Question about beginning...

Options
Is it normal to diet all week (under calorie, fat, etc all week) and exercise but not lose ANYTHING? I weighed myself this morning and I was exactly the same - to the ounce - as I was when I started.

Advice?

Replies

• staceyb_2003
    staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    sorry i'm not quite sure but i'm interested too cos tahts what i've been comin across in teh past till i started here on the 1st
  • pricebs
    Options
    I am in the same mind set as you. Watched my calorie intake and increased my exercising and when I weighed this morning. NOTHING>>>>>!!!!! And i have to say its very disappointing.
  • MrsFoster18
    MrsFoster18 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is fairly normal. I'm no expert, but there could be several things causing this. 1) Perhaps it is water weight. Around 'that time of the month' our bodies retain water and can make you bloated and a bit heavier on the scale. 2) You could be gaining muscle mass and burning fat! 3) What type of exercising are you doing? Often, our bodies will lose weight once we first start out exercising, but after our bodies become adjusted to the exercise it is normal to reach a plateau. Perhaps try a different type of exercise all together to in a sense "shock" your body out of this plateau. Interval training can also be good for this. Hope this helps. Good luck to you.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not sure what to tell you without seeing your food diary. You can make it public and we can help you out there. Sometimes in the beginning your body just wants to hold on to all the water and weight...may take a few weeks for your body to get adjusted.
  • msolde
    msolde Posts: 3
    Options
    Don't give up!! It may take your body 2 or 3 weeks to get the weight loss message. depending on your age and weight.
  • mariasheehan
    Options
    are you drinking enough water? strange as it seems when our bodies are holding onto too much water, we need to drink lots in order to flush out the excess. Is it possible that you are eating foods that are high in sodium? you can track your sodium intake in your diary also. Too much sodium can cause you to gain water weight. Sounds like an odd question, but are you eating enough?? too few calories can make our bodies feel that it is being starved and will hold onto fat. If you're exercising are you eating your exercise calories??? It's important not to go below 1200 calories a day, so eating enough will send the right signals to your body.
  • Sjenkins0408
    Options
    I gained for the first 2 weeks (i was pissed!) and then started loosing a pound a week consistantly
  • pricebs
    Options
    are you drinking enough water? strange as it seems when our bodies are holding onto too much water, we need to drink lots in order to flush out the excess. Is it possible that you are eating foods that are high in sodium? you can track your sodium intake in your diary also. Too much sodium can cause you to gain water weight. Sounds like an odd question, but are you eating enough?? too few calories can make our bodies feel that it is being starved and will hold onto fat. If you're exercising are you eating your exercise calories??? It's important not to go below 1200 calories a day, so eating enough will send the right signals to your body.

So are you also to eat you "exercise calories"? I got so confused when I was reading that on the first time on this site.
  • witkinb
    Options
    I find the scale to be a very unfriendly and not very useful measuring tool... I use my belt loops to tell me how my diet is going. One thing you could try... don't weigh yourself for a full month. Work really hard on staying under calorie/fat etc.., do your cardio (or not, however you're doing it), and weigh yourself again one month later.
    That's what I did, and let me tell you, you'll feel 100 pounds lighter when the scale tells you how much you've lost.
    That worked for me, maybe it'll work for you
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,138 Member
    Options

So are you also to eat you "exercise calories"? I got so confused when I was reading that on the first time on this site.

Yes, you should be eating the calories added as earned for exercise.

Please read these, you'll understand how this all works!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions?page=1

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,281 Member
    Options
    You are getting some good advice here. Definitely take measurements as well. Even if you get 1200 calories but exercise alot and don't eat any exercise calories you can also stall out from your body going into survival mode. You need to get a feel of how your body works with all these factors that is why we log.
  • Kristina0202
    Kristina0202 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I started about a week and a half ago and I wasn't losing anything at all either, but then I got on the scale today and I lost two lbs. I guess it just takes a while for some people.
  • Lanna74
    Lanna74 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! I just need to keep going!