Herbalife and Fat Loss

Options
I had my self evaluated by my gym's nutritionist and found out that I have a 25% BF and 14 years older than my body age.

The nutritionist then recommended me to have an intake of a total of 1900 calories having a 4 meals per day diet plan. On the morning is a Herbalife Shake with Banana and Oats. On lunch is a cup of rice and 440 grams of chicken breast or fish. On snacks is a Herbalife Shake again and on dinner is the same on lunch. I have to follow this diet plan everyday. She also recommended me to go to the gym frequently and jog more often.

Is this a good diet plan? What do you think? Or I would just do well even without Herbalife?

Replies

• bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    There's nothing magical about Herbalife that will cause you to lose weight. You lose weight by being in a calorie deficit. You can create the same calorie deficit by eating regular food.

I always recommend that people find a way of eating and exercising that they feel they can maintain for the rest of their lives. Sometimes that takes a little while - you may have to go through a process or some trial and error to find the right balance for you. If you enjoy your diet now and have no problem sticking to it, then it might work for you. How do you plan on eating once you reach your goal weight? If you picture yourself eating things that you're not eating now, or you see yourself eating a diet that is drastically different from the one you currently eat, then you might want to reconsider your plan. :smile:
  • pjarellano
    pjarellano Posts: 18
    Options
    Just do your own homework. Some diet aides can actually back fire. Some of them swell in your stomach to make you feel full. But if this is over done it could cause your stomach to swell. Just like a balloon your stomach will stretch accordingly. Any time you can use real food you will be money ahead. And probably better off to keep weight off. Just go online and look for natural filling foods. There are a lot to choose from.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I had my self evaluated by my gym's nutritionist and found out that I have a 25% BF and 14 years older than my body age.

The nutritionist then recommended me to have an intake of a total of 1900 calories having a 4 meals per day diet plan. On the morning is a Herbalife Shake with Banana and Oats. On lunch is a cup of rice and 440 grams of chicken breast or fish. On snacks is a Herbalife Shake again and on dinner is the same on lunch. I have to follow this diet plan everyday. She also recommended me to go to the gym frequently and jog more often.

Is this a good diet plan? What do you think? Or I would just do well even without Herbalife?

Nothing in this post makes sense.
  • agebron
    agebron Posts: 3
    Options
    There's nothing magical about Herbalife that will cause you to lose weight. You lose weight by being in a calorie deficit. You can create the same calorie deficit by eating regular food.

I always recommend that people find a way of eating and exercising that they feel they can maintain for the rest of their lives. Sometimes that takes a little while - you may have to go through a process or some trial and error to find the right balance for you. If you enjoy your diet now and have no problem sticking to it, then it might work for you. How do you plan on eating once you reach your goal weight? If you picture yourself eating things that you're not eating now, or you see yourself eating a diet that is drastically different from the one you currently eat, then you might want to reconsider your plan. :smile:

Your tip about how I should on eating once I reach my goal weight is a good one. Maybe Ill just try this diet for a month and see if I loose any body fat. And maybe Ill slowly change my diet to something more realistic and adjust to eat. :)
  • agebron
    agebron Posts: 3
    Options

I was just asking whether the diet plan that was given to me was good. It was aided with herbalife so I was asking the community if it would work well.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Did the "nutritionist" sell you the Herbalife crap? If so, find a real nutritionist who isn't a MLM scammer. But really, it isn't that difficult unless you have wonky food restrictions due to health/superstition.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

I was just asking whether the diet plan that was given to me was good. It was aided with herbalife so I was asking the community if it would work well.

Herbalife will neither hurt nor hinder progress you would otherwise make with a calorie deficit, cardio, and weights. It's just a matter of what do you like to spend your hard earned money on.
  • punkuate
    punkuate Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've tried the shakes thing before. It works but I was miserable and as soon as you stop it goes back on easily. Probably better to use your calories on food you like and will make you feel good. Also Herbalife is expensive.

Good luck.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    You don't need to waste your money with Herbalife. You can make your own shakes with a good protein powder, oats and bananas. Another poster said there is no magic to Herbalife. This is so true. Is your nutritionist selling Herbalife? Sounds like it.
  • nbkp2ge
    nbkp2ge Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Please note Herbalife has a lot of sugar in it.
  • marshallexi
    marshallexi Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Herbalife shakes are also about 35% sugar, that can't be great for you. You could probably make the same kind of shake yourself using natural ingredients - I bet it would be more filling too!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    And now sugarfearmongering. My bingo card is filling up rather quickly today.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I don't know your weight, height, ect..I do 1300-1600 calories most days to lose weight with exercise 4-5 days a week. That works for me if I watch my macros. I also use herbalife products.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Herbalife shakes are also about 35% sugar, that can't be great for you. You could probably make the same kind of shake yourself using natural ingredients - I bet it would be more filling too!

They aren't 35% sugar. lol
  • momtoaimee
    momtoaimee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Did the nutritionist SELL you herbalife? If she did that seems very unethical. If you were an Herbalife user prior to her appointment, and wanted to stay on the products, then she designed a program for you around the shake. A lot of people on here will knock shakes (doesn't matter what kind), but for some of us, shakes are what can keep us on track.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

Is the nutritionist an Herbalife distributor?
    Because they sure sound like it. And they sold you a bum deal that you could have gotten for free here on MFP and a calorie deficit.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I used Herbalife in the past, more for convenience than anything else. Also my cousin is a distributor so I wanted to help him by buying shake powder.

Now it does indeed contain quite a bit of sugar, can't remember how much, but my mother who is slightly diabetic had to stop it. It does work, but it costs quite a bit of money and you can easily achieve the same result on your own.

I have now invested in a very good blender and make myself veggie smoothies for breakfast. They are less calories and more filling than Herbalife!

Anyhow, if you really believe in it than give it a try and see for yourself.

Best of luck
    Stef.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    You can take ANY DIET PLAN with a calorie deficit and it will work. What you have to think about, as mentioned above, is once you hit your goal, can you continue eating that way? If not, then chances are weight regain will happen.
    As a professional in the business, practically every person I've trained has dieted at least 2 times and lost some weight, but couldn't keep it off, so I'm there to help them figure out an actual program they can do for life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition