500 calories spare?

Options
Hiya =]

So I'm supposed to be eating 1400 calories, which I'm not finding too difficult - occasionally I'm over or under by 50 calories or so but it tends to even itself out over the course of the week, so I don't worry too much. However, today, I find myself with 534 calories spare. I've eaten a sensible breakfast, lunch and dinner, and I don't feel too hungry, but I know that eating so few calories isn't good for me.

So, any ideas what I could eat to bring me back up to speed? Although I'd love to, I don't want to sabotage my efforts by resorting to biscuits and coffee!!!

If it helps, so far today I have eaten:

porridge (made with milk) and jam
minestrone soup
lemon chicken and rice & salad

Thanks!

Replies

• BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    A handful of almonds is good for a couple of hundred. Maybe some yogurt?
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Hiya =]

So I'm supposed to be eating 1400 calories, which I'm not finding too difficult - occasionally I'm over or under by 50 calories or so but it tends to even itself out over the course of the week, so I don't worry too much. However, today, I find myself with 534 calories spare. I've eaten a sensible breakfast, lunch and dinner, and I don't feel too hungry, but I know that eating so few calories isn't good for me.

So, any ideas what I could eat to bring me back up to speed? Although I'd love to, I don't want to sabotage my efforts by resorting to biscuits and coffee!!!

If it helps, so far today I have eaten:

porridge (made with milk) and jam
    minestrone soup
    lemon chicken and rice & salad

Thanks!

You're fine. In this perticular case if you aren't hungry, don't eat. If most days you eat right around your goal, going low every now and then won't hurt you at all, and won't have a negative affect on your metabolism.
  • Dakota1235
    Options
    Going under 1200 calories can put your body into starvation mode = storing fat. Your body needs fuel to do it's work, and 900 calories a day is very little, especially if you're exercising as well. Try having an apple, or something like cottage cheese, or yogurt as a snack.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    have a glass of juice (200 or so calories) and a handful of nuts. That should eat up at least 400 cals and not very filling, yet good for you.
  • erickirb
    Options
    Going under 1200 calories can put your body into starvation mode = storing fat. Your body needs fuel to do it's work, and 900 calories a day is very little, especially if you're exercising as well. Try having an apple, or something like cottage cheese, or yogurt as a snack.

This only happens after a prolonged period (days or weeks) of under eating, not from one day.
  • erickirb
    Options
    Oops double post
  • angel17sa
    Options
    eat something high in protein or fiber..which will make u feel full & also lots of waterrr! im doing the power crunch bars , as a snack.! :]
  • Dakota1235
    Options

This only happens after a prolonged period (days or weeks) of under eating, not from one day.

LOL not for me, I know in my past efforts that even once a month fast days can really take a toll on my metabolism. The days I did best as far as weight loss are when I had gone slightly over the day before.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    [/quote]
    "You're fine. In this perticular case if you aren't hungry, don't eat. If most days you eat right around your goal, going low every now and then won't hurt you at all, and won't have a negative affect on your metabolism."
    [/quote]

It isn't quoting the above, but this is my reply to that comment.

No, no, no. This could cause your body to take in extra fat. Your body burns cals on it's own without any help with exercise so it does need these to function and you don't want to send your body into that starvation mode and want to hold on to that fat the next time around. You should start adding more fruit and veg to your diet. Even a high fiber cereal with milk. That is my treat at the end of the nights when I don't go over. Someone said nuts and yogurt-very good option. Nuts have a great healthy fat and you should be getting fat in your diet-your body needs it-the healthy kind:)!
  • TateFTW
    Options

"You're fine. In this perticular case if you aren't hungry, don't eat. If most days you eat right around your goal, going low every now and then won't hurt you at all, and won't have a negative affect on your metabolism."

It isn't quoting the above, but this is my reply to that comment.

No, no, no. This could cause your body to take in extra fat. Your body burns cals on it's own without any help with exercise so it does need these to function and you don't want to send your body into that starvation mode and want to hold on to that fat the next time around. You should start adding more fruit and veg to your diet. Even a high fiber cereal with milk. That is my treat at the end of the nights when I don't go over. Someone said nuts and yogurt-very good option. Nuts have a great healthy fat and you should be getting fat in your diet-your body needs it-the healthy kind:)!

"This could cause your body to take in extra fat."

From where. . .the air? Is there fat in the air now, because no one told me.

"You don't want to send your body into that starvation mode."

After ONE DAY? Do you even know what "starvation mode" is?

"...start adding fruits and veg to your diet."

She said that most of the time she eats right around her goal. Why are you suggesting any changes to her diet?

"Your body burns cals on it's own without any help with exercise so it does need these to function and you don't want to send your body into that starvation mode and want to hold on to that fat the next time around."

What?
  • TateFTW
    Options

She's not eating 900 calories A DAY, she's eating 900 calories TODAY.
  • Dakota1235
    Options
    Tate FTW Stop being so snarky, so you disagree, nutrition is not a perfect science and even the experts don't agree. No reason to disparage others for giving helpful advice.