Having a hard time eating (Morning) before exercise

Options
Hi! So I have read and read to fuel your work out and that If you don't eat before exercising you will be losing muscle instead of fat.
Now for time restraints in the evening I have changed my work out time to the morning. At 5:30am. I am not really hungry at this time, plus it seems you have to eat 1/2 hour to an hour before work out.
Now I am not going to get up at 430, eat and sit around till 530. Its not like i can shower, change, do my hair or anything in the mean time.
I do circuit training videos that only last 30 minutes. Does this change anything? Do I really need to fuel and how long before. I can handle 15 minutes before, but not an hour.
Maybe some simple carbs so they digest quickly, but if they have little/no nutritional value I feel like I'm eating crap just to eat something before a work out.
One more thing, I love to eat, I hate to "waste" a snack or meal by eating it when I'm not even hungry. I am counting my calories, so they count.
Any suggestions, advice or personal experiences?
I do notice i have less energy during my morning work outs then when i worked out in the evening. I don't want to go through the trouble of getting up early and half-assing a work out either. Help! (This would be a nice time for those personal trainers and certified I don't know what to chime in) : )

Replies

• lts42uk
    lts42uk Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I get up to work out at 5.30am and NEVER eat beforehand. I drink a cup of water and start. I've done 2 rounds of Insanity, Jillian Michaels, Bob Harper, and currently I'm doing Focus T25 with Insanity Upper Body Weight Training thrown in 3 times a week. I don't know if my performance suffers as I've never done it any other way! I know I'd puke if I ate anything! It's always worked for me and I don't feel the need to change it!
  • cropaway
    cropaway Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I worked out at 5 am and don't eat either- but usually feel sick so I try to eat half a banana, 6 raw almonds or a protein bar
  • Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I exercise every morning at 0530. I do not eat first. I have tried and it always makes me nauseated. Some people do just fine eating before working out. I think you really just have do do what works for you. I have plenty of energy and do just fine. Yes, I know my opinion will not be very popular and I am OK with that.
  • novembersuse
    novembersuse Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I run at 6, and go to it straight from my bed. I couldn't stomach anything at that hour anyway, and it doesn't seem to be doing any harm to my routine. I figure that if I can just about manage to get myself out the door and round my route, I'm not going to derail myself by introducing rules about eating. :tongue:
  • mrsmars2014
    mrsmars2014 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find that if I try to eat before I work out, at any time of day, I feel sick during my work out. The harder I work, the more sick I feel. Protein shakes seem to be key for me- through a 1/2 banana and some protein powder in with some water or almond milk and I am good to go- not too much but it does help you power through the work out.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Eat when it works for you. You don't *have* to eat before you work out, unless not eating makes you feel sick or sluggish.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I work out at 5am, and never eat before either.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat. It's preference.

For me personally, I perform better when I have something in my system. I always eat dinner about 45 minutes before my volleyball games. When I play on an empty stomach, I get more worn out. Also, I tend to get nauseated and dizzy when I work out on an empty stomach.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    You could always have a last minute snack before you go to bed the night before...peanut butter and jelly perhaps.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    If I workout on a morning I never eat before. I generally workout from 5am - 6am. I have a glass of chocolate almond milk around 6.30 and then breakfast at work around 8.30 and that works well for me.

I do eat dinner pretty late, around 8.30pm. I don't know if that makes a difference but it's never caused any problems for me.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Hi! So I have read and read to fuel your work out and that If you don't eat before exercising you will be losing muscle instead of fat.
    Now for time restraints in the evening I have changed my work out time to the morning. At 5:30am. I am not really hungry at this time, plus it seems you have to eat 1/2 hour to an hour before work out.
    Now I am not going to get up at 430, eat and sit around till 530. Its not like i can shower, change, do my hair or anything in the mean time.
    I do circuit training videos that only last 30 minutes. Does this change anything? Do I really need to fuel and how long before. I can handle 15 minutes before, but not an hour.
    Maybe some simple carbs so they digest quickly, but if they have little/no nutritional value I feel like I'm eating crap just to eat something before a work out.
    One more thing, I love to eat, I hate to "waste" a snack or meal by eating it when I'm not even hungry. I am counting my calories, so they count.
    Any suggestions, advice or personal experiences?
    I do notice i have less energy during my morning work outs then when i worked out in the evening. I don't want to go through the trouble of getting up early and half-assing a work out either. Help! (This would be a nice time for those personal trainers and certified I don't know what to chime in) : )
    What you have heard is a misconception. You dont need to eat beforehand. When I PT in the morning I never eat before.

Now..if I am doing a competitive race I will get up extra early to have something for it, but just for exercise I wouldnt fret it.
  • buzybev
    buzybev Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I get up every day at 5:40am to circuit train/run. I usually have a few sips of water and then I get on with my workout, shower and head out. Usually don't eat breakfast until 8:15am at work. Whenever I eat/drink too much before a workout I end up feeling queasy or getting intense side stitches. "Fasted" cardio/workouts work best for me currently. This will probably change once I start/get serious about heavy lifting.