever it is.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Well if you feel flushed than it is probably not the heart rate monitor that is faulty. Frankly, I would not continue exercising without having this checked out. I understand that apparently the situation re family doctors is not the best in Ontario, but perhaps you can go directly to the hospital?
    Best of luck
    Stef.
  • chiefstu
    chiefstu Posts: 2 Member
    First change the battery in the HR monitor and perhaps the chest strap. Either being bad can generate artifact and bad counts. If so, other symptoms could be a coincidence based on hydration, heat, calorie deficit etc.

But then there are several metabolic and cardiac issues to cause HR spikes. Just one, that I have although I am older than you, is "Exercise Induced Arterial Fibrillation" - where just the two upper chambers, the atria, flutter, not pump. Then the HR monitor can't really count what is going on and sees a higher heart rat and also the ventricles speed up to compensate for the poor upper chamber effort.. But it IS a dysfunctional HR and has to be stopped. It can be treated. While its being seen more in older, baby boomers whom have done cardio for decades (me) its also not unknown in student athletes and people in their twenties.

So again, IF it starts, or occurs even at rest. SEE YOUR DOCTOR. IF IF it is A-fib, there are medicines to treat it. You CAN still do cardio within broad limits. The causes of Exercise Induced Arterial Fibrillation are not yet well understood as its different from A-Fib in older aging hearts.

I still do plenty of running and mountain biking at 90%of Max HR. I am in great shape, due to a drug, diet and staying away from 100% effort for long periods of time. I ALWAYS work out with a quality pulse monitor watch, and chest strap monitor.

SEE YOUR DOCTOR, Google can't answer this. You may be given a 24-hr recording EKG to wear at home to see what happens in exercise and sleeping.

Good luck, glad you asked the question.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Stop exercising and get an appointment with a dr. Better safe than sorry.
  • wgrande13
    wgrande13 Posts: 1
    Hi, I had that happen to me in the past so I had a nuclear stress test done and it happened while doing the treadmill portion of the test, it turned out I had small runs of Atrial Fibrillation. I just take an aspirin a day and I do fine. It was very scary though, but I've learned to live with it. Please so and get checked out, you take great care of your body by exercising, remember to take great care of your heart too :)
  • hi, i have the same problem, doing cardio and then sudden stop increases my heart rate and make me feel that flush on the face.
    did you resolved your problem?
  • Gina0887
    Gina0887 Posts: 1
    Next time it happens, try counting your heart rate manually for 15 seconds (multiply by 14 = your pulse) or all 60 seconds if you can. It can be a few things. This happens to me as well, but I have an overly excited sympathetic nervous system. It's hard to run or really get into a good workout because a rate that high can be dangerous, but I'm 26 and am fighting being put on a low dose Beta Blocker. Your heart can not fill completely going that fast. Definitely get it checked out. They will prob do a stress test and possibly a tilt table if it is the same issue I have (vasovegal).

Cardiac Registered Nurse