"Bad" food substittions

Options
natstar26
natstar26 Posts: 130 Member
Though id see what food substitutes that are healthier and actually taste good, I haven't found many yet. I think spaghetti squash is nasty lol so don't suggest that haha

Replies

• sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    What exactly do you consider "bad" food?
  • natstar26
    Options
    What exactly do you consider "bad" food?
    Not what I acutally consider bad foods but just getting a feel for what people think. oh pasta is bad bread is bad blah blah I eat that stuff I was just interested to see what people think. Pretty much healthy alternatives to sugar packed treats ect ect ect ect....
  • Mgypsygirl
    Mgypsygirl Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I got this idea from doctor Oz and I thought it was really tasty. I sauté broccoli slaw with onions and garlic and substitute for pasta, just be sure to sauté until really tender or the crunch will ruin the pasta like texture. It is really good and you can eat quite a bit. Good luck!
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Well the only foods i recognize as "bad" are the ones that will cause me to go into anaphylactic shock. Unless you have a medical condition there is no reason to replace or cut out certain foods from your diet.

If you enjoy eating bread, pasta, and "sugar packed treats" then do so. Moderation is the key.
  • Mgypsygirl
    Mgypsygirl Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My "bad food" is 2 oz of dark chocolate dipped into low salt low sugar peanut butter, about a teaspoon of peanut butter. I consider this a substitute for reces pieces.
  • natstar26
    Options
    Well the only foods i recognize as "bad" are the ones that will cause me to go into anaphylactic shock. Unless you have a medical condition there is no reason to replace or cut out certain foods from your diet.

If you enjoy eating bread, pasta, and "sugar packed treats" then do so. Moderation is the key.
    yep I watch everything I eat or I gain id gain weight like crazy haha just love too see what other people eat...
  • natstar26
    Options
    My "bad food" is 2 oz of dark chocolate dipped into low salt low sugar peanut butter, about a teaspoon of peanut butter. I consider this a substitute for reces pieces.
    that's what im talking about lol yum!
  • marvybells
    Options

yep I watch everything I eat or I gain id gain weight like crazy haha just love too see what other people eat...

it is the amount of calories you consume that will cause you to gain weight, not the types of foods that you are consuming.

I am counting calories and i make sure i stay at or under my daily goal. I eat all sorts of delicious foods such as the ones you named previously and have been maintaining my weight for months (not currently looking to lose weight, just trying to maintain where i am). If i really want some pasta or bread or a treat like ice cream or brownies one day, then i find a way to fit it into my calorie goal for the day. Yes, there are times that i will make substitutions for some things, and I don't see anything wrong with that...

but i think it is important to understand that there are no "bad" foods when it comes to weight loss. It all comes down to counting calories.
  • justanotherloser007
    justanotherloser007 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Egg, tuna or chicken salad (for sandwiches) I use no yolk boiled eggs, no skin chicken, and only 1 tbsp of light mayo. To give it a kick I add wickles sub and hoagie relish. The calories are low, and it is yummy!

You know how chicken breast can be really dry? I like to add Cajun Power's Mamaw's gravy. Only takes a tbsp, depending on how much chicken - not a lot of calories to fix the dry breast problem. Yummy!

I also love this yogurt tziki (sp) and I eat it with carrots instead of chips - so I get the crunch and dip, without 100 calories per oz with pita chips or whatever calorie regular potato chips are. Favorite treat <3

Also, for absolutely no reason whatsoever that I can think of, sometimes I cut down on soda and drink peppermint tea. So addictive! I know this list doesn't seem like it, but I like sweet things too - I just can't think of any at the moment. Most of the time when I want something sweet I just grab blackberries, or apples, or mangos so that I get vitamins with the yummies.

So, anyone figured out the low calorie diet with the alcohol? Or even calorie count with the alcohol? I hate to teetotal, but it isn't like I ever see calories on the labels! P.S. I hate beer *plech* :drinker:
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    it is the amount of calories you consume that will cause you to gain weight, not the types of foods that you are consuming.

