Bike riding NSV

Options
funkygas
funkygas Posts: 191 Member
I am a slow rider on my bike. I mean really slow. My kids ride circles around me! But for the majority of my working life, we have lived close enough to the office that I have been able to ride my bike to work, thus freeing up the car for my husband to use (we have always been a 1-car family).

I have worked in the same office for nearly 11 years, and it's halfway up a really steep hill. For the first 9 years of riding to work, I made it all the way up the hill maybe 5 or 6 times in total. In April this year we moved about further away from the office, doubling the distance I needed to ride. There are some pretty decent hills between the house and the office now, and riding 10km each way, 5 days a week, tires my legs quite a bit.

But this week, I have made it up that last hill 4 DAYS IN A ROW!! And, I've overtaken a total of 3 people on the bike track this week as well. I don't know whether it's because I've cut out the rest of the exercise I was doing to try to save the energy in my legs, or that I'm eating more consistently, but whatever ... I'm ecstatic that that last hill doesn't look like a mountain any more in the mornings!

Replies

• colibri23
    colibri23 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    That's a fantastic NSV!! I, too, ride to work each and every day. We have almost the exact same distance to/from work; I find that it's a nice ride and wakes me up in the morning more than coffee does. I can relate to it really tiring out your legs---for most exercise you're supposed to rest the muscle groups on "off" days, but when your exercise is commuting to work, there are no off days lol! As I've lost weight, I've gotten faster on my bike and it's one of my happiest NSV. I also LOVE passing by the long lines of rush hour traffic. I hate driving in heavy traffic, so by-passing it while getting exercise, saving money (no gas) AND not polluting the environment is what I call a triple win!! Happy biking :drinker:
  • funkygas
    Options
    I love riding alongside the highway and seeing all the cars stuck in traffic - it would take the same time for me to drive to the office as it does for me to ride, and that's including the shower at work!

I tried doing my strength 3x week and cardio 2-3x week as well as riding but I just couldn't do it. Now that I'm starting to get a bit more strength in my legs, I might try doing some more in the mornings before riding to work. I just have to get out of the mentality that 'I rode to work, I can fit in another cookie' - just keep logging everything I guess!
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    YAY! What an AWESOME NSV! Those hills are buggers I know! I hate hills. I detest 'em. The only GOOD hill is a DOWNhill in my book! And any UPhill wish always for a TAILwind. Your commute is 6.2mi each way? 15mi round trip is a nice commute. Awesome. I too am a bicyclist. I adore playing in traffic. :bigsmile: Isn't it cool when you pass a looooong line of parked bumper-to-bumper traffic and sail into your destination! And get Front Row parking too. heheheheh

And yes as you bike more and more, you will see yourself getting more "bike fit". Personally I wouldn't do anymore cardio. Biking is cardio and it works your quads/hamstrings/core/shoulders. I would strengthen your core, shoulders, arms, and back muscles with weight or resistance training. That's just my opinion tho. And yoga works great for stretching and lengthening, too.

:smile:

(etided a typo cuz frankly am too tired to be on a computer)
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    Awesome NSV!!!! I love the non-scale victories. They really show the improvements in health that have been made! Great job!
  • OPile
    OPile Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    That's brilliant!!! I've recently started riding a bike and started attempting hills last week. SO not fun. So well done!!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    That's a great NSV!

I've been trying to start bike commuting regularly too (I have a somewhat unpredictable evening schedule, which makes it more challenging). My ride has no challenging hills, as where I live is really flat, but it's a little more than 8 miles each way and when I first started I found it a pretty exhausting ride. It's been really fun working up to where it's no big deal and I might even extend it some.

Hills, though, always impress me, I'm so out of practice with them.
  • grrrlwonder
    grrrlwonder Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Awesome NSV! I'm a bike commuter too, conquering hills, while awful, give the BEST endorphins when you're done!
    I just have to get out of the mentality that 'I rode to work, I can fit in another cookie' - just keep logging everything I guess!

Also, this.

I spent too much time eating like I'd just finished the Tour de France, after my 5 mile commute. Thank goodness for MFP!
  • funkygas
    Options
    Just have to post again ...

Today was 5 DAYS IN A ROW!!

Although I am very thankful that tomorrow starts the weekend and my legs get a rest!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Just have to post again ...

Today was 5 DAYS IN A ROW!!

Although I am very thankful that tomorrow starts the weekend and my legs get a rest!

Great for you! The longer and harder you ride on your recreational rides, the easier the hill will become. I have 3-mile ride to work, with a hill at the end. Six years ago it was a daunting hill. Now it's just an annoyance, because if I go up it too fast, I sweat in my work clothes.

Rest is good, too, though. When you challenge yourself, you need to allow some recovery time.
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    That's great! I have had to dismount my bike and walk it on hills, so kudos to you!! You are getting stronger and healthier!:flowerforyou:
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    great stuff! keep it up!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    This...
    doubling the distance I needed to ride.

means miles in legs which equals this
    But this week, I have made it up that last hill 4 DAYS IN A ROW!!

which equals....

awesome ;)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!