I am counting calories and i make sure i stay at or under my daily goal. I eat all sorts of delicious foods such as the ones you named previously and have been maintaining my weight for months (not currently looking to lose weight, just trying to maintain where i am). If i really want some pasta or bread or a treat like ice cream or brownies one day, then i find a way to fit it into my calorie goal for the day. Yes, there are times that i will make substitutions for some things, and I don't see anything wrong with that...

but i think it is important to understand that there are no "bad" foods when it comes to weight loss. It all comes down to counting calories.

A lethal dose of Hemlock contains approximately 28 calories...

I would call those "bad" calories.

Disagree?
  • marvybells
    Options

A lethal dose of Hemlock contains approximately 28 calories...

I would call those "bad" calories.

Disagree?

um, i don't consider poisonous plants to be food.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Though id see what food substitutes that are healthier and actually taste good, I haven't found many yet. I think spaghetti squash is nasty lol so don't suggest that haha

Oh really....I haven't tried it (yet) but was seriously thinking about buying some this weekend to try it out (in other forums people rave about it)!
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Substituting mayonnaise with Greek yogurt. Yuck. I can do sour cream for Greek yogurt maybe, but it's still a stretch and isn't that great.

* I don't think the OP means 'bad foods' as in labeling certain foods as bad. I think it's meant as just bad tasting substitutions. Like cauliflower pizza or cauliflower rice (which I didn't think were all that bad tasting.)
  • marvybells
    Options
    Substituting mayonnaise with Greek yogurt. Yuck. I can do sour cream for Greek yogurt maybe, but it's still a stretch and isn't that great.

* I don't think the OP means 'bad foods' as in labeling certain foods as bad. I think it's meant as just bad tasting substitutions. Like cauliflower pizza or cauliflower rice (which I didn't think were all that bad tasting.)

well perhaps i misunderstood but her post is asking for food substitutions that "are healthier and actually taste good". Then she mentions the spaghetti squash & says not to recommend that because she already tried it & doesn't like it.

and when asked what constitutes a "bad" food she said foods such as pasta, bread or sugary treats. that is why i took this to be her labeling the foods that are to be replaced as the "bad" foods.

but i'm with you on the greek yogurt thing.It is maybe passable as sour cream, but mayonnaise? never!
  • Tisiwa
    Tisiwa Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Real Butter is Better than a sub and its better for you.
  • justanotherloser007
    justanotherloser007 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    For cake: substitute 2 bite cupcakes.

For real butter: substitute real butter "spray" to help with portion control. I use Smart balance to make sure I get some omegas.

For cheese: I substitute fat free shredded cheddar cheese. I can tolerate this well, and when I put on a sandwich or other things it has half the calories AND I end up using less.

Watch labels, they can sometimes be really deceptive. Ex: My hubby is diabetic and bought low sugar oatmeal, only to come home and compare it to my weight control oatmeal and mine had less sugar.

Sometimes even labels lie. Ex: Ideal says NO CALORIES. This is completely untrue! This drives me crazy since it is for baking. Sure it is less calories than sugar, but it isn't no calorie. Here is the breakdown: Ideal has 202 calories per cup versus over 770 calories per cup. Yes, I still use it in my tea, but now I use 1/4 cup per gallon instead of 1 cup per gallon.

I try to keep my substitutions as close to the original as I can since I plan to be watching my weight the rest of my life.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,249 Member
    Options
    I don't substitute. I have the real things just in smaller portions. Then again, I don't label foods as "good" and "bad". That is an unhealthy mind set in my opinion.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Bad food substitute would be pretending cauliflower is anything but cauliflower... other than that there are no bad foods.
  • TexasGal1
    TexasGal1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    So, anyone figured out the low calorie diet with the alcohol? Or even calorie count with the alcohol? I hate to teetotal, but it isn't like I ever see calories on the labels! P.S. I hate beer *plech* :drinker:

That nifty little scanner on the MFP app does wonders on finding out those pesky cal counts on beer, wine, vodka, whiskey, etc.

Cheers! :drinker:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Bad food substitute would be pretending cauliflower is anything but cauliflower... other than that there are no bad foods.

:flowerforyou: